Mixer Companion version 1.51 graphical error

Juzz

From
Australia
Website
www.phoenixsoundstudios.com
Gear owned
DM4800
After several years of using the Mixer companion utility 1.51 for windows I've only just recently noticed that there is an graphical error in the meter listing. It reads BUSS 16-24 but should read BUSS 17-24. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I noticed this quite a while ago.

And... On the DM-4800 on Mac, all 3-rows of meter labels start shifting towards the right when you compare each bank of 8. Looks like there may be at least 1-2 extra character spaces between the banks that builds up. The Aux 9-12 and LR labels on the 3rd row on the far right ends up way right justified.

Obvious lack of QA there...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 8.59.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 8.59.28 PM.png
    108 KB · Views: 12
The current version (for Mac, anyway) is 1.7, and that typo was fixed, maybe even a version ago.

The current version (for Mac, anyway) is 1.7, and that typo was fixed, maybe even a version ago.

Uh.. No, not correct. The screenshot I attached displays the the errors mentioned is with using TMC v1.70

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 5.21.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 5.21.02 PM.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 13
Yes, the typo still exists.
It should be 17-24.
Never bothered me until I heard about it.
WGAS?

I just want to keep using my Tascam DM mixer to make music.
I'm happy that the TMC utility continues to work with my system.
I can back up my projects.

Yes, Tascam is not vigorously supporting the DM mixers.
I wish Tascam was excited about the user base that they have.
Sometimes I wonder why the corporate judges dismiss a fine product.
They could even put a couple of guys on this and make a bunch of money.
Maybe they will.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioWave
Yes, the typo still exists.
It should be 17-24.
Never bothered me until I heard about it.
WGAS?

I just want to keep using my Tascam DM mixer to make music.
I'm happy that the TMC utility continues to work with my system.
I can back up my projects.

Yes, Tascam is not vigorously supporting the DM mixers.
I wish Tascam was excited about the user base that they have.
Sometimes I wonder why the corporate judges dismiss a fine product.
They could even put a couple of guys on this and make a bunch of money.
Maybe they will.
I agree. These machines seem like with software, firmware and new expansion can have a much more extended life. Maybe we should both individually and collectively write and call Tascam corporate and remind them of their username for one of their flagship products. I nominate someone like Jim or Dan since they are eloquent writers.

I said someone "like"...I could have mentioned Jamsire or Tascman since they are in the same category...jeez even Jarno! lol. I just meant anyone other than me (not eloquent as the previous response proves!) and was trying to avoid listing a half dozen people. Didn't mean to imply others weren't qualified.. Sheesh :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P
OMG, I suspect a nasty reaction from Jarno next.. ;)

OMG, I suspect a nasty reaction from Jarno next.. ;)
Holy crap just for the record, I don't dislike anyone here geez :). No offense intended just honestly meant someone other than myself to write to Tascam!

Jarno, open your eyes and look again at the screenshot? Buss 16-24 but should read Buss 17-24. Clearly a typo, clearly still there in Mac TMC v.170.

Okay. Since my name was mentioned, I'll chime in:

I know what Charlie (Cmaffia) meant; he was being completely inclusive of all members on this forum. My name was on the tip of his tongue because I shoot my mouth off frequently, and his suggestion I contact Tascam was essentially a function of ubiquity more than my perceived eloquence. Plus, I would ASSume we both share a similar love of sarcasm - which goes equally for our friend Jarno, and most certainly Jamsire as well. And Arjan's recent post made me laugh for about 20 minutes, so he's a 'contendah' for Comedy Open Mike Night too.

And while we're at it, Gentleman Jim of Gravity fame is known to have put a keen curve ball on a word or two himself. For that matter, there are some astute, lucid writers on this forum - any one of whom could craft an effective letter to Tascam.

So it's not about who's 'better,' - it's a matter of who wants to join me. Because I'm going to do what Charlie suggests - write Tascam. I'm going to regale them with all the positive aspects of their DM creations, how mine has vastly improved my recordings and workflow, and my earnest hope that somehow, Tascam - or relevant designee - continues supporting the mixers at some level. I will write up a draft and post it here before I send it along. Anybody - comedy aspirant or not - can make suggestions and edits.

Sound good? Alrighty.

:)
CaptDan

I feel I need to be clear about something as well.

The "DM's" are not the only product TASCAM has on their plate - just take a look at every product on their site. I feel there is a "More Me DM User" mentality without realizing this gigantic company has so many other and NEW products coming through the line. I even have a few insiders there and elsewhere that can't get certain things through to the upper brass.

Personally, I don't care who writes a letter because if the issue doesn't get fixed, then TASCAM is "not listening to the DM user" and for some reason - that is bad. All I care about is people learning the board so they can make music. I helped a guy over the phone from Missouri the other day and that was great. I love demystifying the board for new users.

In any case - just make music.

Reactions: cmaffia
Keep dreaming and hoping and write your letters. Get your polite thank you reply and watch nothing change. Sales is what drives development for any kind of improvements and new features and it sure appears to me that there is lack of sales for NEW DM mixers. Many other similar products now in the Pro Audio market place offer alternatives that are more user feature driven for around the same amount of money as a DM mixer or less.

The writing is on the wall. It is obvious to me that the current DM mixers are a dead product and I expect them to be officially discontinued in the near future.

Time will tell if there will be any kind of direct replacement product. We are in Aug now, so perhaps there will be news of an announcement of new products at AES in October or NAMM in Jan 2015. If a new digital mixer or control surface type product is announced, that would certainly spell the end of DM mixers other than maybe parts availability and OS driver support assuming that Tascam will ever get around to actually releasing a supported driver.

Duh. Jarno, I did the same thing. I don't use the application for metering, obviously.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.