Hooking up M308 to 238 Syncaset

Discussion in 'TASCAM Analog Forum' started by Wattagestudio, May 1, 2019.

1. Wattagestudio

Wattagestudio New Member

Gear:
    M308 238
    Hi friends. Loved my 424 mkiii for 20 years now and finally moved on to the 238. I have a question regarding connecting the m308 to it. The logical way to me was to use 8 rca outs of the Program outs, labeled such and located on the four buss channels and into the 238. Out the 238 and back in corresponding 8 program In/tape returns below them.
    What’s happening is when i use all 8 channel strips to record a band I have to assign a channel to a buss to get signal to show up on the 238. If no channel assign(1-4.LR), then no signal goes out program out rca. Assign it to Buss 1 and it shows up on 238, but since it’s four buss mixer I can’t record 8 tracks at once on 8 seperate tape tracks.
    The only work around i have found is using the channel direct outs straight to 238 rca ins, and return through the normal tape in/program returns.
    Sorry if this is terribly explained. Is this the best and only way to track 8 channels out at once on my m308? I would ideally like to keep the direct outs available to record a digital backup at the same time as tracking on 238.
  2. wkrbee

wkrbee Active Member

Hook it all up to a normaled patchbay.
  3. Wattagestudio

Wattagestudio New Member

Gear:
    M308 238
    Sure, but why is that necessary? The problem is that there are 8 program outs, but the only way I can get them to send is from the four busses. This combines mic input channels 1 and 5 post buss fader and records them together onto 238 track 1 and also combined again on 238 track 5. Surely tascam intended the 8 program rca I/O to be used in conjunction with their 8 track recorder without needing to convert from 1/4” channel direct outs?
  4. Wattagestudio

Wattagestudio New Member

Gear:
    M308 238
  5. wkrbee

wkrbee Active Member

I had the exact setup. Direct outputs of the M308 connected to the back of the top row of the patchbay. Inputs to the 238 connected to the bottom row on the back of the patchbay. When I wanted to bypass the mixer I used to bottom row-front. Line ins on the mixer-bottom row of the PB- were also normalled to the tape outputs on the 238-top row of the PB- so I could mix down through the channels. Instrument outputs were plugged into the patchbay Line ins. The tape returns on the mixer were used for virtual tracks during mixdown. That's how I did it.YMMV
    Caveman likes this.
  6. Wattagestudio

Wattagestudio New Member

Gear:
    M308 238
    Thank you much for your reply. Ive always had trouble wrapping my head around incorporating a patchbay, but i see a good deal on a tascam pb-32h
    Would this be the ticket to fully incorporate the tracking then switch via Line channel button to mixing with no unplugging?
  7. SkywaveTDR

SkywaveTDR Active Member

Chicago area
    Gear:
    Teac, Tascam, Sony
    As far as I know the use of 8 channels at once from a 4 buss mixer is only possible like you have used it. If recording up to 4 channels at a time you can double up on the output like you were doing but when you go over the 4 busses then the direct outs would be the way I would do it or get a M520.
    I don't see how a Patch bay will do anything about getting you 8 discrete channels from a 4 buss mixer