IF-FW/ DM Driver install on Windows 10

Lynn Avants

Gear owned
DM-24
I've been attempting to install drivers for my DM-24 on a computer running Windows 10. It fails during the file transfer with the Tascam installer package. Has anyone had any success loading drivers on Win10? TIA

It appears that I managed to get the drivers installed finally after turning off all the driver signing restrictions and booting into Test Mode, but the two devices that are found after turning on the DM-24 (Tascam IFFWDM AV/C Audio and Subunit) are not finding compatible drivers. Same result when manually trying to load them via the Device Manager. Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong?

For posterity, the latest drivers are for XP SP3 and will not work with Windows 10. Works fantastic with XP.

You will need to use XP. The drivers will NOT work on later operating systems (Win7/8/10).

I managed to get the 1.10 driver working on Win 10.
Don't know how I did it exactly (tried so many things), but finally the DM-24 is connecting to the PC through firewire :)

These are the Windows 10 info and driver panels:
upload_2021-6-22_19-57-49.png

This is the Tascam Control Panel:
upload_2021-6-22_20-1-6.png

I will post as much info of my setup as possible here:

Mixer: Tascam DM-24
Firmware: 3.0 (needed for the firewire card)

Firewire card: IF-FW/DM
Windows driver: 1.10

PC info (self built in 2018):
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
Proc: Intel Core i7 8700K
Mem: 16GB
FW PCI Express card: Texas Instrument chip xi02213bzay
This one: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007KLBRDG/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item

Windows 10 Education 64 bit, version: 21H1, build: 19043.1052

What I did (from memory):
- Start windows with option 7 (disable driver signature verification)
- Install the 1.10 driver, continue when it asks to skip driver verification
- Tried many other things like: removing/installing in test mode, setting compatibility mode for the setup.exe to Windows XP, run setup as administrator, etc. Don't know if any of that helped in the end.

Note: You need to start windows every time with option 7 if you want to load the drivers and connect the DM-24 with Firewire. It will not connect if you start Windows the normal way!

I had it working in earlier windows 10 versions before, just when I tried it lately it didn't work anymore (probably due to a windows update). So I reinstalled to get it working again, with succes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P
After not having used the DM-24 for a while it wasn't connecting anymore so I had to reinstall the drivers in windows 10. These are the steps I did this time to get it working again:

- Set Windows in Test mode by running Windows Powershell (Admin) and typing: bcdedit /set testsigning on
- Right click the Windows button and select Restart while holding the SHIFT button
- Select Troubleshoot in the boot options menu after restart
- Select Advanced options
- Select Startup settings
- Select Restart
- Now Windows will restart and you get several options after the restart
- Select option 7 (Disable driver signature enforcement)
- Windows will start now and after login you will see test mode appear in the bottom right corner
- The above steps are also described here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/#:~:text=Type “7” or “F7,able to install unsigned drivers.

- Start the IFFWDM PC Driver Install version 1.10
- I ran it as Administrator in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 2, don't know if this is necessary
- Select install anyway when the setup complains about driver signatures
- Select next without turning on the DM-24
- Now the setup will say 'Problem ocurred' and shows 61883 Class Bus device (see screenshot):
- Find the device in the Windows Manage Devices and select update drivers
- Now the device will show up as IF-FW/DM Firewire Device
- Turn on the DM-24 and the connection will show OK in the Firewire slot screen
- Turn off Windows Test mode by running Windows Powershell (Admin) and typing: bcdedit /set testsigning off

You do need to run windows with option 7 as described above every time you want to connect the DM-24 with your PC.

Edit: I can confirm it still works on Windows 11. I had to turn off Secure Boot in the BIOS of my new pc to be able to go into Windows Test Mode, but after that it worked as described above :)

Last edited:
Hi, great news about W11 working!
Are you Getting all 24 channels?
I have also managed to make IFFWDM working on newer version of W10, but with just 8 channels available under Windows, even when I check the Enable WDM across all channels option in IFFWDM Control Panel, so I had to return to pre 20H version of W10. I have to use WDM síce there is no 64-bit ASIO driver in 64-bit 1.10 IFFWDM driver, so I have to use WDM with ASIO4ALL, unless I want to use a 32-bit version of DAW software.

Last edited:
Good Gravy. :eek:
You people show far more patience, determination, and ingenuity than I could possibly ever muster for studio gear.
Stuff like this is why my studio setup/operation has never so much sniffed a computer, other than to back up the SD-card files from my DP-32.
If my studio required the pains you guys are going through, I’d be recording to a Walkman sitting on the kitchen table.

I bow at your feet!!!:geek:

Last edited:
You are absolutely right, computers are PITA as things become unsupported over time.
But having a fully functional DM-24 on my desk, I just can not justify throwing it away and purchasing another console.
DP-32 is a great concept, but I still need all the virtual instruments and VST plugins running on a computer, so using some sort of external AD/DA converters connected to a PC is something I can not avoid. Which means I am doomed, and have to run some Firewire or USB drivers on a PC to get the sound in and out of the computer. Otherwise I could not get the audio to DP-32 either.
Having said that, getting DM-24 to work under Windows 10/11 is really tricky. :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.