cmaffia

Staff member
From
Queens, New York
Website
cmaffia.wix.com
Gear owned
2 x DM3200, DA-3000

Thank you for this Charlie; made the whole process look pretty straight forward, should I ever need to change mine out. Strangely enough, I purchased the 2Seemy back a ways as a precaution, just in case, and wouldn't you know that the original screen is still working fine after almost ten years (And I'm the second owner).
Wait a minute while I run outside and knock on a tree :)

Hi Charlie, Want to thank you profusely for posting this video. I'm changing out the display on my 4800. I've got the screws out of the display board and now I'm trying to remove the ribbon connection. I can't figure out how to dislodge this thing. I'm afraid to get too physical with it for fear of harming the connection. Can you tell me how to remove the ribbon without destroying it? Thanks for you help!!

Okay, Figured it out. It just pulls out. Thanks again for posting the video!!

Last edited:
SWEET~!
Simply awesome How-To.
Love the fact that it is not "cluttered" with background music (no shredding of metal, etc... haha) or even vocal prodding or coaching.
Very nice & effective.

JUST joined the forum here because LATE last night (woe me?) was browsing one of the Big Box Guitar Gear Sites & ordered a used TASCAM DM-3200 mixer (coming from Texas!?!?), complete with meter bridge (IF the picture is correct), for about $900 bucks, shipping & tax included. Hmmm....

Got MY start in recording back in the '70's WAY out east on Long Island, using a venerable old TASCAM Model 5 mixer & first a 40-4, then a nice 80-8 reel recorder with Noise Reduction. ;-)
Had a soldering iron in my hands at around 12 or 13 years old assisting my buddy building ham radio gear, so it's great to see other tech minded folk here sharing their talents.

Rock ON~!

Welcome Long Island. Queens here.

Reactions: AshokanKid
Welcome aboard @AshokanKid You are going to really enjoy working with the DM-3200 and interacting with the members of this community forum. An awesome bunch of guys / gals!

Reactions: AshokanKid
Yeah man, saw that, I did.
Queens!
I've moved quite a while ago & am now just above Westchester, an hour north of the Whitestone.
In Manhattan a lot.
New York! ;-)
Thank you for the welcome as well Peter.
Looking forward to being here.

Hi Charlie!

I finally gave up on the old screen and ordered the custom replacement from this UK guy on eBay. So, I opened the beast and looking at your video helped a lot to figure out the potentials pitfalls, even though there is some differences between the 3200 and my 4800. Now, I am stuck in front of the ribbon connector and, despite DaveDC9 found that it was a simple pull out, I still can't get it out. Is there some locking parts on it? I cannot see any. If I just have to pull it out, (excuse my stupidity), will it go by the side or the top? I've never faced this one. Usually, the ribbon connectors have moving pieces, but not that one. I don't know the part number as well... That may have helped me, somehow Anyway, I don't want to break it.

I am looking at the connector on the replacement screen I received. All seems in one piece. Is this connector build in two parts or will it release the bare ribbon?

Last edited:
Hi you all,

In the process of changing the display, it finally went smoothly. The UK seller was very helpful. In fact I received a somewhat faulty device at first, but once installed, it worked very well for my needs, A minor issue occurred with the display contrast/tilt control which was a bit tricky to trim but, once adjusted, it fits my need superbly. Nevertheless, the seller shipped a brand new spare unit that I do not feel any need to install as I am happy with my display as is. Hence, I have a brand new one sitting on a shelf, still packed. Those screens are way better and clearer that the stock units. Span of life should not be a matter as well. This is a different lighting system.

SO... I have a brand new display available and would like to sell it. Aside eBay or else, should I announce it thru this forum?

Last edited:
Hello there, how much were you thinking of selling for? Are you UK based? I Work with a non-profit young people’s recording project and their screen has been gone for a year or two in their DM4800. I will have a word to see if it’s something they are willing to spend on if it’s not too much money

cheers - Dan

Reactions: Jean-Pierre Pineau
The forum has a "Market Place" section for selling.

Reactions: Jean-Pierre Pineau
Hello there, how much were you thinking of selling for? Are you UK based? I Work with a non-profit young people’s recording project and their screen has been gone for a year or two in their DM4800. I will have a word to see if it’s something they are willing to spend on if it’s not too much money

cheers - Dan

Dan, I answered you via private conversation. Thanks!

Status Update;

Just got a near mint DM4800 here with everything working great, except . . . ;-)

The LCD screen is riddled with lines & spaces, sooo . . . .
Time to source a replacement and get this beauty back in shape.

I saw on another post / thread, where someone listed the replacement screen.
NOT some $200 (plug & play?) screen, but the basic part at $25 or $30 bucks?

This is 2020, and parts like this are a relatively inexpensive commodity.
It's worth $50 or $60 bucks to me for the parts that I can replace myself.

Anyone have this information? I'll now go and do some personal digging around.
Thanks in advance if anyone has the information / actual part ID / part #, etc..

Hi you all,

In the process of changing the display, it finally went smoothly. The UK seller was very helpful. In fact I received a somewhat faulty device at first, but once installed, it worked very well for my needs, A minor issue occurred with the display contrast/tilt control which was a bit tricky to trim but, once adjusted, it fits my need superbly. Nevertheless, the seller shipped a brand new spare unit that I do not feel any need to install as I am happy with my display as is. Hence, I have a brand new one sitting on a shelf, still packed. Those screens are way better and clearer that the stock units. Span of life should not be a matter as well. This is a different lighting system.

SO... I have a brand new display available and would like to sell it. Aside eBay or else, should I announce it thru this forum?

Hello. Glad to learn your install went well. I'm in the middle of changing over the display in my DM-4800...and also my personal hell. First...assuming way too much I thought I had received the wrong card because the hole patterns don't match up when attaching the display to the panel. Well...they don't match up but it is the correct card according the the GB guy. Two of the screw heads act as a clamp on the edge of the display circuit board when screwed in and tightened. Ok. Guess that the part works. BUT......there is a photo of the white connector with the instruction to remove the plastic around the pins that are on the panel. Then, I assume, you attach the connector that is cabled from the LED display board. I did that....removed the plastic from around the pins. In so doing I think I've put myself into deeper hell because now the connector from the LED board (the female part) does not even come close to attaching to the pins on the panel. Loose..impossibly loose. I think I'm deeply screwed. Unless, I take the connector apart and solder the wires to the pins. So far this has been a nightmare for me. And I'm still in it. Did you run across this same direction? I watched the video for the DM-3200 installation and there were enough differences that I had to look at the video with the 2seemy option to clear a hurdle earlier on when I was removing screws. Any suggestions or thoughts regarding this from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know how to solder but I may have to. I think I'll probably have to so I can save this board. ds

I really don't know how to solder but I may have to. I think I'll probably have to so I can save this board

@myrideisa hand soldering can be a daunting undertaking if you've never done it before. I am a manufacturing engineer, and I have been professionally trained as a hand soldering instructor and can hold any military or aerospace specification in the world. Please feel free to DM me for any questions or help that I could give you for hand soldering. All you need is a little practice and you'll be an expert. Have no fear.

Thank you for your kind offer. I have a lot of fear because methinks I screwed up an "easy installation" according to the seller of the LED board. But...presently I'm waiting on a response from a local guy who has run an electronics shop for over 30 years and I'm sure has the professional skills to do some soldering my mixer. I just thought of using him prior to seeing your response. There's no equal to experience and he has a lot. Now....if only I can get him to make a house call!!!

Reactions: -mjk-
OK. Due to some incompetence on my part the install of the LED display took way longer than needed. No soldering in the end. Just need to follow the seller's instructions explicitly. He was very helpful and patient. I now believe I'm a semi-expert in the change-out because I spent so much time on it......trying to figure out my mistakes and so forth. I will say that the video first posted under this chain for the DM-3200 stops at what I think is the most critical part of the install and if it would have continued to the actual install itself it would have answered a lot of my questions and I would have avoided my screw-ups. BUT... all is good. The display looks great and it's such a wonderful feeling to be able to read the display like I could years ago. I love this board and can't see using anything else unless the money fairy drops a ridiculous amount of cash in my lap. I think this option is far and away better than the 2seemy because you don't have to make space for another monitor which in my case I have none. This is like having a brand new board. I'm giddy!!!

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.