Exporting Separate Tracks from DP-24 into Windows 7 - PC computer/Reaper

mcurran

Gear owned
DP-24
Hi All

I've learned how to export a mixed final .WAV file into Reaper from the DP-24, using Audio Depot.

But how would I export separate unmixed tracks from the DP-24 into Reaper [Windows 7 - PC computer] so that each track is separate and will appear on separate tracks in Reaper - and how would I get them to sync up together?

Reactions: -mjk-
You use the Audio Depot. Menu → Audio Depot, then select all tracks, then hit export. Have a cup of coffee; this process can take 10 or 20 minutes if one has a lot of tracks. When everything is done, hook up a USB cable to your computer, go to Menu → USB, make sure the USB interface is activated, and the individual tracks will be in the folder “AUDIO DEPOT”

(If you need the cable, which Tascam does not provide, it’s a USB mini A to USB B cable. An older Android phone uses USB micro A to USB B, which will not work. Here’s one link showing the correct cable to use with a DP Portastudio: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH11N5A/ )

Importing these WAV files in to one’s DAW should be straightforward; if not, contact the support team for the DAW being used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
I've done this (actually produced a CD with the DP24 and Reaper) ... use the EXPORT function, as above. Once on your PC create a new Reaper project. Select Insert/Media Items, select files from the folder you saved them to, then select Separate tracks. Reaper will import your files. Save your project.

If you're going to be doing this for more than one song it will behoove you understand Reaper's options for the storage of the stems, and get things organized before you start importing. For instance, in settings you should tell Reaper to create a new folder for every new Reaper project when it's created (project1 etc), which you would do BEFORE you add any files to the project. You should also name the folder in which Reaper finds the project's tracks, which will always be under the Reaper project folder (always "Audio Files" as below). Getting organized BEFORE you start working will go a long way to keeping things straight later.

My usual directory tree goes like this (for clarity every line should be indented below the one above it, but this lame editor won't do that!):

Drive name
Reaper
Project1 name (usually song name)
Audio Files
Trackname1.wav
Trackname2.wav
Project2 name (usually song name)
Audio Files
Trackname1.wav
Trackname2.wav

This forum isn't about Reaper, so perhaps I've already said too much. ;-)

Thank you, RustyAx. One question though - would the tracks all be synced up automatically in Reaper once they got transferred over from the Tascam DP-24 or would they all have to shifted around manually to line up?

The tracks should be synced up. They only would need to be lined up if one does not use Audio Depot. So use Audio Depot.

Yes ... using EXPORT will consolidate whatever takes and such into a single WAV for that track, inserting silence where necessary so the tracks line up. A common mistake is to try to import the various stems into Reaper by just copying. EXPORT solves the issue.

One thing I noticed durng this process is it's hard to sync the tracks I've previously recorded on my DAW [Reaper] with the tracks I've flown in from the DP-24.

The DP-24 tracks are all in sync, along with the submix I exported from Reaper into DP-24 to record vocals, but several things have come up.

First of all, 1] lining up the original tracks with the DP-24 tracks is proving a challenge and 2] I'm getting a little note above all the tracks I've flown in that says 'resampled from '44000hz'. Does this mean that the quality is not as good for the resampled tracks flown in from the DP-24? Should this be a concern?

A third issue is I definitely notice a big difference in quality between the original recorded tracks in my DAW and those same tracks submixed down to my DP-24, though I thought with digital there should be no difference. I transferred them flat no EQ.

1. Syncing separate batches of tracks on different devices is easier if you've set up a reference pulse (or drum hit) at the start of each track, but if you didn't do this from the outset, I can only suggest moving the tracks by ear and/or visual inspection of the waveforms... unless you can utilize the midi sync function on the dp24 - I don't have this model so can't advise.
2. Depends how picky you are - can you hear a difference? If it's an issue, you need to decide what quality setting you want before recording, then configure Reaper and the dp24 to be the same.
3. "I transferred them flat no EQ" has no meaning if you're using the DP's Export function. It processes the raw tracks as they were recorded so EQ & FX settings are ignored unless they are in the original recording. Anything you add in the track playback path just affects what you hear during playback, or what is recorded in the mixdown file.

mccurran, it sounds like you have your DP machine set for 16 bit/44.1 kHz and Reaper is set for a higher resolution. There is no difference between like resolutions. If there is a difference, then they are indeed different, but it's the recording resolution, not the transfer.

Ideally (actually it's almost required) that the files in Reaper are recorded at the same resolution as the files in the DP24. If not, the Reaper insert will attempt to resample the incoming tracks to match. And it's there you lose your fidelity.

MJK beat me to it by a minute.

You right on top of it @RustyAxe! I'm a fellow Reaper user, but I do all my recording in the DP and use Reaper for mixing (at least that's the plan!).

Reactions: RustyAxe
I think you might get a better result if you use Reaper to render the native Reaper track(s) to WAV file(s) as 16/44.1, and then use those rendered tracks in a new Reaper project, then import the files from the DP24.

Personally, I don't do anything less than 24b/48k.

@-mjk- ... me too. I produced a CD last year (had it mastered professionally, tho) with the DP24 and Reaper. You might find it out there on iTunes ... "Berkshire Serenade".

Who did your mastering?

I don't remember ... the artist I was recording arranged it. I did the bass on the recordings, and did the mixing. It was tough. Every song was one take, no overdubs. The goal was to make it sound like it would if it were a live performance (sans audience). All suggestions to add instrumentation were shot down as "inauthentic". I can't say I'm especially proud of the end result, but the artist was happy.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.