Footsteps - Original Song Feedback

Kevin Whitney

Gear owned
Tascam DP24SD
Hey there. I am new to the board. I have a Tascam DP24SD that I have had for a couple years now. I am a legally blind amateur singer/songwriter. I setup CCTV camera type setup over my tascam so I got the screen on a nice screen for me. I tracked this on my tascam and put it in reaper and mixed it on an old Alesis Studio 32 board.

Anyway.. Here is the song. I wrote it about a year ago. I am really trying to get better at putting together good arrangements.

I got a lot to learn in mixing and everything I am open to any feedback on the song and the mixing and everything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ByE2BNdv9C32uK3TJMXWuoWaP5W17dw6/view?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: mixerizer and -mjk-
That was a genuinely good song! Your performance was nice and clean, and it sounded like you didn’t have any compression on the Guitars, one on the left and one on the right, so your playing volume is what determined the mix between the two instruments, but it worked! I did hear some little crackles at the beginning of some of the guitar phrases, and I wonder if those are caused by edits. If so, and you didn’t do anything, you may want to look at putting little fades on the start and end of edited segments if you aren’t doing so already. Note: I don’t use a digital porta studio, so I don’t know if that is available for you. Your vocal is very dynamic, both quiet and thoughtful and plaintive and wailing at times, but you didn’t overload the signal or distort too much, which was also really good. Knowing that you are dealing with a visual impairment in making your music, I appreciate particularly that you seem to allow what you heard to dictate how to mix, and you allowed your performance to shine through. Thank you for posting it! BTW, you may want to look at a different site than Google for sharing your MP3s, as file sharing links can be suspicious.

Reactions: -mjk-
Wow thank you so much for this feedback. I really appreciate it.

You are right about no compression on the guitars. That crackling sound is coming from the squire telecaster I was playing. Frustrating. I used it for both guitar parts just changing the pickup for the arpegiated tracks.

I really want to put an EP together of some of my music.

Thank you again for the feedback and I will figure out an alternative to google drive.

Reactions: mixerizer

New threads

Members online

No members online now.