Great guitar sound using onboard dp24 effects

Dunny

Gear owned
tascam dp24 sd
Please forgive me if this has been discussed before on the forum , i am looking to record a Gibson 335 lead sound onto a recording i am working on , using only the onboard effects on the 24 sd , i dont really want a profile that takes the guitar natural sounds away , have any of you lads got some advice you can chuck my way ?

Cheers

Paul

Reactions: -mjk-
Paul, I would DI dry using Input H with the switch set to "guitar", then just play around with the various on-board effects until you find something you like. I don't use the Effects/Guitar options because I have a Digitech RP360, so can't offer any further suggestions.

You might find some useful ideas in the new Production Tips sticky.

Reactions: Dunny and -mjk-
Thank you guys , i will continue my quest for the perfect guitar sound

Reactions: Mark Richards
I hate to say it but, don’t waste your time. You will end up going for an external effects module. The DP24’s build in guitar effects are very poor at best. I gave up on trying to get a decent sound out of them. So now I use a Zoom G1Xon and focus on recording instead of getting the sound right.

I've used the internal guitar amplifier simulator for a few things. If you want a searing solo sound, forget it. But if you want kind of a semi dirty rhythm guitar track, and you know what you're doing, you can achieve that with the internal FX. I used a guitar amp simulator to add some dirt to a B3 organ patch, and it worked very well.

I have used the internal guitar effect maybe twice. I prefer a small amplifier and some moving air - I really love my Vox VT-40x, and can quickly find the sound I want.

The internal guitar effects always sound to sterile and canned to me, though this might be a tyro issue. They seem to sound much better to me when they are in the context of a song. I think I am unaccustomed to the heavy compression and etc. on a solo guitar track.

I have VOX amps too, and they record very well. I have a Brian May VBM1 amp and a BM guitar. The amp direct out sounds great straight into the DP-32. The AD-30VTXL records very well on mic. But, believe it or not, some of the best guitar sounds I get are the amp simulations on the DR-880 drum machine.

Reactions: Mark Richards

Members online