How are you guys interfacing the your DAW?

Discussion in 'TASCAM DM-3200 & DM-4800' started by Jacko, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:25 AM.

1. Jacko

Jacko New Member

Gear:
    DM4800
    Since Firewire is pretty much dead I need to find some way to interface with the PC. The DM4800 has 8 analogue outputs via the assigns, plus the 2 stereo mains, and the ADAT and 2 digital ports - quite a good selection and probably enough for my purposes. I love the idea of using the TDIF, but those PC interfaces are harder to find than working Firewire, so no go really.
    Whats interface units or cards are you guys using that have SPDIF, ADAT and 8-16 analog i/o?
  2. J L Bowie

J L Bowie New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Gear:
    DM4800
    Even though FireWire is being supplanted by faster protocols, PCIe slots are still readily available, so interfacing these consoles on newer machines with FW cards shouldn't be an issue. That being said, accessing a new or used Tascam FW interface for the console itself may be a problem, so I understand your desire to explore other avenues.
    To that end, I'm using an old and reliable workhorse: an RME HDSP 9652 on my secondary System Linked machine to feed the onboard ADAT, as well as two ADAT add on cards. Works like a champ. I still use FW on my main system, however, as it is hard to beat the 32 I/O up to 96kHz it brings to the table. Only the onboard ADAT can handle the higher rates, whereas the ADAT add-ons can only hit 48kHz. Not a huge issue for me, but it may be a consideration for others. Anyway, my half a cent.
    Jacko and Peter Batah like this.
  3. Arjan P

Arjan P Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    Firewire alive and kicking here, no reason to look for alternatives.
    cmaffia likes this.