Failing ADAT port on DM3200

wm_b

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
It looks like the built-in ADAT port on my DM3200 is going out. It started this weekend on a session and after some trials this afternoon I have determined that it's the ADAT IN port on the mixer and not from the OUTPUT device. I did some swapping around with a couple different ADAT out devices and the problem remained regardless of what was going into it. It starts as some single pops like it's out of sync and then increases to a more constant series of pops until it kind of gives up and the pops are no longer mixed with whatever audio is going into it. I have also tried replacing the cable. This is a system that's been up and running well for a long time and nothing has changed with regard to the ADAT connections.

My system is clocked via an Apogee AD16x using a BNC cable.

What are my options? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not far from Anaheim if they still do service there. I'm a competent tech and have done plenty of my own service including replacing the power supply in my DM24 many years ago. I have an old DM24 that is still functioning but not in use. I also have 2 Tascam ADAT cards that are also not in service (and don't do SMUX).

I have a DM4800 that is going to be replacing this DM3200 and also changing the entire way my system is setup but I'm not really ready to make that leap. If I can pull the mixer out and swap a part I am more attracted to that for the short term than moving up my plans to rebuild and re-cable my entire workspace.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to plan the transition to the DM4800 sooner. Because you can easily and quickly save and load entire configurations, you could configure the DM4800 to be the same as your current DM3200. As you start to change over to your new, planned setup, you can do so in stages, if need be, by saving incremental steps of the configuration changes as you make them. When you need to go back to the current configuration, you just load it. I realize that cable patching changes are more manual, but at least this approach provides a path for you to transition to your larger mixer, and to working ADAT ports. It'll be somewhat of a pain to go back and forth as far as cable changes go, but hopefully, not a large one, and it keeps you in an operational mode.

As an aside, one thing I've wondered about, but don't know the answer, is whether or not you can load a DM3200 configuration into the DM4800. Obviously, you'd only be loading 48 channels of settings into a 64 channel board, but if this is possible, it would make the transition faster. Someone on this forum likely knows whether or not this is possible to do. I can come up with reasons that it won't work, but Tascam may have provided a path as an incentive for customers to upgrade easily if their needs increased.

I can certainly appreciate the idea because I've been here before - necessity driving haste. My place really needs to have the weeds trimmed back if you know what I'm saying. I've had a version of this setup in place for well over a decade. This DM3200 was dropped in place after pulling out my DM24. There's a lot of cables in this desk that need to go, including the desk! I have to re-rack a bunch of digital hardware and get rid of retired equipment. Trying to do it partially will just mean that I'll get busy and it won't get done.

I completely understand your dilemma. Every 4 or 5 years, I disconnect all of my cables and remove rack equipment that I haven't been using. I always hate to part with cherished pieces, but if I'm not using it and can't foresee using it, I'm better off selling it or giving it to a friend in need. The process not only simplifies my set up, it cleans out the clutter (and, of course, makes room for new stuff. :) )

Regardless, my current plan is to do that in the next few weeks. It makes it feel like a new studio again, which is always fun.

Oh! One more thing: when you do undergo the clean-up, please share with us what you're doing, perhaps I'll do the same. It's a good way for us all to share helpful tips and ideas among ourselves.

When I installed the DM 3200 I culled out a bunch of cables and made the transition to the firewire card from a M-audio lightbridge. Before the lightbridge I had a motu 2408 mk3 pci. I moved to the lightbridge because it was cheaper than upgrading to the pci-e motu card once I had to move on to a new computer.

My new setup will be very clean, and with the added slots on the 4800 my converters will connect exclusively via two AES cards. My headphone monitoring system will also be far more concise. I'm also going to ditch this huge desk I've had for a long time. I've been dreaming about it for ages.

I want my regular rig to be as close to portable as possible. That's my goal: capable and concise. I wish there was a Madi interface card for these mixers. OMG! I am so done with all these 8 channel formats. It's like the fax machine of digital audio.

I like the direction in which you're going; I just don't know how close you can get to being portable with a 70 lb. DM4800 mixer. Perhaps 2 separate systems, one stationary and one portable might be more doable. That said, I especially agree with your quest for cleanness and simplicity. That has also become my credo and the reason I have these periodic "de-clutter" episodes.

Reactions: wm_b
It's not going to be portable in the sense that it would fit into a laptop bag but I will be able to make any location into a fully operational studio without much effort. I like working with bands where I have a PA setup alongside a headphone monitoring situation so tracking, rehearsing and the feeling of gigging are all intermingled.

Reactions: skier
I think that's a great approach and can bring a "live" feeling to a somewhat studio recording!

Does the problem remain when you select the ADAT as the clock master instead of the Word Clock?

Hi Redbus,

I didn't get the chance to find out and even if it worked because I swapped out my DM3200 for my DM4800 which is handling audio fine (but TMC is currently not working). I should make clear that this EXACT configuration has been working since about 2013 or so. It only just had this issue come up. I have a 4 day booking starting Monday and just didn't have time to fool around past last Thursday when I started pulling gear out for re-racking and getting rid of a large piece of studio furniture to make way for the DM4800.

I am currently more confused by the TMC issue that didn't exist when the DM3200 was installed. All I did as far as the computer is concerned is swap the mixer attached to the firewire card (same card) and the USB cable. Anyway, that's another thread.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.