Extra mics

Berend Klompsma

Gear owned
Tascam dp-008ex
Good morning,

I recently purchased a second hand Tascam dp-008ex.
A the back you can connect two mics on XLR.
There are also two jack entries, e.g for guitar.
Is it possible to connect two extra mics, using jack-to-XLR 3p (female) plugs/wires?

Greetings,

Berend Klompsma
Winsum-Groningen
The Netherlands

Welcome to the show. My best friend (in Colorado, USA) is from N'lands!

GREAT little unit - I have one myself. I recommend that you read the stickies (pinned posts at the top of forums), and keep your owner's manual handy and read it/refer to it - often. YouTube is also occasionally useful.

I have NEVER tried connecting multiple inputs to the same input (A or B) but I strongly suspect this is not possible (you must use one or the other; the two jack types are provided so you can connect various signal-sources, but not at the same time).
For example, the XLR is for Lo-Z mic's or inputs; the 1/4" is for Hi-Z, like guitar/bass, or even a keyboard. And of course you can use the appropriate one for an interface's output of your choice (they often have both).

The actual answer would likely be in your manual. Or perhaps the smart guyz here on the forum who actually know their stuff can chime in...

If you REALLY need to have more than 2 inputs going at once (for example, mic'ing multiple band members/instruments, etc) - you'll have to use a mixer PRIOR to the DP. The only challenge there is you can't mix AFTER recording...the DP can only record 2 tracks at a time.

Last edited:
Hi Shredd,

thanks for the welcome. I unfortunately have no best friend in the USA, but acquaintances are good enough!
I hoped it would be possible against beter judgement.
They are my first steps in the world of audio recording although I had a Zoom H2 in the past. That was rather straight forward, I had nice recordings with that but probably nothing compared to a recording with my Tascam.
Maybe indeed someone else has a great idea. I'll wait for that and will start in the meantime experimenting.

Greeting from The Netherlands,

Berend

Hi Berend, another Dutchman here :)

Welkom in het forum!

The DP-008 allows 2 XLR connections, two line connections (of which A can be guitar) and has two built-in mics. All of these pairs are called A and B, and you have to select which A and which B to use during recording. See page 42 of the manual. Use the Input Setting/ EQ/ Dyn button to get to that menu.

Also, connecting mics to the Line A and B input could be tricky: they don't have phantom power so you may not have enough signal coming in..

Ik hoop dat je hier wat aan hebt. Groetjes, Arjan

Reactions: -mjk- and shredd
See - told ya there was smart guys here. Arjan is a real pro - AND speaks Dutch!!!
Me - I have to remember which way the pointy end of the guitar goes every time I sit down to play...:oops:

I forgot about the input-select process...as he mentioned, you have to choose what each input (A and B) are 'configured' for - when you set it in that menu he mentioned, it sets that input up to be appropriate for your intended source. AND, in that same menu area, you have the option to turn on phantom power for a condenser mic.

So - to go back to your OP (and my reply): no, I don't imagine that attaching two sources to the same input would work...so if you're not single-tracking (say, recording multiple players at a time?) - you'll need to mix externally first.

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.