Knowing the volume of each of my recorded tracks (DP24)

Bobbydebarbes

Gear owned
Tascam DP24
Dear all,

I've not read anything on it (strangely), i'd like to know how can i know the level of a recorded track on my DP 24. Is there a way ?

i am asking because i'd like to use my compressor and set up the treshold, but how can i set it if i don't know the volume (lowest and highest points) of my signal ? i hope i am clear....maybe the reply is obvious but i don't see !
We don't have a graphic interface that would help on the dp24.

Many Thanks guys !

Bobby, the track VU meters only show playback levels. What you see when you are playing back tracks is the actual recorded level.

Thanks MjK. Understood.
Could you confirm that :

1) there is no possibility to see with accuracy the recorded level of the track

2) we have no information of level when the track is not playing. We can't know the lowest and hotest point of the signal

many thanks,
B

Bobby.

Yes, and Yes.

Reactions: Bobbydebarbes
The recorded levels are shown in the track meter bars when playing back, so you could set the Peak Hold to KEEP in Menu, Preference and play the song through. The highest level will be retained on the display. Not sure how you could measure the lowest levels though, apart from just watching the meters :) Not sure why you need to know the exact values though - I usually adjust the threshold by ear or by watching the effect on the meter bars.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thank you Phil, i'll try that tonight !
In fact, i have an external compressor and knowing the levels would help me to set up the treshold. Of course i can try to do it with my ears, but compression is tricky and must be subtle, so knowing the figures would have helped.
Cheers

Bobby, what engineers typically do is watch the meters on the compressor to see what it's doing. Send it a signal with everything off, and start twiddling knobs to find where it starts to hit the level, and then you can adjust the ratio, release, attack, etc. from there.

Unfortunately, i have no metters, it is a brand new digital one (Tascam TA1 VP).
I'll do my best ;-)

Anyway, thank you !

Reactions: -mjk-
That looks a nice bit of gear :) There's an input meter described on page 20-21 in the manual. I've not read it all but if it's got an LCD I'm sure it will display most things you need to know.... in fact page 30 has a display of the gain reduction - perfect!

Last edited:
That does look like a nice piece of gear. I see that's technically it's a vocal processor as opposed to a dedicated compressor. I might be interested in something like this. Looking into this further.:D

David, if you like that then you're going to love the TC-Helicon line of vocal processing products.

That does look like a nice piece of gear. I see that's technically it's a vocal processor as opposed to a dedicated compressor. I might be interested in something like this. Looking into this further.:D

exactly, very interesting piece, not only "effects", not only compressor" or dedicated to EQ, but very convenient for amateurs like me. I mainly used presets and i tweak them a bit and the results are clearly better. You should look at it.
I love Tascam since my Portastudio 414, i still own and use it ;-)

Bobby, I like the Voicelive Touch II. 9 studio effects that give me virtually the same processing chain I used to mix with. Mounted on a mic stand for live performances, it's uncanny.

New threads

Members online