FW-1884 Problem using ASIO and WDM together in Windows 10

EarWax

Gear owned
FW-1884, FE-8, MH-8
It has been a while since I've used my FW-1884 and I'm noticing a problem that I don't think was there previously.

If I have a DAW open and connected to the FW-1884 ASIO driver and Windows audio is playing through FW1884 Analog 1:2 WDM, whenever Windows plays any kind of sound, it is replaced by very loud white noise. If I close the DAW, windows sounds will play normally.

I have tried every setting imaginable in windows, all of the sample rates within Windows Sound Control Panel and the FW-1884 Control Panel.

I'm quite sure this did not happen before. Everything still works OK in Win7.

Other things of note, in Device Manager, under Audio inputs and outputs, each of the 1884 pairs are listed twice, totaling 18 entries.

In the Windows Sound control panel, the only bit depths that will work are 32 bit. Strange. The FW-1884 is 24 bit. If I select any of the 24 bit sample rates, I get digital garbage. When I change the setting in Windows, they are reflected in the FW-1884 control panel.

I have it set so that applications can't take exclusive control of the device.

I have cleanly reinstalled the FW-1884 driver following the the Tascam Clean Uninstall directions.

Can anyone running Windows 10 confirm that their 1884 is not behaving this way? Also can you tell me what you're seeing in Device Manager?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm having exact same problem. Loud white noise while using ASIO

Plus losing Sync 'In Sync' in panel when off randomly

OK, this is probably normal. Thanks for letting me know.

I've gotten the same white noise when trying to, for example, listen to a YouTube video or previewing another MP3 that opens with Windows Media Player even with VLC while simultaneously using the 1884 for mixing in a DAW. So far I don't know why that happens. I wonder if anyone on Earth does, or if they do, are willing to share the knowledge? :rolleyes: It's possibly the ASIO sample rates will default again no matter how you think you've reset them... maybe or not.

It has been a few months since I was working on this issue. If I recall correctly, it has to do with the sample rate in Windows and the FW-1884 control panel. They both have to match and I think they both need to be at 44.1. Anything other than that and I think the problem shows up. But this is just going from memory. I would play around with those settings and see if you can get any improvement. I can test this again but it probably won't be for a few days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought about the same thing, it's the default sample rate issue in the ASIO and WDM. Cheers

I wish I could remember the specifics right now but I do know I got it to the point where I could live with it and I understood what was happening. When I can get back to my setup I'll test it again and let you know what I found.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.