Got a second one .... :)

Axel Wolf

From
Westhofen, Germany
Gear owned
Tascam 2488 , 2 x SX1
... a few weeks ago I was looking for an TASCAM-SX1 as backup-device or or spare-parts for my machine. I had only a little hope for getting any parts or a backup SX. Then I got an offer from someone. He offered a SX-1 to me, good condition, fully functional. But the price was very high for me. 1100 € He wanted. So we didn't get a deal. So what...
1f642.png
:) . That was no problem for me, cause my SX was running well, I only wanted parts for the case of failure.
Two weeks later, I received a mail from the same person. He wrote, that he was testing his SX after some years of storage, and the SX failed to boot sometimes, and the analog inputs are clipping even without any signal applied. he asked me for help. So, I told him, that this could be caused by some reasons. DAC`s DSP's , powersupply or the analog circuity itself. He said, he won't waste any time or money for SX, cause the didn't need it in his studio anymore. He asked me "what price are you ready to pay ???" I answerd without much thought 300€, cause for me that meant so many spare-parts, even though the machine was broken. He agreed, so we met at his studio. When I saw the SX I was happy for myself. The SX1 stood there like new right out of the
box, no dirt, no dust, no scratches anywhre. The SX was booted up, I made a few tests, pc-subsystem. HDR, digital-secton were running well. I paid 300 €, put the SX in the car, and moved it to my place. I decided that this SX will not be taken apart, cause of its newly shape like right out of the box. Installed the SX for further testing, and found some problems:

- had to start the SX 3-4 times, before the boot was completed
- like the preowner said , all analog inputs were clipping, without any signal
- the internal sample-rate was skewing, eg. when set to 44,1kHz it skewed from 42 to 46 kHz.. ( shit, that could be a serius problem )

Next, I connected my headphone to the SX and..... BINGO !!! there was the typical 50/100Hz humming, when there is a problem with the power-supply.
I thought, this wil be easy. Have all the doc's for the SX, service-manual, partslist, techtips etc etc. and I'm an electronics professional.
Opened the SX and assumed a defective cap in the ps for the analog circuits. and so it was. I found one crappy capacitor and replaced it.

- no boot problems
- no humming at the analog inputs
- no skewing of the sample rate.

JACKPOT !!!! . The SX was running again without any problems
1f642.png
:)) . Cost of parts 90 cent time to fix 1 hour
1f642.png
:).
Now I have two of these little monsters.....

Reactions: Mark9
Axel,

Glad to hear you got your second machine up and running. I have two SX-1 LE Plus machines that are still in working order and a spare motherboard and a few other spare parts but as great as these machines are they are getting old and need care to keep them running. Like you, I have an electronics background (retired electronics engineer with a good bit of technician experience too). These days when anyone asks me if they should invest in an SX-1 series machine, I advise them against it unless they have a skill set to troubleshoot electronics and have some computer/software skills as well.

I am in the process of migrating my studio over to one centered around PreSonus StudioOne 4.6 DAW running on a Mac mini and connected to a PreSonus StudioLive 32. When I run the StudioLive 32 in DAW mode, the mixer-DAW software combination is quite well integrated. Still not quite as good as the integration found in the SX-1 machines but getting closer all the time. It also affords me access to many plugins and sophisticated monitoring for performers in my live room, etc.

However, until I get VERY comfortable with this new setup and am able to rapidly do punch-ins/outs and all the other stuff you encounter while tracking, I still have an SX-1 LE Plus connected up so that I can also use it for tracking sessions. I also note that the microphone preamps in the Tascam machines are still sound very good and stack up well against newer DAW/Hardware combinations.

Another problem with have current software/hardware that is still supported - you are constantly having to do updates of everything. In that regard the Tascams are completely stable with no updates to worry about but that's both a blessing and a curse. I just wish someone would offer a new recording solution that is as well thought out and designed as what Tascam did on the SX-1 series.

I’m looking for a motherboard for Tascam SX-1. The technician at the repair shop called me this afternoon and told me the motherboard for my SX-1LE is irreparable. I have been looking for a SX-1LE motherboard to no avail.
Will you please sell a motherboard for SX-1LE?
Please?
My email is huberttemba23@gmail.com.
I pray that you help me. Thank you in advance.
I need your mercy. Please sell me a motherboard.
Hubert

New threads

Members online

No members online now.