IF-FWDM not being recognized my Mac

Daiuto99

Gear owned
Tascam DM-3200
Hello,

I’m new to the forum, and have tried to respect everyone’s time by searching the threads and stickies as much as I can. Hopefully, I didn’t miss a thread.

I’m having problems getting the IF-FW/DM card recognized by my Mac.

When I first installed it (on Snow Leopard), loaded the driver (from the Tascam site) it came up as OK and READY. Then it seemed to be dropping in and out. Basically seemed like the Mac can’t hold the connection to the card.

I’ve been reading through the threads on the Forum and have since upgraded to Maverick and the beta driver (1.30f6) – nothing. In the system profile under fire wire I have Built in Hub – and the card is coming up as an Unknown Device.

IF-FWDM Control Panel – Status: No Device Found.

Clock set to internal | 44.1 (when I switch to 48k- 1394 reports FS Mismatch) – which I am assuming is saying that my mac is still somehow set to 44.1. However, with the card not being recognized, I’m not sure why it’s saying that.

Is it possible that I have a bad 400/800 cable? It was originally working and it’s showing up as an unknown device in the system … so it would make me think it is a software/config/driver issue. That is the only thing left I can think of.

I have new cables on their way.

Is that the next logical step or am I missing something obvious?

Thank you, this is a great forum!

Leo

Primary Gear:
MAC
- OSX 10.9.5
- 2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon

DM-3200
- firmware : 1.72b3
IF-FWDM MKII (firmware 1.10 build# 88685)
- driver 1.30f6

Sorry to break the news..... Mac OSX 10.9.5 doesn't work with the beta driver: it uses the same signing procedure that we'll be getting in Yosemite, and forum member and Tascam software engineer RedBus has warned Mac users to not upgrade until the new driver is ready (which should be real soon now.) If you can go back to 10.9.4, the current beta driver works perfectly.

Thank you Jim. I'm looking for a way to get back to 10.9.4. I only upgraded because it wasn't being consistently recognized in Snow Leopard. Was Snow Leopard shaky too?

For what it's worth, I've had FireWire issues on my Xeon Mac Pro since OS X 10.7. I've managed to find workarounds for all of them, but no actual diagnosis or proper resolution. Long story short is that OS X sometimes fails to recognize the FireWire connection at boot, but this is remedied by unplugging the FireWire connection from the tower and plugging it back in. I know one other person with the same model Mac Pro who has the exact same issue with his DM. Booting 10.6.9 on the same machine makes the issue (and a few other issues go away), which indicates that the problem is not with my hardware. Booting the exact same installation of 10.9 on a different machine also eliminates the problem, seemingly indicating that that problem is not with my software.

RedBus made it clear that the most recent driver (which means all previous versions) will not work under 10.9.5.

Last edited:
Sorry to break the news..... Mac OSX 10.9.5 doesn't work with the beta driver: it uses the same signing procedure that we'll be getting in Yosemite, and forum member and Tascam software engineer RedBus has warned Mac users to not upgrade until the new driver is ready (which should be real soon now.) If you can go back to 10.9.4, the current beta driver works perfectly.

Thanks Jim!
Yikes... I didn't see the warning about 10.9.5.
I might have jumped in to the Yosemite falls.
10.9.4 has been an oasis of stability.
Much appreciation to you for the heads up.

Reactions: jamsire
No prob, but the thanks goes to RedBus, for bringing us the straight word. Fortunately, its not a mysterious problem qnd they expect to have a driver ready for 10.9.5 (and Yosemite) shortly.

BTW... he says this is a stop-gap for 10.9.5 ONLY and they are working on the final Yosemite release version.

SO I just got Snow Leopard back running (I couldn't get Mavericks 10.9.4 rebuilt - don't have the original media).

With the release of the 10.9.5 driver (thanks Redbus), should I just call it a nice refresher and go back up to 10.9.5 (and stay there for a while)?

Seems like that would be the best thing to do. Thoughts?

Decided to upgrade to 10.9.5 (again). Hopefully the beta driver and new cable will do it. I will post an update shortly. Thanks
Leo

Bad News.
I upgraded the system back up to 10.9.5 and still not having the card recognized by my Mac.

I rebooted my Mac and watched the DM-3200 ... before OSX was completely loaded it briefly said 1394: Locked .... as soon as the OS came up it went to offline.

still showing up as "unknown" in the system.

ive uninstalled and re-installed the drivers 2x. Same deal.

I also installed the new FW400 / FW800 cable.

What else can I try? Do you think it's a bad card?

Attachments

• Driver Offline.png
    Driver Offline.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 5.30.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 5.30.49 PM.png
    949.3 KB · Views: 19
The new beta driver seems to be working fine here under 10.9.5. I'll be working for real tomorrow, and I'll report any trouble.

Could be a bad card - we've seen sometimes the FireWire PHY chip burns out some of its power supply pins and behaves badly like that - no connection made at all.

Thanks all.

The card is only a few months old, but I can't think of anything else to try. I bought it from B&H.

I'm traveling for a few days but will reach out to Tascam directly when I get back this weekend.

Thanks Jim!
Yikes... I didn't see the warning about 10.9.5.
I might have jumped in to the Yosemite falls.
10.9.4 has been an oasis of stability.
Much appreciation to you for the heads up.

Hey Jim...
I hadn't gone to 10.9.5 when I saw your warning.
My message might not have conveyed this info clearly.
My intention was to thank you for warning me to not take that step.
I thank you again.
I've downloaded the new beta driver, but have not installed it yet.

Tonight, I did the jump to 10.9.5 and the old beta driver seems to be working fine.
I've got a firm audio lock between Mac and DM.

In my case, it seems that the old driver is working fine in 10.9.5

After a few tests, I'm happy to report that the DM firewire audio is working fine with the "old" beta driver in 10.9.5.

Cool! BTW, took your meaning the first time. I'm running the current beta, 10.9.5, no problems to report.

Thanks Jim...
I'm happy to report that the old beta is working fine in 10.9.5.
I have the new one cued up, just in case.
I'm very happy with the stability of the DM/MacOS.
Very solid.
Who knows what Yosemite will bring.
I'm hoping for an easy transition.
Thanks for your generous insights and contributions of knowledge.
I'm thankful for this forum and all of the great folks here.

New threads

Members online