Metering and gain structure issue

jon jon

hello all.
I'm still plowing ahead in trying to use the mx2424se.
I must say the converters are impressive.
Now my issue is my recorded tracks using the mx as a converter are too low.
I'm trying to set the gain structure from my daw to my mixer to the mx2424.
the DAW and mixer both read 0db but the tascam reads -16.
I'm using trs db25 cables from the direct outs on the board.
There is nothing in the manual about gain structure or setting the meters.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

Most Protools systems run with 0VU as -18dbFS or -20dBFS. It gives you headroom on the convertors. It's normal because the last thing you want is for the digital signal to clip, because it doesn't compressin a pleasnat way like it does to tape. -18dBFS means you only lose 3 bits from the convertor resolution because 1 bit relates to 6dB. 0dBFS is just the maximum signal that you can input without the convertor clipping.

hey thanks for responding.
That still does not explain why 0db on my board being read as -16 by the mx2424se.
i'm going dir out from the channel strip which is clearly reading 0db.
if i can't figure it out i will have to put some kind pre amp or compressor after the dir out and i really don't want to do that.
thanks

hey guys
i got the answer off gearslutz.
the Soundcraft ghost direct outs are made that way.
In order to preserve headroom.
They send out a signal - 6db less that the input.
and i know my meter bridge is set to -10 so that would be the reason for the -16 on the MX2424se.
Sorry to trouble you guys.

I record from an analog console to an mx, the metering on the console if often above 0 maybe +3, the meters on the mx are then still comfortably below 0, as said before the analog 0 is about -18 digital. I also seem to remember readin that the mx se had a different dbfs than standard and was actually -22dbfs, that was part of the se spec, you will need to check. Don't be afraid of driving the analog hard into the mx there is plenty of headroom.

Alan.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.