External mixing

David C

From
Nashville
Gear owned
DP-32SD
I got may DP-32 last December. I'm interested in mixing and adding effects through software after recording tracks on DP-32. Is it possible to transfer wave files to aa sotware program, add effects and master? Anyone mixed this way? If so which program have you used?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reactions: David C
I've been exporting and importing for various reasons for awhile. Now I'm looking into more effects, better compression. I like the DP-32 recording convenience. I can get two players over to demo a new song- drums (live), guitar, bass, scratch vocal- then dub final tracks etc. You know the drill. It's a very quick interface. I just need better effects. If there was more variety in the effects modules, this recorder would cost quite a bit more. I understand that. So Studio One looks real promising for mix down. I'll checkout Traction as well. I don't plan to record any other way yet but that'll probably happen.

I import all recorded tracks to Samplitude. As with other DAWs, there's loads of effects and tricks you can do once it's on the computer, as well as the final mix down and applying mastering effects, followed by positioning track markers and burning a CD if reqd. I'm stuck in my old ways, so it only stays in the DAW if it's a simple job, otherwise I just do the front-end editing on the DAW - removing unwanted sounds, fixing timing etc. then transfer the tracks to a free-standing multi-track recorder with analogue mixer and outboard effects for the remaining processing. The final mix/master then goes back to the DAW for final tweaks and burning to CD or converting to MP3.

Yes. I export individual tracks to Reaper on my laptop for things like pitch correction, time correction, track invert, etc. Reverb, echo and compression would be just as easy. One can either sync the tracks on the DP and on the computer to get a feel for the sound of the track in the full mix, or process, return it to the DP and listen.

I mix on the DP (with some external effects) and export again to Reaper for mastering.

Great help Phil and Matt. I’ve got some some good direction.

Phil: what is your free standing multi track recorder of choice when you get stuck in your “old ways?”

I have an SD slot in my PC, today I transfered a few tracks manually for the first time. Four stereo stems from a Reaper project. 44.1@16bit both sides. Named BASS.wav etc. I selected a Stereo track to Import to and..."Can't Import the Track". I'll try again later, was invaded by kids.

David - Fostex D2424 - 24 balanced 1/4" TRS jacks in and out - lots of wires :)
Brian - assuming the song on the dp24 is the correct format, does Reaper offer an 'export' option? I've come across cases where the normal 'save as' option with some DAWs embeds extra data which can confuse other systems.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.