Files are transferred to the computer, but now I'm stuck

Zeke

From
Central Wisconsin
Gear owned
DP-24SD
Yes, I watched Phil's video on importing/exporting, several times. I have the individual tracks that make up a song on the computer, just like they're shown on the video, but I don't understand how to put them all together so they can play at the same time. Could someone please explain what to do in a step-by-step process, as if you were telling someone who is technologically impaired. Thanks so much.

Do you have recording software on your computer?

Zeke, you need an audio player program which plays multiple tracks (files) simultaneously. As far as I know, Windows Media Player only handles one file at a time so would only be useful for playing either individual tracks or the final stereo mix file if you did the mixdown on the dp machine. Look for DAW programs.... free ones are available, such as Audacity. Typically you'd 'import' each of the files you exported from the Tascam into separate tracks in the DAW, then you can play them all back in sync, apply FX etc. then mixdown to a single file. There are loads of possibilities, such as exporting the processed tracks from the DAW back to individual wave files again and importing them back into the dp machine for further processing there - do this as many times as you like - or have patience! - the transfers incur no loss in quality. The exact step-by-step process depends on the DAW you use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lasvideo
Zeke, unless you wish to do some specific audio processing on the computer, there's no reason to transfer the files to the computer. The DP machines can record, mixdown and master on their own without a computer.

Unless I'm misunderstanding - it sounds like Zeke simply needs to create a MIXDOWN file (or a bounced-to-a-stereo-pair file) - move that to his computer and then play that using WMP.

If that is the case Zeke - rather than walking you through that here - I suggest that you watch Tipping tutorials 9 and 10. The process of either creating a Mixdown file - or a bounced stereo pair file - will "sum" (or the more proper term is "mix") all your individual tracks together so that they can be played/heard all at the same time using WMP. It's a fairly simple process - and those tutorials explain everything in explicit detail.

Last edited:
My goal is to move some background music tracks to the computer as WAV files so my wife and I can sing & play along with them in churches. I tried Audacity. It combined the tracks together in a single wav, but sounded a little fuzzy. Today I tried to watch videos # 9 and 10 but things get bogged down with our poor internet service and can't even get through one video now. Can I bounce and still have stereo? How about if I mix down? I'm not seeing enough for me to understand in the book. We would like the instruments in the WAV to be fully panned Left and a vocal to be fully panned Right. If this could be worked out soon, I think my family would be as grateful as I would be. I've been consumed by this this for 2 1/2 days now, and am getting a little stinky and greasy looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveman
Zeke, the quick and dirty version:
Enter Mixdown mode
Set the In and Out points for the start and end of the song
Set the pan controls for the individual tracks where you want them
Set the fader levels where you need them for each track
Set the Stereo Master Fader all the way up
Press Play to listen/verify the song sounds the way you want it.
Make sure the stereo master meters stay barely in the green
Rewind to the In/start point
Press the record button
Sit back and watch the blinking lights
When the recording is finished, return to Multitrack mode
Turn off the DP.

Take the SD card out of the DP and put it into your computer.
Copy the {songname}.WAV file from the MUSIC\{songname} folder on the SD card to your computer.

You're done. You now have a stereo recording ready to play.

(Guys, jump in if I've missed anything)

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Do you ever wonder why, if there's a one in a million chance of something happening, why must it happen to me? It happens more often than I want to think about.
The files transferred O.K. from the SD card to the computer. They were playing back in both channels, but not the same as in the DP-24SD, where the instruments were only in the Left channel and the voice only in the Right channel. I checked the DP and they were still panned the way I originally moved them.
Thanks so much for your help so far. I must be doing something wrong somewhere, but just can't figure out where.

Hmmm... could this be a settings thing in WMP, I wonder?

Hang in there, Zeke. You'll get there. And, no doubt, learn some stuff along the way.

I agree with David. Likely a setting in WMP. Try also playing the stereo file using Audacity.

Last edited:
In Windows 10 Audio settings - there is an option to set audio output to mono... may want to check that.

The stereo works correctly with Audacity but sounds a little fuzzy, Mark. David, I don't believe there is an option like that. There are too many deadlines we need to meet this coming week. I must loose this battle to win the war. For now we're going to have to put the voice with the instruments on 2 mono tracks. Too much to learn . . . too little time . . . too little brain. Thanks so much for your help. Will look into this later, when we get back from an upcoming concert and my brain isn't so full.

Best of luck Zeke. If you followed the steps from Mark et al, the (single) mix file created would be correctly panned. If you are still using the individual track files exported via AudioDepot, they will not contain any panning information.... but as you say, best wait till you have more time to digest all this. By the way, all the tutorial videos are available on a single DVD so you can play them without relying on the internet - not much help for now, but maybe for the future :)

I'm still at this. Could our computer be malfunctioning? :
I have a completed song with full panning on the DP-24SD. I remove the SD card and put it in the computer (not using WMP). I open it and it plays back mono.

Do you have access to another computer to check against?

If you are creating a stereo file on the DP - and it plays back in stereo on the DP - and you move it to a computer and everything is forced to mono----> it *has* to be a settings issue or some problem with the computer.

Reactions: -mjk-
I finally found another computer with an SD slot. I loaded and played the song and the panning was better. The right channel still bled a little into the left channel and vice-versa (maybe 10-15%). Has anyone else ever transferred a fully panned song before? If so, is this what's normal? And, is there anyway around this? Questions, questions, ………

{EDIT: Zeke, looks like we cross posted.Glad you're making progress. Bleeding (crosstalk) particularly at the level you're experiencing, is a weakness in the playback system usually. However, some sound cards and playback software allow the user to turn a certain amount of cross-talk on, calling it something like a "stereo enhancement" feature.}

Zeke, I agree with David. If the song is playing in stereo and in the way you intended (panned L/R) when you play it back in Master mode on the DP, then the .wav file is a stereo file, and the issue is with either: the computer's operating system settings; the computer's sound card settings; the .wav file playback software settings; the wiring of the computer speakers (less likely); or the wiring of the computer's headphone jack (also less likely).

Let's break this down to a basics checklist so you can better trouble shoot this issue:

A. Things to check on your DP-24SD:
  1. On the DP, are you listening to the playback in Master mode?
  2. On the DP, are you listening to playback with headphones or speakers? If listening with speakers, switch to headphones.
  3. Determine the sampling/bit rate of your song (Menu/Information).
B. Use your DP-24SD's USB port to connect to your computer.

C. COPY your {songname}.WAV file from the Music\{Songname} folder on your DP/24SD to your computer

D. Disconnect your DP-24SD from the computer using the prescribed procedure.

E. Things to check on your computer:
  1. What operating system are you using?
  2. Is the operating system the original sold with and installed on the computer?
  3. Are the operating system updates current?
  4. Are the sound card updates current?
  5. On the computer, are you using headphones or speakers to listen to the playback? If speakers, switch to headphones.
  6. Make sure your sound card is configured for stereo
  7. Make sure the audio software and sound card match/can play your song's sample/bit rate.
  8. Do other songs (commercially recorded) that you have on your computer playback in stereo?
F. Confirm how you are listening on your computer:
  1. Is your .wav file player up to date?
  2. Are any .wav file player "enhancements" turned on? (use the software's Help file if not sure how to determine this)
Hope these steps help you solve the problem.

Last edited:
Problem solved! Our Dell laptop has an internal problem and needs the main brain replaced. I don't believe that's going to happen though, because the repair is going to cost at least $200. Anyway, I'm using another laptop and everything is panning the way it should and everything is crystal clear. I'm happier than a fly who just discovered a fresh new cow patty.

Wow Zeke, what a freak failure! Glad you got that figured out. I'm curious how you arrived at the conclusion that the computer had a serious hardware issue. I probably wouldn't have considered that.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.