Looking for 2488 MKII firmware update

RickyLee

From
Riverside CA USA
Gear owned
DP-03SD, 2488 MKII, TSR-8
Hello. I am new to the Tascam Forum, but not new to Tascam products. I am new to the digital recording world at this point though as I am a long time owner of a Tascam TRS-8 reel to reel.

Long story short, I purchased my 2488 MKII brand new in the box back in March of 2008. Sad to say, some financial changes in tide in those next years were due to my Gal getting laid off from her job. That in turn stopped my plans of getting my studio room built.

Well, this 2488 MK then sat new in its box then got moved deeper out of reach into storage. And here it is 10 years later, that i finally drag this thing out to fire it up and make sure it works properly.

The seller back in 2008 stated tis was the latest version. I took that as software and firmware type updates as well as the obvious MKII over the first generation 2488.

So basically, these last few days I have n\been searching the web for any firmware/software updates on this MKII. I just joined the Forum here hoping I might find it here. I used the search option here but found nothing.

I am also wondering what were the years of manufacture for the first 2488, this 2488 MKII and the NEO? I did some recording on my machine last night dubbing guitar parts on the first 8 tracks. It seems to be working properly. I also bought a new hard drive upgrade for it many years ago that I have not installed yet. So I am wondering if i should just wait on doing the hard drive upgrade until I can possibly update the firmware?

Yaeh, I only found a firmware update for the MKI and the NEO so far. My MKII is version 1.00 build 0063.

Rick

Yeah Rick.... I assume you probably did already... but I looked at the Tascam.us and Tascam.eu websites and there does not appear to be any available firmware upgrades. I guess you just dig in and use it as is. ;)

Reactions: RickyLee
Thanks for replying and looking into that David.

Yes, nothing on the Tascam site. They are in the business to sell their new products. So I figured I would not find anything there. Just hoping a fellow MKII owner might have saved these files.

I will have to hope I do not encounter any bugs or issues. I must say I am glad I joined this forum. I am getting ready to read up on the "2488 Home Guide" that is posted here. That is a very valuable document and I want to say Thank You to all who played a part in making that.

I am a guitarist mainly, but can play drums, bass obviously. Sing a bit lol. These last few years I have went more into the electronics area and have been working on and building my own tube guitar amps. But the gigging and playing out has really slowed down, so I am trying to rekindle my songwriting skills from many many years ago lol. Hoping I can finally get my studio room built here at my house, if the financial side of things works out . . . .

Reactions: -mjk-
Ricky, I hear what you're saying, but you may actually have the latest revision. That would explain why there are no firmware files on any of the sites. Realistically, why would Tascam keep previous versions on the site when they aren't releasing new versions? The only reason to keep older versions is to revert if a new version is buggy (which does happen with the DP machines).

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you can build your new studio just how you want it.

Reactions: RickyLee
Thanks for your input mjk. Yeah, could be a chance my machine came from the factory with the latest updates. I was just concerned that it probably needed updating due to running into a thread dating back to 2013, with a person having a much higher firmware and build number on his MK II. He had firmware 1.02 to my 1.00 and his build number was well into three digits, where mine is 0063.

So unless something develops in finding updates in the near future, I will use this machine as it is and have fun with it for sure . . . .

New threads

Members online

No members online now.