IF-FW/DMMKII beta drivers for DM3200/DM4800

Thanks for stepping in RedBus.

I know it's been a few months. Been very involved with the studio recording my band and now some friends with a band want to come in and do a promo project. I really can't be without my system and since it is working as is, I didn't feel the need to do the upgrades. I'm not nearly as tech savvy as it seems everyone else is on this board. If I freeze this system up I would have to painfully contemplate giving it all up and trying to start over with gear that is turnkey and that might mean giving up my beloved DM-4800 even with the failing display. Typing that made me cringe. I really can't afford that. I love my DM-4800. Someday I'll have to get that display fixed and I know that will be hell…at least for me. I've seen the video. The only resource I have is this forum. Thank God for this forum. It's now come to the point I have to pull the trigger…take the plunge into the unknown. Mac OS is 10.8.5 and now experiencing not being able to access some web-sites because (I assume) my browser is so old. Anyway… before I install the latest driver that Redbus was more than kind to share I guess that I have to upgrade the Mac OS to High Sierra first..correct? Thanks much.

Today, I took the plunge and finally pulled the trigger for doing upgrades. Mac from Mountain Lion to High Sierra and from Pro Tools 10.8.5 to 2018.3....with at least two unexpected results. First the warm and fuzzy news is that after loading the latest FW driver TWICE I'm extremely happy to report that Pro Tools AND the Mac recognize the FW card. I have sound. In the scheme of things I guess I should be thrilled. Well. I'm not. Two failures I didn't expect to occur....occurred. And this is a Pro Tools thing but I'll mention it here. A bunch of the plug-ins didn't make the upgrade. INSTRUMENTS, and a few others...all that came with 10.8.5 did not make the upgrade. I just upgraded my MacAir over the weekend to 2018.3 and everything made it. So...I guess I'll have to call somebody at Avid tomorrow and hope for the best. Secondly...concerning the DM-4800. Remote is now not working and I'm very concerned.... I use that a lot to switch back and forth between Mix and Edit in Pro Tools. Not to mention RTZ and the transport controls. Anybody have an idea or answer as to how to fix this? I'm hoping that I at least can get through to Tascam support tomorrow but if someone has already remedied that issue I hope they reported it here on the forum. And if they did, I hope I can find it and apply the fix.

All in all...WHEW!! But the battle is not over yet.

Everything is working. Simple fix I SHOULD have thought of, regarding control surface sasof the DM-4800. One plug-in still is not working, the Steven Slate "TRIGGER 2." Have not been using for probably a year or so and noticed that I couldn't get the drum library to come into view probably in November of last year. Figured all the updates would clean it up. Well, it didn't. Will try to get some direction from their tech help area, hopefully today. Not a huge deal if it doesn't resurrect. Would be nice to have just in case. ds

Hey Guys, any luck with Drivers for DM3200 on a new Macbook Pro system. Running MACOS high Seirra 10.13.5????? Please help :(

I have now found the driver that supposedly works for high Sierra, but its still not recognising my Dm3200. I have a new macbook pro and i am using two adapters to make firewire plug in properly the the ports. Can anyone verify if this is indeed the issue.

Latest IF/FW firmware tried downloading firmware also but error occurred. while doing that. And i could not find

Latest IF/FW drivers for Mac.
Latest DM3200/4800 firmware is 1.72b4from the image i'm pretty sure i have the Latest version (not sure what this is, and could not fnd it anywhere including tascam site

Im at a loss, please help. I have some images to assist, but i am need to be taken back from the beginning to get this sorted. :/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 4.07.05 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 4.07.05 pm.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Firewire.png
    Firewire.png
    227 KB · Views: 40
From the pictures you included it's clear that the MacBook is seeing and supporting the Firewire card in the DM. The drivers are therefore working, so the problem lies somewhere else.
First of all, can you see if software is also seeing the card as a soundboard? iTunes comes to mind, but really any software that outputs to the selected sound output would do.
Clicking on the sound icon in the menu bar, is the IF-FW showing in the list of choices?
You can also check your audio settings in Settings. See output.png and input.png attached. The screens are in Dutch but you'll get the point I think.
Lastly, you can check audio/midi configuration in Programs/Utilities. Is the firewire card present there? See audiodevices.png (also in Dutch, but clear enough). Click Configure speakers and select the channels on the firewire card that you want to use as the output to the DM for the normal stereo signal.

If all this is working: are you receiving any sound into the DM through the card? Play a song from iTunes with the FW-card selected as output. Are the meters responding on the selected channels?

You should check all this the other way around too, of course. Sound from the DM going to the MacBook. Can you select the IF-FW as a sound input source etc.

You can report back here.

Good luck.

Marcel

Attachments

• input.png
    input.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 28
  • output.png
    output.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 25
  • audiodevices.png
    audiodevices.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 25
Forgot to show that important step, to select the channels you want to use for the stereo signal from the computer. See screen attached.

Attachments

• selectchannels.png
    selectchannels.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Darryn
Hi Marvel, thanks for your response. It's good to know i have the latest drivers. Yes it is not appearing on my sound options, (please see image below.)

Attachments

• TascamForum.png
    TascamForum.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 22
hm, so the drivers appear to be NOT working.
The Mac sees the IF-FW on the firewire bus, but it doesn't know what it's for.

Let's do some double checking.
* The drivers I am using are 1.30f10. You can check this with the IF-FW control panel.
* The firmware on the DM is 1.72b4 (check in Utility/System on the DM).
* I assume the FW-card is recognised by the DM? Go to Digital/Slot x-x to check.
Firmware version is 1.02, build 75562, but yours could be as high as 1.10
* Could you check System Information on the Mac -> Audio. Is the IF-FW present there? My guess is not. (See screenshot attached).
* Open Terminal and type kextstat <enter>
A long list of loaded drivers appears. Is this in there somewhere:
com.tascam.driver.IFFWDMmkII (4.2.0 39752)

I am running a Mac Pro 2010 with High Sierra 10.13.5 and it's working fine. Also on an iMac with High Sierra before that.

Attachments

• audio.png
    audio.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
  • On my DM utility/System there is a Header that says "Version Information" and then sub headings underneath 'Mixer: 1.62 and Updater: BL 1.
  • In Digital/Slot 1 the status card is ok but 1394 says the drivers are offline. ???
I think before trying the other options, i'll need to get this online again. How should i proceed? Should i try unplugging the firewire card and reconnecting again?

Thanks again!

Not sure if this info matters but my Firmware version is 1.10 and Build# 88685

Firmware is OK. Drivers are offline means they are not loaded on the Mac. Try uninstall, restart Mac, reinstall.

Just to be sure, I tried reinstalling this particular driver (image attached with link from Redbus, its a little earlier in this thread.) restarting and still no communication. But then even earlier in the thread some mentions three different driver types (image attached) so im a little confused with how that works, and not sure if its relevant.

Attachments

• DownloadDriver.png
    DownloadDriver.png
    410.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Driver.png
    Driver.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.55.54 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.55.54 pm.png
    314 KB · Views: 20
There are three different drivers for three different things.

There's firmware, which is built into devices, think of it as the operating system for the hardware devices. For the IFFW this should be 1.02 or higher. In your case it's 1.10, which is fine.

There also firmware for the mixer itself, the latest version is 1.72b4. Yours is 1.62, so this could be updated. I don't think this is the problem at the moment. BUT it COULD be. So best make sure this is the latest. You need to connect the DM through USB and install TM Companion.

And then there are such things as software drivers. These are used to make the computer talk to the hardware. In your case the problem is here somewhere. The Mac sees the firewire bus and the connected IFFW, but doesn't know what it's for. The driver 1.30f10 is meant for that and it's clearly missing. It tells the Mac there is an audio device which can be used and it can be found on the firewire bus. Plus how to address it etc.

I'll send you a PM with a wetransfer link with the latest versions of everything, including TM Companion (in case you don't have that).

EDIT: PM sent.

Last edited:
I was unable to attached an image on the PM, so i'm doing so here. This happened last time, I tired downloading the first one "Firmware updater" and this happens.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 10.40.21 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 10.40.21 pm.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 10.40.27 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 10.40.27 pm.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 24
The second error occurred downloading the TMC companion file: It says that no compatible mixer was found (check image). I should say that Because its a new macbook pro, i have had to use firewire 400 to 800 cable, then Firewire to thunderbolt adaptor, then a third adator to go from old thunderbolt to new one. but Apparently this has worked with others, so I'm not considering this as the problem just yet.

Attachments

• Companion Error .png
    Companion Error .png
    52.9 KB · Views: 16
OK, I'm out of options. Can you get hold of a different Mac to try if that works. And to try to update the firmware on the DM?
I do think the daisy chain of adapters could be a problem. Although my previous setup with the iMac had only one adapter less (from Thunderbolt 2 to 3) and worked fine.
Sorry we couldn't make it work. Anyone else an idea?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.