Happy Board O' Mine

jamsire

Soundaholic
Gear owned
DM4800 388-8 22-2
Not looking for a debate or a contest of what's better or preferred, just a fun observation.

I ran a session at a studio in NYC last Sunday as an engineer on an ever sexy Neve console - can't remember the model, all I know is that I loved it. Session was for a for student's band. After the session was over (3 songs), I asked who was going to mix it? The guitarist immediately spoke up and said he was. I asked him if he had PT HD and he replied "Yes, I have PTHD Native and Waves plugins." I immediately said "Ok" and left it alone. Then the band leader asked if I could do it - and I said yes for the usual fee - pizza and unsweetened iced tea from Dunkin Donuts.

Today, I mixed the three songs on my DM4800 and the band was shocked by the awesome sound and the fact that I didn't use a single dynamics, EQ, or time-based plugin. Just what's built into the board. Good ol' days.

May not be for everyone - but it works for me!

Awesome example of how great sound is more of a thing of artistry and not hardware. You are only as good as your ability to fully utilize your wares, no matter their cost. I'd buy you an entire pizzeria and a Dunkin Donuts franchise if you could mix for me. Actually, that might be stretching it a bit. But I would if I could!

I remember the good ole days recording and mixing on a Neve and 2 inch. I would use as much of the boards eq's for tracking, before running the tape and mixing almost flat. The only outboard was verb and comp, results? Real downhome R&R! LOL

Not looking for a debate or a contest of what's better or preferred, just a fun observation.

I ran a session at a studio in NYC last Sunday as an engineer on an ever sexy Neve console - can't remember the model, all I know is that I loved it. Session was for a for student's band. After the session was over (3 songs), I asked who was going to mix it? The guitarist immediately spoke up and said he was. I asked him if he had PT HD and he replied "Yes, I have PTHD Native and Waves plugins." I immediately said "Ok" and left it alone. Then the band leader asked if I could do it - and I said yes for the usual fee - pizza and unsweetened iced tea from Dunkin Donuts.

Today, I mixed the three songs on my DM4800 and the band was shocked by the awesome sound and the fact that I didn't use a single dynamics, EQ, or time-based plugin. Just what's built into the board. Good ol' days.

May not be for everyone - but it works for me!
Can we preview it? I'd love to hear it!

Not for me to preview. Belongs to the band. I don't keep copies of other people's files.

I had a similar experience with a recent project.
Guy came in with raw stems.
We added backup vocals.
The client, from out of town, wanted a quick mix, using just the board.
Pretty easy to do with the DM.
He took all of the new files home to remix in PT, but ended up using the DM plug-free mix.
Thumbs up for the DM again!

Still wish more shared their personal projects (whenever possible) in the songwriters section. I am always curious to hear other people's work using the same equipment I am.

RE: posting tunes:

My genre is not in the Top 5 Favorites; instrumental tracks - particularly in the 'Contempo/Jazz' category - don't curry the raves vocal songs generally do. So unless I'm unusually excited about a particular piece, it won't be mentioned here.

But I ain't complaining; I just got another distribution check today, so somebody's listening out there. :)

CaptDan

I'm not so much interested in the actual songs but the productions themselves

New threads

Members online