I'm having problems with the Stereo Fader and drawing a blank

Jason Beers

Gear owned
DP 24SD
So yesterday, my stereo fader decided to become useless (hahah). There is a still a level, but it is not responsive when I move the fader up or down. At the same time, the monitor level controller now controls the levels that the stereo fader previously controlled. I've searched through the forums (and yes, the manual). Could this be a firmware issue (I have not updated since I bought this portastudio a little bit over two years ago)? Could it be a broken stereo fader?

By the way, I have recorded hundreds of songs on this machine and I love the sounds and ease of operation.

HAAAAALLPPPP

Welcome to the forum.

If the Stereo Master Fader still controls the Stereo Bus Meters, then it's not the Stereo Fader.

The Monitor Level Knob cannot control the Stereo Bus circuit. Look to a switch or button setting you forgot to reset to its default.

Last edited:
Thanks! I will try that when I get home tonight and then go from there.

I couldn't get the Stereo Master Fader to do anything. I did update my firmware and reinitialized.

Here's a video of what is up.

The block diagram shows the L/R meter bars on the far right are placed before the monitor level knob, so assuming there is nothing else connected to the machine, I can't see any way the knob can affect the meters in normal operation.
The control (and the stereo fader) are both shown within the digital region on the diagram so my money would be on either the firmware or a physical connection problem on the PCBs inside (cable connector or soldered joint).
Mark may have some other ideas, but if the firmware is definitely up to date (v1.09 for the dp-24sd) and you did a factory initialise, I think it will need taking apart.
A local repair shop is your best bet if you can find one, unless you are competent working on static-sensitive electronics yourself.

It wouldn't hurt to do the latest firmware update a second time.

I updated firmware twice. Still issue.
However, going off of Phil's suggestion that it might be solder or connection issue, I tried getting little physical with the Stereo fader. Giving it a little force downward, the fader worked momentarily. Why would that enable the Monitor control? Hmmmm

Luckily there is an official Tascam repair shop 2 hours away from me. Thanks everybody and I will let you know what's up once it is resolved.

Btw, many thanks and especially many thanks to Phil Tipping for the invaluable videos.

I would give it a shot of Deoxit as a first response.

Reactions: Jason Beers
Yeah, hah it just dawned on me that maybe there is some gunk in there. I will try deoxit tonight.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.