How to disassemble 488? HELP!

guittargasm

Gear owned
Tascam 488 mkII
Hi all, I'm new here. I have problems with my 488 MKII and I've taken out every screw I can find, and it will not come apart. I even cut a hole out of the housing on the side where the cassette deck is so I could see inside---a hole the size of a cigarette pack---and I still can't see what's holding the thing together! It seems to be something in the top center of the board, as I can separate the top and bottom parts going all the way around the perimeter. Can someone help me get this thing apart before I smash it out of frustration? Thanks!

Hi; after calling a guy who works on these I discovered my problem was the two small screws in the cassette compartment. After that it came apart so easily ; BUT---there are a lot of screws on the bottom and sides to remove first; you need a flashlight to look in all those little holes on the back to see which ones have screws. And don't forget the four tiny ones underneath the rear of the top section (on the back, at the very top).

Reactions: DeeJay Al
No need to cut hole just take the two screws out the cassette compartment. I took this unit apart and repaired it. There can't be two units with holes cut into them.

Yes, it was sent to me and the unit did work well after I repaired it. It was another sticky broken gear C due to waiting too long to have it looked at. People when they wait they just increase the cost as the gear sometimes can be carefully removed and then cleaned and used again with a $30 savings. There are some gears I have to admit hat are so brittle that you can not get them off the rod as they will break no matter what you do. But you can always try to reuse them.
I and some guy on E bay are the only ones making these and he used to sell them for $80 but now is down o $30 so I wonder why.

My 688 was the same. These two little screws in the deck, and the pitch control knob were the only obstacles to remove. Once inside, to replace the capstan belt, the next bit was a bit trickier. I recommend anyone doing this to place a bit of cloth or kitchen roll under the area you are working to catch any screws you might drop. Use a magnetised screwdriver to lift screws out from hard to reach places. Don't get the magnetic bits near the heads !!

I use magnetized Xcelites all the time and have never had a problem. You want trouble with screws? Try working on a Sony WM-D6C and finding new screw for that thing. I need some now.
The only problem with 488 is that you could use some extension cables to be able to work on it with the cover full open. They are not the easiest things to repair. You must use Chrome tape and that 799 garbage will never make it- -4 dB down last I checked. The NAC 771 is the closest to the XL II that was used for calibration.

New threads

Members online