FireWire simultaneously with tdif or adat

rtteter

Gear owned
DM4800
hello! More questions.

Since I'm running 2 cascaded 4800's + 1 FireWire card, I'm interested in using the two adat outs to add 16 more channels into logic.

A - can this be done if I'm already using FW card?

B - do I need a motu 2408? I'm confused with that set up because I feel like it's supposed to be an A/D converter. But I'm already D coming out of the DM, so does it work for the sole purpose of routing adat into my Mac Pro?

Is there an easier way?

A - can this be done if I'm already using FW card?
Yes, on Mac.

B - do I need a motu 2408? I'm confused with that set up because I feel like it's supposed to be an A/D converter. But I'm already D coming out of the DM, so does it work for the sole purpose of routing adat into my Mac Pro?

You need a 2408 and a PCIe-424 card. Without both there is no complete path to plug those digital outs from your Tascam's ADAT outs.

Tascam ADAT -> MOTU 2408 -> PCIe-424 (installed inside the Mac or using thunderbolt to PCIe bridging).

Reactions: Peter Batah
Question 1 - How many total tracks do you need in and out of your computer?

Question 2 - 48k or 96k needed? (The cheaper 2408's MkI and MkII only do 48)

Question 3 - Which MacPro do you have? Does it have PCIe cards, Thunderbolt, neither?

Question 4 - Do you have any installed cards in the DM?

@Rockum, Question 2: If the OP wants to use the 16 available ADAT channels, he is already limited to 48k - if 96k is necessary the track count halves to 8.

PCI E cards. Mac Pro 2012. 48k is fine.

Cards in DM - 1 FireWire mkii, 2 AN/DM 8 ch analog I/O

I want to use the 2 Adats (I have 2 4800's cascaded) because I want to use the 3 Tdif's on each console to connect the console's audio channels 1-24.

So looking to get 16 I/o via adat into my Mac. (I run lots of outboard and I'm tired of shuffing the routing on the FireWire output slot.

To be clear:

Master <> slave: Tdif 1,2,3
Master > logic: adat 1-8
Slave > logic: adat 1-8

It should work with firewire, but make sure it has drivers for your specific OS version including 64 vs 32 bit.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.