Is bouncing the only way?

BazzBass

Soundaholic
From
Down Under
Gear owned
DP32SD, 2488, DR40
I have a DP32SD, if I want to move a track from 1-8 to one of the stereo tracks that I've made mono, I can't clone it or copy paste it to anything other than one of the first 8 channels.
Is bouncing it the only way to move it?
Can't seem to find an answer, hoping the brains trust can advise, thanks

Bazzbass, I think you have only two options: either bounce the track; or do an export/import. A Wav file can be imported to either one of paired stereo tracks.

Last edited:
Of course, importing that audio file to a stereo track will place it on the hard L or R, depending. A lot has been discussed about using stereo tracks by importing to them.

thanks guys, so if I sent the mono tracks L and R to both halves of a stereo track would that work?

maybe if I explain what I am aiming to accomplish, that is, to have a stereo drumtrack AND L/R mono tracks, so say, track 5 is half the stereo input and track 6 the right, and also tracks 9/10 are a stereo drumtrack.

With my trio I have enough tracks to send the two drum inputs to tracks 5,6 and 9/10, but with the 4 piece band I am one recording track short.

The reason I want this is to EQ each track separately to bring out the kick, snare and cymbals a bit.

cheers

Sure, you can do that.

You can also use my favorite DP submix technique. You can make mixes of whatever you want in Mixdown Mode and then add Mastering FX like triband compression and EQ, then import those back to tracks in the DP. I recommend using virtual tracks for those imports so you can keep the original tracks in place in case you want to make adjustments.

Bazzbass, I think the Production Tips sticky has mj's process in detail. Look for it in the Index: the "Virtual Tracks" posts, "Custom Songs" post, "One Fader Two Mono Tracks" post. Also some ideas in the "24 Mono Tracks" post.

Last edited:
Reactions: BazzBass and -mjk-
I should probably mention this post also. I thought that I had done a post that was more of a how-to on doing submixes by using the Mixdown mode on the DP, but apparently I did a number of posts over time covering differing aspects of it.

Here's my $0.02 worth (and that's about ALL it's worth - speaking as the "Designated Resident Amateur"!!!)
I did a test-run on my 1st-gen DP-32 with this, to see what I could/couldn't do. I stuck to the basics: cloning trx, cutting/pasting, yada.
Short version:
  • I was NOT either able to "Clone Track" on a mono Track 1 to a MONO Track 9 (made mono from Track 9/10 in the Assign screen).
  • However, I WAS able to Copy -> Paste a passage from the same mono Trk 1 to the now-mono Trk 9.
  • Was NOT able to do any sort of trk cloning or Move/Copy -> Paste from 2 mono trks in 1-8 to a stereo track. I couldn't figure out how to "link" a pair of mono tracks into a stereo pair, like you can on my 2488neo.
Dunno if that contributes anything to the problem's discussion...but I'm willing to bet that the REAL answers are to be found in either the Stickies mentioned above, or Phil Tipping's excellent How-To guide.
Unless you're like me and have absolutely nothing else in life to do than sit and play with the studio gear to see what it will/won't do...:p

Reactions: BazzBass and -mjk-
hmmmm OR I could import everything into Reaper. I was hopeful of the Tascam being a bit more versatile to be honest. Thanks for your answers and tips.

Reactions: -mjk-
OR I could import everything into Reaper
Other than taking the amount of time to bounce equal to the track/s length (instead of happening instantaneously, like a Clone Track) - it actually couldn't be easier. I can bounce a track/s in about 3-4 button pushes. No importing/exporting necessary!

That said - only old-school morons like me refuse to be bothered with DAW's - despite the fact that they are indeed quite versatile...:rolleyes:
So that's certainly a solution, too...

But it's so much fun to run a Mixdown of only the tracks you want to bounce together and then import them to a stereo track :D. Then you can add FX and it will print, leaving your limited FX free for mixing later.

Reactions: BazzBass

New threads

Members online