It's Now Official - DM3200 Discontinued

I personally haven't used one but from what I've heard from others and what I've read, it's not the experience one hoped for.

When I was doing research on the DM series of mixers, I had the mistaken impression the "Fat Channel" would be able to control plug-ins in Pro Tools. I even asked that question of the Sweetwater salesperson where I eventually purchased the mixer if that section would control plug-ins and he said that they would. When I got the mixer, it took me a few days to learn my way around it, set up HUI control, and particularly learn how to use the routing so I could get sound out of it. So, it was a time later when I finally got to trying to control plug-ins and found it wouldn't work. Follow-up calls to Sweetwater and a tech support rep that knew the mixer and PT confirmed it. And to their credit, they offered to let me return the mixer with a full refund. But by that time, I was so addicted to the flexibility of the routing facility, that I declined. And truth be told, I am very happy with this mixer, happier than I've been with any other.

Be that as it may, I really like what Avid has done with their control surfaces, such as the S6. And EUCON control would let me control almost everything in PT with a physical control. But their pricing is obscene!

Jamsire has graciously made videos of how you can MIDI learn plugin control using the UDL (user defined layer). It takes a bit of setting up and although control is possible, I don't think it's implementation is what your looking for exactly. In other words it's not a plug in play setup unless you take the time to make templates with specific go-to plugins.

As you say, it doesn't quite sound like what I'm looking for, but I'll look into it. And my thanks for the suggestion and to Jamsire for the effort to help others!

When I was doing research on the DM series of mixers, I had the mistaken impression the "Fat Channel" would be able to control plug-ins in Pro Tools. I even asked that question of the Sweetwater salesperson where I eventually purchased the mixer if that section would control plug-ins and he said that they would. When I got the mixer, it took me a few days to learn my way around it, set up HUI control, and particularly learn how to use the routing so I could get sound out of it. So, it was a time later when I finally got to trying to control plug-ins and found it wouldn't work. Follow-up calls to Sweetwater and a tech support rep that knew the mixer and PT confirmed it. And to their credit, they offered to let me return the mixer with a full refund. But by that time, I was so addicted to the flexibility of the routing facility, that I declined. And truth be told, I am very happy with this mixer, happier than I've been with any other.

Be that as it may, I really like what Avid has done with their control surfaces, such as the S6. And EUCON control would let me control almost everything in PT with a physical control. But their pricing is obscene!

Skier - I've been using the DM-3200 for about 3 years and while frustrated at times by some limitations as well as Tascam's premature abandonment in keeping the board current (e.g., MADI expansion cards and improved DAW integration), I am generally happy with it and intend to go at least another 3 years with it. That said, for plug-in control, you may want to look into Softube Control 1. You're limited at the moment with the plug-ins it can control (theirs and some of UAD's) but watching the videos, it looks like a decent <$1,000 complement to the DM3200 for DAW integration.

https://www.softube.com/buy.php

Reactions: skier
Tascam has transformed into an entry level consumer company. Ever since I stepped into the home studio arena back in nineteeen hundred and eighty three, there was always a Tascam product I wanted to upgrade to. No longer the case....

It appears as if Tascam may be going the way of Alesis and Mackie. I have not analyzed the market data in great detail but the trend appears to be that the middle-level end of the music production market seems to have downsized their product lines.

For example, Mackie made a ton of $$ with their 1604 and 8-Buss boards in the late 80's and early 90's. They expanded their product line into the computer/software end of things too. Remember, Mackie OWNED the UAD/Powered Plugins brand years back. It also developed the now-standard protocols for DAW controllers, the MCU and HUI implementations. Yet, it has failed to update its MCU controller for about 10 years or introduce a new digital board/controller for about the same amount of time.

I suspect that the pro audio manufacturers are trying to find their respective ways going forward over the next 20 years. Obviously, nearly everyone uses a computer-based DAW -- from hobbyists to Grammy-winners.

On the hardware side, you have a growing number of (small) companies like Warm Audio that are focusing on quality dynamic processors and mic pres at affordable prices and the elite brands like SSL, RN Designs going (somewhat) down-market to sell to the project/personal studio owners who were formerly the customers of the likes of Alesis, Mackie & Tascam. 10 years ago, I had numerous pieces of Mackie gear that I used day-in, day-out. In fact, I bought the DM-3200 to replace my aging Mackie MCU's (the first version). Now, I do not have a single piece of Mackie gear in my studio but I have two SSL pieces.

If 70% of younger pro users adopt and keep with the hybrid method of music production, perhaps a new "mid-tier" company will emerge and make a board/DAW controller that appeals to an old school guy like me. Or perhaps an audio interface company such as MOTU, RME or Antelope Audio will step up and design a digital board/DAW controller and/or add-on controller that will supplement the uses of digital boards. Modularity and compatibility is the wave of the future for hardware.

On the other hand, if the vast majority of younger engineers are perfectly fine with just working with a keyboard, mouse & computer/DAW of choice, digital boards/DAW controllers will eventually disappear like tape-based digital recorders.

@JHTorch I'm not so sure consoles like our beloved DM's aren't in demand when you have new products like the one I mentioned above. From the looks of it, Midas also has similar products so it kind of answers the question 'what else is out there?'. Take a look on YouTube and watch early adopters getting into the operation details of the new Presonus line. The workflow is nearly identical to the DM series in regards to either mixing in your DAW or routing your tracks and mixing with the console. USB connectivity allows you to record 34 tracks simultaneously at either 41 or 48.1kHz or 55 channels via AVB Ethernet. The fact that it doesn't do the higher sampling rates is my only major disappointment so far. I'm still investigating and I'm actually very excited about this new console and wish it was Tascam's. In the meantime I will enjoy my DM's!

Skier - I've been using the DM-3200 for about 3 years and while frustrated at times by some limitations as well as Tascam's premature abandonment in keeping the board current (e.g., MADI expansion cards and improved DAW integration), I am generally happy with it and intend to go at least another 3 years with it. That said, for plug-in control, you may want to look into Softube Control 1. You're limited at the moment with the plug-ins it can control (theirs and some of UAD's) but watching the videos, it looks like a decent <$1,000 complement to the DM3200 for DAW integration.

https://www.softube.com/buy.php

JH - Thanks for lead to the Softube Control 1! I'll check it out.

However, like you, I intend to stick with my DM4800 unless I have problems with it. I truly love all its features; I just wish it had even more (never enough), such as the aforementioned FAT Channel generating EUCON control codes, a color display, etc. :)

...If 70% of younger pro users adopt and keep with the hybrid method of music production, perhaps a new "mid-tier" company will emerge and make a board/DAW controller that appeals to an old school guy like me. Or perhaps an audio interface company such as MOTU, RME or Antelope Audio will step up and design a digital board/DAW controller and/or add-on controller that will supplement the uses of digital boards. Modularity and compatibility is the wave of the future for hardware...

Who you callin old??? I still have my Mackie 24/8 (w/meter bridge) if anyone's interested in a great analog board at a good price. (still rather quick on the slopes, though...or on a horse... or rollerblades... or... or... ) ;-)

Reactions: Peter Batah
Old??? I still have my Tascam Syncaset 234. Purchased in 1983 and still ticking!

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    887.2 KB · Views: 5
I'll check it out - thanks!

A friend also mentioned offerings from Midas and Behringer; I know the latter now owns the former, but it's still difficult for me to consider them similarly.

The Behringer X32 and Midas M32 are very similar, same OS I think. However the Midas has nicer pres, looks sleeker, more expensive components.

Reactions: Peter Batah
from a business perspective it's the right thing to do for them. No one (with some exceptions ofcourse) wants a complete digital mixer in his/her studio
Apparently Presonus think otherwise..

The DM-3200 was discontinued a year ago or so, atleast that's when they removed the listing on their website and put it in the legacy part, so really nothing new on the horizon.
That's not correct, at least not on the US website. The dm3200 and all of the expansion cards were put in the legacy section within the last few weeks (or less). I believe it coincided with the site launch of the Track Factory. The Dm4800 was discontinued a few years before.

http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm-4800-discontinued.2969/

The DM-3200 was discontinued a year ago or so, atleast that's when they removed the listing on their website and put it in the legacy part, so really nothing new on the horizon.
It's sad they don't have a replacement, but from a business perspective it's the right thing to do for them. No one (with some exceptions ofcourse) wants a complete digital mixer in his/her studio, everyone is going the controller with separate converter/interface route.

Well, I'd agree that some people, maybe even many, don't want a complete digital mixer, but some of us use it for much more. For example; I use it as the center of my studio. It's not only my DAW control surface, it's also some of my mic pres, my digital patch bay and signal router connecting syths, synth modules, some effects, all inputs get routed through it, all speakers come off it -- it let me do away with the jack panels), it's sometimes a protocol converter (line in to SPDIF, or back; AES/EBU to something else, toslink interface, etc.), it's my monitor controller, and more. And I've come across several articles in the last year or two where the author says something similar. Therefore, I'd assert there must be more than just "some exceptions", though I'll concede that it's not the majority it used to be when everyone actually needed a mixing desk of some form.

The Behringer X32 and Midas M32 are very similar, same OS I think. However the Midas has nicer pres, looks sleeker, more expensive components.

I've always liked the Midas desks, even just their looks. They've had great reviews, but you do pay some premium. As you stated, they do use higher grade components and that costs/

Here's where I'm looking. The new StudioLive 32. Series III sells for $2999.
http://www.presonus.com/products/Mixing-Systems

Interesting product and also interesting that it's the second time I've heard about it with the first time being only 24 hours ago. A friend is touring with Minus the Bear and they're using a Presonus product to control their IEMs on stage. They have a deal with Presonus.

Unfortunately it's only 48k and I'm never going back to that rate for any reason if I can avoid it. It also is lacking in the digital interfacing options. I'm so spoiled by my DM products. :( With that said, I'm in an existential crisis with my DM mixers. I love them but need some more forward thinking technologies for the directions my work is taking me. I really feel like the market is trading powerful functionality for bells and whistles in some cases. It's a bummer.

Yeah, the Presonus is certainly different, but I think it's the next best thing. That said, on the negative side: 1) It has no inserts, making the use of external compressors complicated again. 2) It has no pan/balance control per channel, only for the selected one on the fat channel. 3) Only 48kHz max - though I don't always use 96 it should be available on a studio board.

I don't know about anyone else, but in light of the discontinuance of the DM mixer series, I've stopped performing Windows updates on my studio machine. I keep it offline unless I'm registering an app. I do run NAV when online and disable it when offline to avoid interference of tracking or mixing. In addition, Microsoft has been implementing mandatory updates in Win 10, and reportedly doing the same with Win 7 & 8 updates that calls home. I don't want them or anyone else controlling the software in my computers — I want control of when updates occur and which are implemented. I don't need an update breaking something that was working fine just because I decided not to update a plug-in or some such, especially before a session.

I may sound paranoid, but I've certainly been the victim of crashes, systems hangs, apps getting broken, etc., as the result of updates. Losing more and more control concerns me that important apps won't work when I need them most. The next shoe to drop will be when Tascam announces they won't even provide support for our mixers — it shouldn't be like this.

As RedBus explained here at the forum, Tascam will support discontinued products for 7 years however that only extends to hardware and not drivers. I think we are OK on the Windows 10 side for the next 5-7 years.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.