Help! i Can't playback recordings

jon jon

Man why does this thing have to be so complicated.
I can arm the tracks to record and i see the red light blinking at the bottom of the led.
I hit record and play buttons and the record light is solid red.
I can hear it writing to the drive.
I hit locate to go back to zero and i don't see and meters running.
if i press the auto input button i can't get it to go into record mode red on the led's.
Somebody please tell me what the heck is going on!!
Thank you LOL!!

Is it possible your tracks start at 1hour & you are replaying from zero hours ? When you start a new track it doesn't start at zero, it starts at 1 hour as a default. This is because some units you might sync the MX to don't like rolling through zero.

hey thank you for replying.
I did what the manual said. I created a new project and set the time to 01.00.00.00
even so i still don't understand why this has to be so difficult
my fostex and alesis recorders were working and recording in 5 mins
is there something im doing wrong with the locate button or input selectors.
IS THERE AN ONLINE VIDEO OF HOW TO RECORD?
THANKS

To be honest with you I've never had a problem with this it's always been rock solid. I was up and running in 5 mins when I got my first MX. I know of people who say the tracks they recorded just disappeared, but I always suspected they were rewinding to zero. Perhaps if you can use MX view to view the tracks you can zoom out and see where they are.

unfortunately no mxview on mac.
If you or any knows of any video on how to do this please let me know.
Thanks again for responding

If you can't find the start of a project, hit the rewind button twice quickly and the mx returns to the start of the recording. If you try to rewind a new project too soon after hitting stop, it will go to 00.00.00, as it's not yet written the start, all new projects start at 1 hour not 0 time.

Buy a $50 windows 98, or Xp computer an install mx view, makes using the mx much eisier.

Alan

auto input alsafe not lit
rec sel all lit
all input not lit
recording starts at 01 00 00 00
hit rew twice as u said
no playback led activity
a whole day wasted on this thing
just dont get it!

Here you go, a video I've just recorded (sorry for the quality).

Once the machine has completed the startup, select the tracks to record (track 22 in the video). You can adjust the input levels. To start recording, press rec + play. Make sure the red led lights up. To stop recording you can press either play or stop. To return to the head point (1:00:00:00) press twice rew (to the tail press twice ffwd. In the Fostex D series you'd press stop + rew / or stop + ffwd). Hope this helps.

Edit: Check in the project list if you can find there your recording. In Fostex after the startup the program it was used in the last session is automatically loaded. In the MX-2424 you must load the project.

Last edited:
thank you very much for posting this video.
i did everything you did but when i press rew twice it does not play back.
I have green leds at the top of my meters and red at the bottom.
I think there is just something simple that i am missing.
I'll try to make a vid and post for you guys to see.
it works fine as a converter but i need to be able to record to it as well. if i can't get it working by the weekend you will see it on ebay and reverb.
Thanks

Jon, do you have a copy of the tutorial? I can no longer find it on the Tascam downloads unless they changed the name? It is way better than the manual, if anyone wants a copy let me know but it's 2.3MB, if you want it send me a PM.

Cheers
Alan.

Hi all im going to make a vid today showing what the heck is going on.
Yes i have the tutorial.
I know it may be just something simple
I will try the factory reset.
At least it makes a great converter.
Thanks all!!!

hey guys i want to thank all of you for your very pro and courteous help and suggestions.
Here is the video i made outlining my problems with the mx2424.
Please forgive my frustrated tone.
thanks

It's normal that some of the meters light up for a second or two just when the MX-2424 is turned on.

I've had some freezes during the startup -see video below-, remaining lit some of the signal meters (usually tracks 1-4 & 17-20) but nothing on the LCD screen, neither loading OS or mounting HD, which can be tracked down to the subpar molex connectors from the PSU to the motherboard.

Some users with a similar issue solved this by changing the molex connector, even soldering the wires to the terminal in the motheboard to ensure connectivity. In your case is not at the startup. Weird. Try to open the lid and reconnect the molex to see if the problem goes away...

Cheers

Last edited:
Yes, something screwy is going on. Reset the power connections as Kzhus suggested, some people with the earlier connectors soldered the cables direct as the early connectors gave trouble. 90% of problems with MX's relate to the power supply or the connectors. Also reset the memory stick, but usually memory stick problems usually come up with a warning however there could be a slightly resistive connection.

Can you set the MX to record in 48 or 44.1 and to have all inputs and outs set to the analog card and go to the user settings and make sure that there is nothing ward setup.do a restart. Does it behave in the same way?

Do you have the memory card with the operating system on it? I was going to suggest that you reboot the operating system and make sure that you have the latest.

We will get this sucker to work Jon.

Alan.

hey everyone thanks for responding.
I don't know what a molex is. LOL!!
yes it does the same thing in 48khz mode.
I'll try to do a system reset if i can find the instructions.
I don't know how to mess around with power connections.
I did spray some deoxit in there when i first noticed these issues.
It's a great converter the sound of it is very analog but it's too big to keep around just for that.
Thanks again.

The Molex connectors are the plastic strips with wires coming out, I would disconnect all of them in the MX and reconnect them, a little corrosion on these connectors can cause problem.

Alan.

New threads

Members online