Fixing blue lines on dm 3200 screen

darthfader93

Gear owned
dm 3200
Hey friends! I know there may be other threads about this issue already, but I am making a new one just to try and bring more clarity to this repair. I have seen some repair instructions that people have posted but none are clear and detailed enough for me to make the actual repair. If anyone on has successfully repaired this issue, can you please reply? If you are able to provide detailed instructions and add some pictures of the parts that need to be adjusted, that would help greatly appreciated. It would be amazing if someone could do a tutorial video of this. There are so many people looking for this fix that I am sure it would help a ton of people. IF you aren't able t do these things, I could even video call you through facebook or skype and you could walk me through the repair. I don't have the funds to buy a replacement screen or to send it to a professional. Plus, I would rather gain the experience and know how to fix my own gear, My tools are limited. I do have a cheap soldering iron that could get the job done, but if there is a method that doesnt require soldering, I'm open to this lol.

Perhaps getting in touch wit the OP might be a good start. He claims to have performed the repair and even goes on to say:

the procedure is "easy", open the display, disassemble, rebuild the two rubber zebra connections, use a solder with a special tip created to resolder the carbon strip without detach it from the board, melting the glue and rebuild all the pins connection. After this, apply something to make pressure on the strip connected to the board.
That's all, nothing so strange and no myth.

http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm-4800-3200-dont-give-up-with-your-display.4554/

Good luck!

Peter

I've ried contacting him, no luck, I read another repair that speaks of getting the metal plate removed from the lcd, I'm assuming this is the metal frame around it. It seems like this whole plate is glued to the lcd. Is there a way to repair the ribbon connector on the side without removing this?

The fact that he has disappeared and never responded to my follow-up questions only adds credence to my original suspicion about his claim. I believe you're chasing a unicorn with this magical fix that seems to have eluded everyone for the last 10 years. Buy the 2seeme card or spend almost the same amount on another screen that will die in less than 5 years.

From what I read and I have not worked on one of these but there are polymer connectors used on some LCD displays that become non conductive with time. I have had trouble with them with equipment we put on planes for Hughes. The results can sometimes be had by cleaning the polymer (zebra connector) that he is referring to with alcohol but a new parts might be what is needed.
This is one of the bad things about zebra polymer membranes is that they are not a permanent connection. Heating it or melting it sounds very bogus to me. If solder pads existed on both sides which usually do, a real solder ribbon put in would be better but then it is extremely tiny spacing and probably why the polymer was used in the first place. In addition after a polymer conductor is cleaned sometimes additional pressure applied to make it touch better sometimes helps. Sometimes the driver section is to blame not the connector so it is best to seek a time when it restores the display with finger pressure to tell you if the connector is bad or not. If by pressing on the connection it does correct then you are dealing with a connection issue.

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online