Future of Tascam DP 24/32 SD

lastmonk

Veteran
Gear owned
DP 24 ,DP-02, Model 12,
Does anybody know if there is anything new cooking for the Portastudio series?

With the introduction of the Tascam Model 24, 16, and now the new Model 12 shown at NAMM 2020, it seems like there might be updates on the horizon for the Portastudio series. Doesn't the new Model 12 add Midi sync? I know the Model 12 is aimed at a different market, but it seems like Tascam might have learned some things that they could use in an upgrade to the DP 24/32 SD.:rolleyes:

Any word on what impact the Model 24,16, and 12 might or might not have on the future Portastudio series?

Your guess is probably better than mine. But the lack of a Portastudio update (or even an announcement) at the NAMM show, and taking into consideration what was released, my guess would be that we own the last standalone recording system that's ever going to be made (X-Live isn't a fully functional system). Going forward, everything will most likely be designed for DAW integration.

I still use the DP-32 for recording. It's incredibly convenient. It's just that the FX are limited and sounding outdated. It's very difficult to beat a DAW with hardware when it comes to updates. But I love the machine and I use it to record clean tracks for mixing with another system. IMO, the name of the new game is "Let me forget I'm using a DAW so I can concentrate on the music." Tascam could do well in that field but their main obstacle is a man named Uli Behringer (I mean the main obstacle outside their own management). I was thinking the other day of what might happen if Behringer were to acquire Tascam. If you haven't noticed, Behringer is big on retro releases.

My next Tascam purchase will probably be a pair of 32 channel Dante interfaces.

What do you think, Monk? Have we seen the last standalone recording workstation?

I think just the opposite. Because of the SoC (system on a chip), technologies, Raspberry Pi's etc. Its just more cost effective manufacture dedicate hardware for everything. If you look at the totality of Tascam's, and Zoom's new multitrack recording offerings, you'll see what I mean. For grins, go to Amazon and do a search on multi-track recorders there isg. a lot more (new stuff) out there than you might think:) Roland has something really interestin

As far as limited effects on the Tascam. That's another very interesting area. Small dedicated hardware effects processors are more plentiful and diverse and affordable than any time in the past.

So with the portastudio you can simply buy the "real hardware effects processors" and just use Send Effects 2 and you can chain as many effects as you want (or can afford). And you won't have to worry about compatibility, or drivers, or licenses, or dongles, or bogging down the cpu, etc,etc. As you know all those VSTs out there are software renditions of real devices. But these days some of the real things are very affordable.

External hardware effects these days can be found in all shapes, sizes and forms. Its actually daunting to see how much is out there. And if we use external effects with the Portastudio we are we no longer have any limitations. I have a bazillion effects on my Yamaha QY100 and I've used them in conjunction with the Portastudio send effect 2 external capability. It works like a charm.

Not only are external hardware effects processors affordable these days, they are also, a lot smaller and more reliable. So they don't take up nearly the space they use to. A lot of the old analog equipment now have digital hardware counterparts that are smaller, more reliable, more capable and dramatically more affordable.

For the same reasons that the Tascam Dp 24/32 portastudios are attractive for recording., the new modern digital external effects are attractive in comparison to their VST versions. There are just so many possibilities these days .

As you know, using the Send Effects 2 on our Tascam we can extend its capabilities in every area, effects, compression, limiting, noise suppression, and it will all take up about the same space that a computer, a 24 inch monitor, a keyboard and mouse would take up.

The old arguments against real recording hardware, effects, etc, are just no longer valid. To the contrary, A hardware rig based around a Portastudio, will likely cost less, take up less room, be more reliable and easier to use than its computer based counter part:LOL:

I think the future is very bright for the dedicated hardware based recording studio environment:geek:.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything specific about the Tascam Portastudio:)

Seems to me that the Tascam Model 16 and 24 do everything the Portastudio's do plus most of the things people are asking for as upgrades, including USB output to a DAW...But I'm new, just my take after reading the site:...https://tascam.com/us/category/Mixers

the Tascam Model 16 and 24 do everything the Portastudio's do
Nope. Not as stand-alone production tools.
Discussed here. ;)

Last edited:
I hear ya.

Sub-mixing? Could help depending....

If they hadn't given up the midi - you could link two together. Even the 20+ year old Roland VS880EX had that capability.

I think that Tascam has done a suicide marketing operation removing midi port from the dp series (and all the possibilities to sync with daw, other machines etc)...then the future of this kind of machine is black.

Reactions: -mjk-
I really like the dp series as a standalone production tool, but I also wish the portastudios could be linked together to have 16 inputs of simultaneous recording. However, the functionality I miss most is probably the ability to optionally record to daw as well as quickly convert the wav master files into mp3. It just makes things much easier for me. If they could ever modify these units and add an audio-interface on top of everything else the machine already posseses, I would be eternally grateful. Tascam, are you ever listening? ;)

Reactions: muttomatic
I think the Model 24/16/12 is the direction they are headed.

Reactions: Paul Jankowski

New threads

Members online