Experiencing major crashes with the DP-24

FenderStringBender

From
Atlanta GA
Gear owned
Tascam DP-24
Hi All,

I bought a new DP-24 about a month ago. I immediately updated it to the latest firmware. I did some basic recording with it on my own where I never recorded more that one simultaneous track. Everything seemed to work fine.

I now have it set up in my band practice room and we are recording drum tracks and using 8 Tracks simultaneously. Everything seems to work fine until we experience random crashes where the DP-24 simply shuts off as if the power cord we're pulled out. After a little time it will boot back up.

The crashes are random. Usually during playback.

I am recording at 24 bit 44.1k. I am using a brand new 32 gig sdhc that was freshly formatted before we started. I am running the guitar sim effect on channel 8, but everything else has no effect at this point. Just some EQ. I am using phantom power on the last 4 inputs for the overheads.

I am at a loss for what to do. if anybody has an idea it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Last edited:
Hey Tom -

Bummer you're having this issue. Since you didn't mention it I'll go here... have you checked your power supply chain thoroughly. The way you're describing that the power just goes completely off - suddenly - makes me wonder if there is not a weak point in that chain somewhere. Perhaps the wall outlet itself may be faulty? Power strip? Etc...

Tom, David is right. I believe it's correct to say that no software glitch would cause a sudden shutdown. Typically, the worst case failure is a total lockup that requires a power disconnect, with resultant data corruption of that song.

When you say that after awhile "it will boot back up" does that mean it comes back on by itself, or did you mean that you can restart the machine by pressing the power button?

Hi MJK,

I have to press the power button to turn it back on, I agree that a power issue makes sense. It worked fine when it was at my home, and this issue only occurred after moving it to our practice room where there are various power strips. I am going to bring it back home and test, and if all is good, then when I bring it back I will try removing from the power strip and sending it direct to an outlet.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will keep you posted!

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi Fender. Next time it goes out, put your DMM across 2 prongs in that outlet strip and see if you have line voltage there (or check the lights, if so equipped). If you do, check the 12v DC out of the Tascam power supply. That will tell the story. Yes, please do let us know what you find.

Reactions: db24
Fender, we like success stories!

It seems that if something happens with the power, it is ALWAYS the take of a lifetime that is lost!

I have an APC uninterruptible power supply that I bought from a thrift store. They are practically indestructible, and usually sell for around $10. A new battery is around $15.

That feeds two 12 outlet power strips from Harbor Freight. Under $20 each with a coupon. This is plenty of capacity for a home studio, if there are no big transformers or big tubes.

The setup provides plenty of outlets, filtered power, some capacity to shut down properly if the power goes off, and lots of new and properly-fitting AC outlets.

Matt, you are so right about that take - "It was going to be my best one!"

Reactions: FenderStringBender
I got a "Data Error" message on my DP24SD last night while doing some vocal recording on tracks 8,9,10 and 11. The Screen locked up and the playback what stuck in a glitch. I had to completely shut down then boot up again. Anyone else experience this?

@Powerman6900 yes. Please check out the thread dealing with approved SD cards.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.