Mixdown mode on the DP-008EX

Graeme Ogg

Gear owned
DP-008
I have a DP-008 and have had enjoyed putting my own songs together. But of course (if you’re trying to be clever) there is the limitation that the volume, pan and reverb that you set on any track are fixed for the duration of the track.

I’ve been looking at the manual for the DP-008EX, and in the “Mixdown” section it says “You do not need to keep the entire song at the same volume. For example you could gradually increase the volume during a guitar solo”. Does that actually mean you can vary the settings during mixdown (like moving the automated sliders on a mixing console) and those variations will be retained on the master? If that isn’t actually the case – and it does sound too much to expect – what is the benefit of adjusting track levels and balance in “Mixdown” mode, rather than simply twiddling the knobs to balance the sound in normal record/playback mode, as I do at the moment?

The answer is yes,those settings are retained-I was doing this today to set up a drum mix track that had a lower snare volume in one section...so what you're doing for recorded tracks/playback is also what you do for mixdown....
this is explained in the manual sections on mixdown/mastering....
and the "benefit of doing it"is inherent in getting the result you're looking for...just like what you want it to sound like when you set up recording/playback....

It requires a developed skill set to adjust indiv track volumes during mixdown -especially if you're doing this w/more than one track(I had the snare/HH/OHH vol going down for an 8 bar section then back up)....you have to look closely at the track level vol settings and then check the result-

I recommend getting used to setting up the mix for the stereo master track first w/constant levels for each track ,or less demanding types of adjustments over the duration of the mix(i .e changing something then leaving it that way or making another adjustment later...trying to do this quickly synced to a small section takes a lot of trial+ error patience...)

I just visited the site now to post a question myself when I saw this...always looking to "compare notes" w/other people using this unit......

Last edited:

New threads

Staff online

Members online