Peter Batah

Soundaholic
From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
Hello all. I was hoping that someone might assist me with choosing the right Firewire cable. I need to test the functionality of an IF-FW/DMMKII expansion card that is currently installed in a used DM-3200 that I am looking at purchasing. I will be using an HP Compaq nx9420 laptop to verify connectivity. It appears that the IEEE 1394 Port on the laptop is 4-pin. Will there be an issue if I can locate a 4 to 6 pin Firewire cable? And should both ends be female?

Thank you

Peter

Attachments

• hp_nx9420_imprint_left.jpg
    hp_nx9420_imprint_left.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
Hello @Rockum As it would be simply for the sole purpose of verifying the expansion card I would need no more than 6 feet and probably could do with 3. From the DM to the laptop basically. Thanks so much for the reply by the way. Peter

I have never tried a 4 wire to 6 to know if it works. We might want to get verification, but if it does, I might have one I could send you. No charge other than the shipping. Doubt it could be much they are light.

Last edited:
The Amazon cable looks right (if 4 pin to 6 works). The Maddison cable is NOT the correct cable.

Looks like the Amazon cable is currently unavailable unfortunately. I'm curious @Rockum what is wrong with the Maddison cable? Update. I just saw what was wrong with Maddison product that I sent you, it's an extension cable. That's not right of course.

I have to have one by Wednesday night.

Thanks for your input. Peter

Last edited:
The Maddison cable is incorrect, the pins needs to be like the cable in the first link.. one side is totally different.

I just looked. I have 4 of these cables. I don't need 4 of these cables. I'll probably never need more than one.

I have one in a bag that has never been opened. I am guessing it is 3 - 6 feet. I have another one that is Apple brand and it is 6 feet. It doesn't look as fresh. If you want either of them, I can go to the post office and find the shipping. They are both very light.

It would be nice if someone with 4 pin experience would speak up before I drive over though.

The second Maddison cable looks correct.

Reactions: Peter Batah
I can't confirm the 4 to 6 pin configuration works. Didn't even know that format existed until tonight.

I just looked. I have 4 of these cables. I don't need 4 of these cables. I'll probably never need more than one.

I have one in a bag that has never been opened. I am guessing it is 3 - 6 feet. I have another one that is Apple brand and it is 6 feet. It doesn't look as fresh. If you want either of them, I can go to the post office and find the shipping. They are both very light.

It would be nice if someone with 4 pin experience would speak up before I drive over though.
I really don't mind paying for the shipping but I have no idea how long it will be before it arrives at my door. It looks like the second Maddison cable that I came across is the correct one and appears to be in stock. I will know first thing in the morning as it is 20:16 where I am located.

I can't confirm the 4 to 6 pin configuration works. Didn't even know that format existed until tonight.
Thank you for chiming in @cmaffia . I guess we are all about to find out if that configuration is going to work or not. Thursday is the day I take possession of the DM-3200 or not.

If you want me to find out shipping cost, send me details. Or if you want to see your options. It would be shipping from Antioch, TN 37013

fwc.jpg

Last edited:
Hello @Rockum is there a way for me to PM my personal info over to you? Thank you Peter

Click on his avatar and choose "start a conversation".

Reactions: Peter Batah
Thank you @cmaffia I will be going to bed a little smarter this evening. Have a good one. Peter

Happy to report that a 4 to 6 pin FireWire cable communicated perfectly with my HP laptop.

Reactions: Rockum

New threads

Members online

No members online now.