IF-AN/DM question?

srgdrum

Gear owned
DM3200
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. I'd like to thank you all for the great information that is available here. It's proved invaluable to me setting up my new DM 3200. Like many others I found the manual difficult to follow.

Here's my current issue: I need more than 16 mic inputs. It seems that the IF-AN/DM might be the way to go with an outboard 8 channel preamp but I want to be sure before pulling the trigger. These channels would be used primarily for the drums. I will typically be using 18 - 20 inputs per session.

Another question:
I record at 96khz using the firewire card. With the IF-AN/DM can I continue to do so? I wouldn't think analog expansion would affect the digital throughput since the firewire is 32/32 at 96khz but I need to make sure.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes you can record at any sample rate with the analog card. They are just more inputs.

Thanks for your quick response cmaffia!

It seems that this is the way to go for me. 8 channel pre to TRS/DB25 snake to IF-AN/DM card.

That sound about right?

Thanks for your quick response cmaffia!

It seems that this is the way to go for me. 8 channel pre to TRS/DB25 snake to IF-AN/DM card.

That sound about right?

Indeed it is. I would, however, suggest using a patch bay with IF-AN/DM. You'd be surprised how many other useful instruments can be used with it.

Once you have the analog card you can plug any line level devices into those 8 ports. I'd suggest that you look at other pre's as an alternative to an 8 channel unit. Whilst the 8-channel is a simple option, it limits you to 8 x the same sound.

For e.g. I have a pair of outboard tube pres and a pair of germanium pres that give particular colours to the sound and are especially good on drums.

New threads

Members online