B2RPW

Veteran
From
Long Island, NY
Website
www.b2rmusic.com
Gear owned
Dm 4800 imac Pro Tools 10
I have a new tascam DM 4800 with FW card connected to Pro Tools 10 on a Mac. Its configured as follows:

• layer 1 ch 1-24 are M/L ins. each channel is routed to buss 1-24
    Layer 2 ch 25 and 26 are the stereo outs from PT
    Layer 3 is mostly unused
    buss layer 1-24 are routed to the first 24 FW card channels
    aux 1-6 goes to a headphone mixer, aux 7/8 are unused, aux 9/10 and 11/12 are for the board effects 1 and 2.

Everything was fine until today when I was getting feedback playing back an 8 track file of drums. the TM companion meter window showed the feedback on buss 1 when set to post fader but i tried muting inputs, lowering faders, everything i could think of but was still getting the feedback. So i rebooted (for the first time) both the Mac and the board. Now the feedback is gone but I can't get sound from the board into protools. its strange because i can still control pro tools with the board using the remote layer. But when I arm a track in PT I can't see any sound on the channel and interetingly I can't even press play in PT directly.

Clearly I'm a newbie here and although I've been putting in several hours every day both on learning PT and the board I'm out of ideas for this problem. any thoughts? I can send screen shots if it will help. Thanks.

Please look at the aux sends on all channels... Usually it's something like that. Or there is a loop in the routing to pc and back...

You were right although I can't say for sure which aux send it was. Turns out all the feedback was on one channel, in my case the kick drum track. I didn't discover it until I muted all the tracks and then unmuted one by one. Once I narrowed it down to that track it was easy to remove all aux sends and eliminate the feedback.

Funny thing was that even after I turned off the aux sends and eliminated the feedback from the meter window, I was still hearing it on playback. I pulled out most of my hair until I realized that I had recorded the feedback so was hearing it on the recorded track and not on the channel! dumb noob.

Thanks for the help.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.