Guitar/ Effects Pedal Rack/DP-32sd

Doodle46

Veteran
Gear owned
Recorder, Guitars, Keys
I want to record my guitar amp, and below is my equipment set-up:
1. Ran guitar cable from Amp’s Line-Out to Tascam DP-32sd Input H.
2. Ran guitar cable from Effects Rack Output to Amp’s Input.
3. Ran guitar cable from Guitar to Effects Rack Input.

There were problems:
With the amp volume turned-up more than it should be, I had a strong signal on the Tascam Screen, but low volume in my headphones. I also had to cut the Trim Knob almost off to stop it from over-loading. Still, I was occasionally getting over-load distortion in my headphones. Needless to say, I need some advice. If anybody on the forum has any suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.

MY GEAR:
1. Fender Telecaster Guitar
2. Peavey LA 400 Amp
3. Boss Effects Stomp-Pedals (L to R):
* Pwr Supply/Tuner Pedal
* Distortion Pedal
* Phaser Pedal
* Delay Pedal
* Reverb Pedal
4. Tascam DP-32sd

NOTE: The Peavey LA 400 is a great amp with power to spare. However, prior to using the LA 400, I tried this same set-up with a much smaller amp. I had the same problem with both amps.

Do you have the input h guitar/line switch on the back of the Tascam set to line or set to guitar? If you are sending your signal from the line out on your amp that switch needs to be set to line on the back of the Tascam

And for troubleshooting purposes remove your effects units completely and just plug the guitar directly into the Peavey

And it's a little confusing when you say you have an effects rack unit and then you list out that you have Boss guitar pedals.

Sorry about the confusion, David. I didn’t like using the word “rack,” but I couldn’t think of what else to call it. All of the pedals are linked together in a box type thing that Boss makes for them. It’s made out of hard plastic, and has a lid. Sometimes I forget the exact terminology for things like that. If you know, please refresh my memory.
Thanks for the input. In answer to your questions, I did turn that switch “on,” but it made no difference either way. I also by-passed the pedals completely and used the the amp. It got a little better, but the basic problem was still there. I was able to use Internal Effects, but just squeaked out enough volume to finish a project. It was tough going!

"Sometimes I forget the exact terminology for things like that. If you know, please refresh my memory."

I think the term you want is "pedal board".

In answer to your questions, I did turn that switch “on,” but it made no difference either way.

Sorry to be stickler on terminology - and I want to help you solve a problem - but I'm still confused on how you have that Input H switch set. It is not really "on" or "off". It is either set to "line" or "guitar". I'm pretty sure you should have it set to "line" - by what you have said.

And, again, for troubleshooting purposes - you might want to try skipping all of the effects and just plug the guitar straight into the amp. Then you should be able to set your Input H trim level just to check to see if your levels are correct. Forgive me if I have misunderstood.:)

Ah!!! Pedal board! I knew it was something like that. It’s difficult for me to see it as a board, but that’s a lot better than “Rack.”
You’re right, David. The switch is set for “Line” or “Guitar.” My brain deducted that “Line” was on, when actually, the switch was set for “Line.” I can see how that was confusing. Believe it or not, I’m also a stickler for correct terminology, so I never mind being reminded, or corrected. No problemo!
I did the troubleshooting, and by-passed the effect pedals, but still had the same problem. Amp into Input H & guitar straight into amp.
One thing that could be wrong, I think my SD Card might be corrupt. That’s surprising, because it’s a new Class 10/16GB Card, and I ran a Full Format on it. Also... I worked on a recording project today, and I’m getting distortion from some of the tracks. Then, when I tried to turn off my machine off just now, it froze-up and would not turn off. I had to pull the power cord out and plug it back in. It didn’t appear to have harmed my project, but I’m very leary of it now.

Last edited:
"...Amp into Input H & guitar straight into amp..."
Just to be clear: Input H should be set to "Line" when you take the signal from the line-out on the back of the amp, and the trim pot should be full left. Input H should be set to "Guitar" and the trim pot midway to full right when you plug the guitar in directly to the DP-32.

"...amp volume turned-up more than it should be..."

What does your amp's user manual say about gain staging when using outboard effects? Most effects pedals have volume controls. The sequence of the pedals, and the output volume level of each pedal in the chain, needs to be coordinated so that (a) preceding pedals won't overload the input of subsequent pedals; and (b) the aggregate signal level arriving at the amp is what the amp expects to see from a guitar plugged in directly. Are you using the high gain input jack on the front of the amp or the low gain input jack? Check your owner manual for the correct amp input jack to use. Ditto for using the "Lead" and "Normal" gain controls on the amp's front panel.

"...I tried this same set-up with a much smaller amp. I had the same problem..."
That says to me the issue is with the gain staging of the effects pedals.

Follow David's trouble shooting suggestion. First get the guitar/DP-32SD set up working directly; then the guitar/amp/DP-32. Then add the effects pedals. Turn on one effect at time to see what the impact is.

"... low volume in my headphones..."
Where are your track faders set and where is the master stereo fader set? What position is your monitor level set at? (10-12 0'clock is typical when using headphones...lower if headphones are very efficient; higher if headphones are less efficient).

"... I had to pull the power cord out and plug it back in..."
That can happen when the DP-32 CPU gets overloaded with too many tasks to handle at once. It has a brain freeze.

Last edited:
Thank you, Mark. That’s a lot to consider, but it all makes sense. I bought two of these LA 400 amps from another guitar picker a few years ago, and there was no owner manual for either amp.
On most amps I’ve used, there were (2ea) inputs on the front far-left. The Left-Input produces the most power, so I’ve always plugged into that one. I’m primarily a country guitar player, so I’m used to playing mostly clean guitar. I set my amps accordingly.
In this situation, I set my effects pedals every way I could think of, while taking the volume knobs undee consideration.
Faders: I don’t know the rule, but I always set my trim knobs as high as they will go before the overload light comes on. When it comes to the Stereo Fader, I like to set it so that I can raise it’s volume a little, if needed. I don’t know the rule for it, so I just use my best judgement.
• The “Line” & “Guitar” (Input H) settings info is also welcome information.
DP-32sd Froze-Up:
After you mentioned “over-loading it,” I thought about everything I put it through today. Thanks you for bringing that to my attention, and thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Have you tried the peavey support web site to see if they have the la400 manual available on line? If you want to bring the amp signal into the DP32 you really need to have a better understanding of how the pre-amp section, the "Lead" and "Normal" volume controls, the EQ controls, and the reverb control all interact.

The DP32 trim knobs are not volume controls. They are variable pads designed to reduce the sensitivity of the DP32 input jack.. You don't set them as high as you can just below clipping for line level use. When you do that you reduce/eliminate headroom...not good. When bringing a line level signal in, set the pad full left and use the volume control on your source to bring your input signal up to acceptable record levels. If your source's volume control alone can't bring the signal up to an acceptable record level, then and only then, should you gradually increase the DP32's input sensitivity using the trim pot. Once the trim pot is set...leave it alone.

If you recall the block diagram and Phil's videos, the track faders and the Master Stereo fader control the signal level going to the Stereo bus. The Master Stereo fader should be at unity gain/0dB ... That's all the way up. Individual track faders 1~32 are variable depending on the relative levels you want for your instruments and vocals in the mix, and typically none should be raised above unity gain/0dB on any given track. The overall mix level on the stereo meters should peak just barely in the green with no red flashes (clipping). If you get clipping on the stereo meters, re-balance the individual track faders.

The same principle applies to the individual tracks. The signal being recorded should peak just barely in the green with no clipping. This assures you will have plenty of signal available when it comes time to mix down to stereo (or mono).

Last edited:
Wow, that’s some great info! No wonder I’m having so much difficulty. I haven’t looked for the LA400 manual online, but that was my plan.

New threads

Members online