First timer routing, help please!

lex deeley

Gear owned
Tascam DM3200
hi guys,

Just joined the forum, bought a dm3200 a few days ago with the firewire card, using it to connect my sound modules and effect unit too, to mix out of the box and as a daw controller, the posts on here have been soo helpful in getting it up and running, big thanks!

just a couple of questions, I use ableton creatively and logic for final processing of the stems from ableton, I've got both up and running with remote control and have routed tracks out to the mixer and routed slot 1 appropriately on the DM so I'm mixing the drums from ableton now, I've got 11 drum parts each routed to a module in mono; channels 3-14 on the FireWire card. (I didn't use channels 1 and 2 as it looks like they're reserved for the stereo out signal and I assumed I'd get a doubling of the signal from the first two channels on the stereo out, is that right or have I got it cockeyed?)

Anyway I've eq'd and compressed the parts on the individual modules, I've got two effects and routed their outputs to buss 1/2 and buss 3/4 and got the returns coming in on modules 45/46 and 47/48 respectively, I've pressed the buttons on my hi hats say to send them to buss 1/2 for some delay, I can control the level of that signal using either the buss 1/2 or the module 45/46 faders and only have signal running through the modules 45/46, which is what I want right? so how do I control the send level from the hi hats into buss 1/2? If I put the encoder mode into buss lvl it just controls the level of the buss n not the send as I'd assumed.

I'm also struggling with working how to get the drum mix back out, as in I want all the drum parts on one stereo channel so that 1. I can compress them together and 2. I can feed them back through the FireWire to my daw as a stereo channel. I thought I'd just send all the parts to to buss 5/6 but how do I route that signal out, I think I'm struggling with the theory of the signal flow a bit, I've got the option to send to aux 1/2 in the routing but will that double up my signal, cos I kind of want to mix the drums, set and maybe automate the levels and then buss them out so the overall level of the drums going into the daw mix is controlled with two faders without doubling the signal, And I'd have the two effects coming into the mix as parallel signal on two other stereo channels, how do I achieve this?

Sorry bit long winded its my first time using a mixer this complex and mixing out the box like this, be grateful to anyone who can explain or point me in the direction of some relevant threads.

Thanks

Lex

Hi there. This is a lot to ask in one shot. I suggest you do a search on routing - there are many posts that deal with this issue, though, yours sound a bit more involved.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi yeah sorry got a bit carried away, I think I've worked most of it out to be honest effects go to aux as each channel has aux send level n return on modules and drums go to buss go to aux and I can feed the drum aux and the rest of instruments back through firewire, will put into practice tomoz n see if I've got it right, thanks

New threads

Members online