MKii 2488 Disaster

Vijay

Gear owned
Tascam 2488 mkii
I accidently made a big mistake. I forgot to connect the cord from the transformer to the portastudio and switched it on. There was a bang and something went terribly wrong. I am not sure what should I get checked. Could it be that the machine is finished completely? Does anyone have a solution?

Do you mean you connected the power cord to the Tascam, plugged it in and turned on the Tascam and you heard a bang?
Or did you have the power cord connected to a power bar, but not connected to the Tascam and THEN turned on the power bar?

I connected the cable directly from power source to tascam. I forgot about the transformer that reduces 240 to 110. As soon as I pressed the power button on Tascam machine, the bang sound came on.

I'm guessing you're in Australia or somewhere that 240 is a standard?

Does the 2488 have an AC to DC converter in between the power connector and the Tascam connector? That hopefully was your 'bang' and not the machine itself.

Like the attached picture?

Attachments

• ac adaptyer.jpg
    ac adaptyer.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 4
Yeah it has a converter in between. I am in New Zealand. I hope that too. Ill have to get everything checked

The bang was likely some sort of capacitor in the ac/dc converter. But hopefully that blew before anything reached the machine. Best of luck!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.