Is it a step up If so, how much

phunx747

I have a question about the SX-1 as I have an opportunity to buy one. I am a current owner of a DP-32 which I do enjoy using and have been able to get good results from. However, I also feel like I've maxed out what I can do on it mixing wise. So my question is this, would the SX be enough of an upgrade to warrant buying it? Both from a mixing side and from an audio quality side? I feel like I'm familiar enough with Tascams routing from the DP series or am I mistaken and it's more flexible or more confusing?

I have a home studio filled with assorted synths, drum machines, samplers, and sequencers. I also occasionally record vocals. If anyone can give me an idea if this is a worthwhile trip down the rabbit hole or not that would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there......
First I will wish you a happy new year. :)
The SX-1 is a great machine. I have upgraded from a TASCAM 2488 to the SX-1 and there a so much more possibilities.
16 real analog inputs with preamps at professional level. and you can really route everything to everywehre :). the internal effects are great, Automation and motorfaders etc. etc.
I suggest, download the reference manual from the SX and take a few hours to read in, like I did. after that I was sure I WANT THAT BEAST :)

BUT !!!!

-think about the SX-1 is a rather old design, they are usually 15, 16 years old, and very often not in a good condition. OK the SX is really build like a tank, but electronics with that age can always fail very bad.

- basicly the sx is a pc with specialized DSPs and audio interfaces build around. its a really complex machine. I'm lucky that I'm very skilled in PC-tech and electronics cause of my job.

Its like a beautiful oldtimer, if it runs fine, its heaven, but if there hardware problems that can be hell.....

What condition and price of the SX, you can get.

So.... think about it :)

Reactions: phunx747
Happy new year to you and everyone else too!

It's a single owner machine and he claims it is in good condition. I've seen the pictures in the ad and it looks very clean but it is in a different city a fair distance away so I can't see it in person. It is a Plus le model, does that mean that it should have the latest OS on it? After reading some of the posts it sounds like the unit can be bricked while trying to update it.

He's asking about $1200 USD which is where my biggest hesitance comes from. I'm not afraid of dated tech(most of my gear would be considered dated or borderline vintage) but I am concerned about spending that kind of coin if it turns into money pit on the maintenance side. Are there any known issues in particular to ask about?

Hello again :)

with 1200 bucks the unit has to be in a near mint condition. I'm here in Germany, and got my SX for aprox. 600 bucks with a little issue at one motorfader. That was no problem for me. Drove 500 miles to pick it up in person and make a few tests before I've taken it.

Kwon Issues are the internal LCD where you often have "Stars n' Stripes" :) when they get old. the RAM and Harddrive are also well known issues. The biggest problem with the SX are the special PC-Cards and special electronics of the unit. The design is like a tank, but if there is a major foult, nowdays there is alsmost no chance to get spare parts.

The latest OS is V1.52 . It runs und BeOS, and have a standard Gigabyte PC-Mainboard and standard IDE-Drives, so that can be checked an replaced easy.
What I like most is the VGA Display . and the 16 Inputs. so I need no more sub-mixer :)

My SX is like a little diva sometimes, but I know how to handle it.

I can suggest following....

If you have experience with electronics an PC technics and able to handle basic issiues, so it can be a thing for you. If your desired unit is fine and in a very good condition, so go for it :)

what distance to get there ??? Be aware, that this unit has a weight of 50 kgs and the shipment can be very expensive.

beside for that price the Roland VS2480 would be a choice....

Greetings

I'm a SX-1 owner, standard model (Not LE, not SE).

I DO NOT recommend anyone buy this machine in 2018 and here's why: IT'S OLD ... In fact, it's really old considering it was released circa 2001. At it's core, it's a computer, and all computers have a finite life span. Eventually LCD screens, hard drives and components fail. I know because I'm trying to revive my machine which has these issues, and I bought it as a NEW demo unit from a large US music retailer who showed it at the NAMM show when it was released. Keep in mind that Tascam will not support this unit if you have an issue. Ten years ago I tried to get an OS 1.52 disc and Tascam kept promising to ship it over several months and it never happened. Most of the components are SMT which are very hard to repair/replace unless you have the proper tools and knowledge. Also, there were only around 300 of these recorders ever made, they are highly specialized, and nobody can fix them. The sellers asking price of $1,200 is ridiculously high, especially for an LE model. Lastly, there is no pitch correction algorithm and on the LE no SCSI port if you need to backup to additional hard drives.

I loved my machine when it worked, but I need reliability and have moved on to a different platform. Spend your $1,200 on something new, at least it will give you a few years (or more) of productivity ...

Hi AnalogAudio..... :)

I agree in that point, The SX1 is a very old design, and 1200 $ is too much for the unit. I*m very happy with my SX1, the issues I had with the unit , I fixed myself. Got tons of documentation and software for the unit in the net. I think, its still a fine unit, but you should be able to fix the issues yourself.....
Greetings from Germany

I bought a fully functioning SX-1 with a few lines on the LCD and some storage rash on the same for $350, just for the sake of comparison.

Axel Wolf, I would love to see a link to the correct motherboard, as one of mine needs a new one and the only MB I located was used, in France.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.