Just bought these

From
Hammond, IN
Website
www.apradio.net
Gear owned
ATR 80 and MSR 16,
Hello all,

Just picked up the ATR-80 to go with my MSR-16. Been building an all analog studio since December and about ready to go "Live" Need the manual for the 2" but I have contact a few sources and believe I'll have one soon It's amazing how little info there is, on this particular deck and associated remote. Think we are ready to go. Looking forward to tracking some tape like we did in the 80's

Peace,
Paul
AP Radio and Recording
apradio.net

Attachments

• 20190326_123237.jpg
    20190326_123237.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190326_193447.jpg
    20190326_193447.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi Paul,
While I was looking I did see the E bay ad that had the machine with the manual although no pictures are shown with the manual. I was thinking of contacting the guy and see if I could rent his manual to have Stereomanuals reproduce it then send it back to him. If you have a like solution then that is just as well. There was also a remote control service manual on line too that was not that much. However you never know what cooperation you will get from people and if the product will be there when you go looking for it as many people could be looking for the item.

I have worked on a few MSR16 units and I am always Leary of the track width of this machine. I had always seen better performance from the MS16 which is a larger more significant unit. More critical head and track size can result is more cleaning needed and a less reliable recording. I have had some TSR8 that would scrape the oxide off the tape and pile up at the head causing some tracks to decay in volume and frequency. I sent one head stack to JRF and when I got it back it was doing the same thing. I polished all the guides and lifter from having sharp edges but it seemed the oxide was being not caught at the head but being shaved off at that point. Quite a conundrum to resolve. Maybe a microscopic examination would have told more but I suspect that the head material of the core is harder than the surrounding structure and this allowed the core pole pieces on some tracks to scrape oxide while the others did not. It happened at track 5 and 6 if I remember correctly. Also remember that 2 head machines cost more to calibrate than 3 head units because of the constant and time consuming back and forth examination of level and frequency response.
As was previously mentioned JRF Lapping only cost but did not resolve the issue.

I worked on both machines in mid to late 80's and both sounded great and worked flawlessly. They were new of course then but my experience was a good one. I found the MSR-16 in a home studio of a deceased owner, his wife was finally selling the studio off. He was the original owner with original manual with 1 service call the unit had That place is still in business and their records indicated that the machine was only ever in for routine maintenance. What we've done with it so far I am happy with. It's a semi-pro deck I understand that but I believe for what my goal is it will do well.

Now the ATR-80 I found on Reverb from a guy who flips houses. A house he obtained had a studio with this an and Otari MTR90 in it. The Otari was in pretty rough shape, needed parts immediately before it is useful.

This manual search is something I didn't expect to be so daunting but the machine was only manufactured for 3 years so this one is going to be a challenge to implement If the manual is impossible to find I can only imagine issues with parts

I've contacted the seller of the 2 ATR-80 from eBay and he's going to see about reproducing his copy. Wrkrbee also says he has the manual just needs to find it so hopefully I'll obtain one shortly and can use this bad boy soon.

In retrospect I should have looked for a 1" 16 track that probably is the happy medium but I was going on 30 year old memories of what I did and on what I recorded on. Never worked on 1" tape so it didn't really dawn on me I may go that direction not sure, I really looking forward to tracking some tape and where we go from there I have no clue but it's going to be a journey I am sure

I have the TSR 8 (which was purchased new in 1992 if memory serves). Found a used M 2600 24 x 8 and then picked up a used MSR 16 in the mid 90's. Both machines are great. Obviously the 1/2" format is not as good 1". The MS 16 would be ideal I suppose. With the 8 and it's 1/2 format it makes up for anything that's critical. When Rhythm City was changing over to Guitar Center they blew out their warehouse stock. Found the Midizer and cables, several patch bays, a video to audio synch unit that I have but have never used. and some other assorted stuff on the Blow Out Table. For about a month every Saturday was a Tascam Gold Mine. Had all this for years. It's served us well. Recorded a number of albums and demos on this setup. I can use the Midizer to synch the machines but for what we find ourselves doing we don't need it. Nice to have it if we do though.

Reactions: Poytar and Caveman
Hey Jeff,

Sounds like you have a cool setup. I agree in retrospect I should have gone with a 1" deck but I built our studio fully on what I remembered working on in late 80's to early 90's at Paramount. I didn't have any experience with a 1" deck so it didn't dawn I me.

I love the MSR-16 it worked well then and its been awesome today and the price point on tape doesn't give bands sticker shock. We have one completed project and one still on the deck currently with another coming in next weekend to record. We haven't rolled out the ATR-80 yet, it needs some attention and I was only able to track down the manual about 10 days ago.

Been reading that Analog is making a comeback on the national level some current artists have tracked their new albums on tape because they're wanting that sound only tape can give which I think is overdue.

What kills me I discovered during this endeavor is how incredibly expensive and abundant the selection of digital plug-ins or hardware the will simulate analog noise so a DAW can mimic analog sound which to me is hysterical. I didn't like the introduction of digital back in 1989 just not a fan which makes me old school but I'm good with that.

I don't know what kind of interest I'll get but I have had a ball building it and recording is my first love and I set it aside for 25 years so I'm having a blast right now.

Nice to hear from fellow analog people thanks for the comment abd good luck to you

Reactions: Caveman

New threads

Members online