-mjk-

Staff member
From
Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Website
phoenixmediaforge.com
Gear owned
DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
Many of the questions that are being posted on this forum have more to do with the science of recording engineering rather than operation of the DP machines. While this forum isn't specially focused on teaching users how to become a competent recording engineer, I feel that a single thread that deals with recording engineering questions would well serve the community, as well as keeping the individual postings of questions as new threads to a minimum. The DP machines have their own idiosyncrasies and limitations and do often require creative techniques to accomplish what might otherwise be easier/faster on say, a 24 track analog tape machine with a console. But, the results one can achieve on a DP machine can rival, and yes, even surpass the results from using an analog tape machine. One just has to use a different approach, one specific to the DP architecture.

If this idea is well received, then perhaps a sticky post would be in order.

It should be understood that questions posted here would not receive an immediate answer. Furthermore, this forum cannot be considered as technical support channel with instant emergency responses to issues that users are experiencing with their machines during recording sessions. But there is a plethora of experience in this forum and over time, a very useful resource would emerge that would be easy to search.

Comments please?

Reactions: DJ X
mj, a noble idea but I suggest contacting the site moderator/administrator to discuss the desirability.

(1) I'm not sure about going this route specifically on the "2488 and DP-24/32 Digital Portastudios" forum, as the entire site is dedicated to all the various TASCAM recording platforms. The site already has a "Recording 101" forum under the "Rock n Roll" segment: http://www.tascamforums.com/forums/recording-101.40/

(2) Also, there are numerous free resources and free e-books on the 'Net about audio engineering for anyone ambitious enough/passionate enough to make the effort to seek them out. This could become a very deep rabbit hole.

I'm all for helping out a DP user who has first made a reasonable effort to learn how to use the DP, gets stuck on a DP specific issue, has made an effort to figure out how to resolve the problem, and is still stuck.

My 2CW.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ X
Mark, as usual, we agree completely. I'd like to expand a bit, if I may:

I would expects users of the other forums to take on the responsibility (as needed) of a similar thread in those forums, as techniques are rather dependant on the gear being used. I may have not been clear on my suggestion that this would be a thread only, within this forum, and perhaps others. I don't know if the other forums are getting as many engineering questions as we are here.

Yes, it's a deep rabbit hole, but, the questions are already being posted regardless of your excellent points. I was suggesting to organize them into a single knowledge base, sort of. If it proved useful, the mods could sticky it at their discretion. I just don't think that every single question about a simple problem should have it's own thread. Lots of them have only 2 or 3 posts. The effects summary and video sticky threads are good examples of tying it all together.

For me personally, at the outset I would specifically state that I wouldn't be willing to answer a question unless the OP has RT×M cover to cover, and watched all of Phil's videos.

Thank you Mark.

mj, I made some edits to #1 in my post while you were posting. pls take a second look.

I really do appreciate your help. I have watched phil's videos and paid for an online course which I completed. But until one actually engages their equipment, and fails ???. I've been a musician for 40 years, but left the recording details to pros like you. I'm pursuing this out of a passion for music, and want to help, and be active in music community. I do not want, or need compensation. Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Reactions: -mjk-
I think the problem with a separate 'general recording engineering' section is that it requires users to distinguish between general engineering and their specific equipment issues. The capability to distinguish between the two is what you learn by experience.

Yes, Arjan, you are 100% correct. My suggestion was for it to be engineering specifically on DP machines (in this forum), and not general recording/production techniques. I see that I failed to make that point clear enough in the first post of this thread. My apologies. Thank you for pointing that out. But, that still doesn't segregate equipment vs. engineering issues, which, as you mentioned, requires experience. That problem remains.

As Mark said, There is a general Recording 101 forum. But for example, if someone wanted to apply tri-band compression to tracks, or use an FX send to drive up to 5 total external FX devices, there is a way to accomplish both on the DP machine that may not be immediately apparent. Those are the types of techniques I had in mind.

Thanks for your comment!

For what it's worth,
I would definitely appreciate your input. If you can, try and remember your early days in this biz, and some of the issues you faced, and how you resolved them. If my experience in finance and insurance was as interesting as your background, I would definitely share it. But it was boring, and tedious,, and I retired a happy camper. Now occupying time is my daily challenge. Thanks

Bravo, outside of general recording engineering, there isn't all that much in common with the DP machine of the 21st century (and DAWs for that matter), and my early days in the biz. I wish I had this 30 years ago. I would have used the MCI console as a table to hold it, lol. It fits on my desk and replaces about 2 meters of space in the old studio. It doesn't have all those outside world connections and that requires creativity on the engineering side as well as the performance side of the process. But that can be dealt with. For example, when I get to tracking vocals, I'll be using the Soundcraft Ghost for its mic preamps and EQ, and the channel direct out into a DP line input. But, otherwise the 32 channel Ghost just sits there.

New threads

Members online