How do I reduce Latency Tascam DM4800+Cubase 7

WillM

Gear owned
DM4800
I have been using the DM4800 with Alesis HD24 for the past few years now. Recording in the HD24 then transferring to Cubase for mixing. I now am trying to record directly from the DM 4800 to Cubase 7, everything is fine except for the latency. Just wondering if anyone can give me information or a setting for the desk that will allow me to have no latency. I am using the DM4800, 2 x MOTU 2408 and Cubase 7,

I don't have any noticable latency in Cubase, the only thing is you don't want to use real time processing in the software for your recording chain. Meaning that you should be monitoring directly from the DM, while the recorded channels go straight to the software. When overdubbing, you still have no latency since you play along with the recorded tracks and Cubase takes care of aligning all.

One thing that could pose a problem is the use of VST instruments, since you play those from the software. Considering you're coming from a dedicated recorder, I'm assuming you don't use them. BTW, I also assume you use an IFFW interface card.

I think it might have to do with the way I'm monitoring. An example of what I'm doing is -
recording a guitar into channel 1, layer 1on the DM, through a MOTU 2408 into Cubase.
It is then coming back from Cubase into channel 25 layer 2.

WillM said:
I think it might have to do with the way I'm monitoring. An example of what I'm doing is -
recording a guitar into channel 1, layer 1on the DM, through a MOTU 2408 into Cubase.
It is then coming back from Cubase into channel 25 layer 2.
Indeed it is. You are monitoring through Cubase, which isn't optimal.

You should do like this (route your M/L input to 2 channels):
Guitar -> M/L INPUT X -> CH1 -> MOTU -> Cubase
Guitar -> M/L INPUT X -> CH25 -> STEREO
See: your INPUT X (you didn't specify what number is your X ... but probably it's 1) is routed into 2 channels, one for recording, one for monitoring.

Another option (which I use) is to record "dry" input:
Guitar -> M/L INPUT X -> INPUT BYPASS ROUTING -> MOTU -> Cubase
Guitar -> M/L INPUT X -> CH1 -> STEREO
Again, routing your input to 2 different places, but this time to 1 channel and one (bypassing mixer) to output to your MOTU.

Exactly the same here:

Instrument/Voice -> M/L INPUT X -> INPUT BYPASS ROUTING ->FireWire-> Reaper Channel input.
Same Instrument/Voice -> M/L INPUT X -> CH1 -> STEREO Buss to CR out to monitors.

Reaper's stereo buss return to FW to DM channels 33/34 to DM Stereo Buss

I am NOT monitoring the signal input through reaper. I monitor through the DM, as explained by Jarno.

Great job, I've tried what you suggested and it's working perfect for me now.
Thank you all for your help.

You guys and your "split consoles." If you don't want to print channel effects, you can just assign micpres directly to the TDIF > MOTU using "input bypass." That way with a couple outboard preamps you can track more than 24 channels at a time on one DM4800.

Will Miho said:
If you don't want to print channel effects, you can just assign micpres directly to the TDIF > MOTU using "input bypass."
Isn't that exactly what I recommended?
Jarno said:
Guitar -> M/L INPUT X -> INPUT BYPASS ROUTING -> MOTU -> Cubase
Guitar -> M/L INPUT X -> CH1 -> STEREO

But Jarmo, you also said

"You should do like this (route your M/L input to 2 channels):
Guitar -> M/L INPUT X -> CH1 -> MOTU -> Cubase
Guitar -> M/L INPUT X -> CH25 -> STEREO"

That's a "Split Console," no? Channel one for tracking, channel 25 for mixing? With input bypass, when you go micpre to DAW and Ch1, you can just flip to return from DAW on the same channel for playback.

BTW, I do also often record a mix track from my stereo buss via input bypass to firewire, but I bring the return back into an external listen button. Saves fader channels and less chance to do something stupid on my part!

New threads

Members online