IF/FW - mk1 64bit o/s 64 bit host - does it work?

bassplayerpete

Gear owned
DM24
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone can help.

I have been a long time user of a DM24 and IF/FW mk1 on a 64 bit o/s with a 32 bit host (Cubase 5). Just recently, however, I’ve been looking at jumping over to a 64 bit host (again Cubase 5) to see if there are any speed/memory benefits to be had. The problem is, when I got to device setup in Cubase 64 bit, the TASCAM drivers are not in the drop down list. I have tried demos of other 64 bit hosts such as Ableton and Studio 1 and the same thing occurs, so I assume it' a driver issue. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had managed to get the IF/FW drivers working on a 64 bit o/s and 64 bit host, and if so, what did you do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

There are old unsupported 64bit drivers for the original IF/FW card however I haven't seen one person report that they're 100% stable. If it doesn't work for you either then your stuck with 32-bit.

Get it here:
https://dev.tascam-parc.com/parc_beta/
Username : iffwdm
Password : firefly

Thank you for your responses, guys. I have the 32 bit drivers working perfectly well under Win 7 64 bit, although it is a faff remembering 'F8' when booting.

Thanks for the link, cmaffia - I'll give them a go and see what results I get.

I wonder if it's getting near the time when I let the ol'girl go...

Thanks again,

Pete

Let her go for 64 bit? Nah. Even though my DM3200 fully supports 64bit, I'm using in in Windows 10 in 32 bit mode just so I have full compatibility with my older beloved 32 bit plugins. I never felt the squeeze for 64 bit but it's there if I need it.

@bassplayerpete and let it go for what? No product like the DM24 or DM3200/4800 exists beyond them really.. at least not in an affordable price range. Close cousins like the Presonus Studio or the Behringer X32 are a step down for more money IMO.

Let her go for 64 bit? Nah. Even though my DM3200 fully supports 64bit, I'm using in in Windows 10 in 32 bit mode just so I have full compatibility with my older beloved 32 bit plugins. I never felt the squeeze for 64 bit but it's there if I need it.

Great, good to hear that at least something works even in Windows 10 !
My next challenge will be using thunderbolt-to.firewire adapter on a laptop which does not have a firewire port anymore. ;-)

All your points are valid, cmaffia, so I'll keep her going. And if I am honest, I rarely push the boundaries of 32bit;)

@bassplayerpete and let it go for what? No product like the DM24 or DM3200/4800 exists beyond them really.. at least not in an affordable price range. Close cousins like the Presonus Studio or the Behringer X32 are a step down for more money IMO.

I do not know. X32 does not seem to be a step down compared with DM-24 to me. It is extremely flexible with lots of inputs and outputs, lots of expansion options, has very good sound quality (based on Sound on Sound review), and costs less than the DM-24 did. If I was buying today, I would most probably go for X32 over DM-24. What it lacks is digital inputs and word clock, (but it has thos with optional ADAT interface). It also misses the 96kHz sampling, but the DM-24 is so limited at 96kHz that I can not use it anyway.
DM3200/4800 is a different story.

Yes I was comparing it to Tascam's current offering which is still the DM3200. I'm not saying the X32 is horrible but technically it should offer a lot more for it's $2300 price tag. I also take issue with the following claim stated in their product literature:

the “world’s biggest computer audio interface” allowing up to 32 channels of microphones to be sent into the DAW software, while at the same time allowing up to 32 individual channels of DAW tracks to return back to the console for mixing “out of the box”

....at 48KHz

"Boing!!!".. that's the sound of the bullshit flag.

The FireWire card in my DM3200 has been doing the same at 96KHz for the last 8 years.

Reactions: Arjan P
Makes perfectly sense.
It seems that 96kHz will never make it to neither X32 nor M32 even if it is hardware ready as they claim. I would love to be one of the lucky guys with the D3200 instead of DM-24, as I can buy the D-3200 for 500,- EUR less than for what I bought the DM-24 years ago, but for my poor home studio it does the job perfectly. ;-)
The only real issue I have is that the control surface integration with all the DAW software I tried is not 100%.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.