How are you guys interfacing the your DAW?

Jacko

Gear owned
DM4800
Since Firewire is pretty much dead I need to find some way to interface with the PC. The DM4800 has 8 analogue outputs via the assigns, plus the 2 stereo mains, and the ADAT and 2 digital ports - quite a good selection and probably enough for my purposes. I love the idea of using the TDIF, but those PC interfaces are harder to find than working Firewire, so no go really.
Whats interface units or cards are you guys using that have SPDIF, ADAT and 8-16 analog i/o?

Even though FireWire is being supplanted by faster protocols, PCIe slots are still readily available, so interfacing these consoles on newer machines with FW cards shouldn't be an issue. That being said, accessing a new or used Tascam FW interface for the console itself may be a problem, so I understand your desire to explore other avenues.
To that end, I'm using an old and reliable workhorse: an RME HDSP 9652 on my secondary System Linked machine to feed the onboard ADAT, as well as two ADAT add on cards. Works like a champ. I still use FW on my main system, however, as it is hard to beat the 32 I/O up to 96kHz it brings to the table. Only the onboard ADAT can handle the higher rates, whereas the ADAT add-ons can only hit 48kHz. Not a huge issue for me, but it may be a consideration for others. Anyway, my half a cent.

Firewire alive and kicking here, no reason to look for alternatives.

Reactions: cmaffia
Go and update your motherboard to something new and let me know how you get on.

Despite changing a motherboard, which maybe (newer or current) an old PCI Firewire card is still going to work, long as you update firmware for your motherboard, and then use the TASCAM FW card ??????

I'm on a MAC anyway, so sorry for your PC issues.

As well if you need an interface for using TDIF, the best I know for the price is MOTU 2408 MKIII, which will use a PCI slot. Either go TDIF (24 channels) ADAT (24 channels) ANALOG (8 inputs) (so there is your 8-16) just use 16 channels of the TDIF or ADAT, and then use the 1-8 of the MOTU, and there you are 24 channels, SPDIF is only stereo so..... yeah

Last edited:
The DM4800 FW interface is extremely picky about the chipset on Firewire PCI cards. Even back in the day when it was supported by Windows I remember going through a few to get the right one to work. Besides, good luck trying to find a Firewire PCI card these days too.

Now that no motherboard developers I know of officially support it either, its down to checking with people here to see what configurations still works. In a couple of years from now, I'm sorry to say, Firewire will simply not work anywhere - even on your Mac.

So the choices are find a suitable alternative now, hence the question, or just hold your breath and keep your old PC/Mac in running condition forever.

Unfortunately, MOTU no longer make those 2408's, nor anything I can find with TDIF support. Its a shame, that would be perfect.

I guess the safe route would be to scoop up four analog expansion cards then find some 32-channel audio interface....but then why not just buy a 32 channel analog mixing desk....meh.

I see my setup as a whole and any hardware can break down. Be it the DM or the PC it is connected to. If one of the two becomes irrepairable, I'll see what the options are then. As it stands now, there's no reason to change either of the two main parts and I'll certainly won't be looking to buy a new PC and then try to hold on to the DM without FireWire.

You do know this question is not about you, right?

You do know this question is not about you, right?
Well, I wasn't aware of that, I'm just sharing my opinion and experiences like everyone else. But I said what I had to say @overandout

New threads

Members online

No members online now.