Model 12 as a simple audio interface, problems with headphone output

Silo2818

Gear owned
Model 12
Hello Forum!

I am since yesterday a proud owner of a shiny new model 12.
I will first describe my use cases and then my problem.

In the future, I want to use it to record some synths and do some live jams with said synths (ideally while also listening to unrelated audio from my PC). This was the main reason to upgrade to a mixer instead of just an audio interface. The model 12 seemed nice for the possibility to record all channels via USB and not only the final stereo mix.
Another use case I have is a simple audio interface, PC Stereo Audio out (YouTube, Music, Games, Voice Chat,...) to my Headphones and a single Mic as Input to Discord or Zoom (with monitoring on my ears to "hear myself").

I started by trying to use the model12 as a simple stereo out. I found how I could change the PC out to 9/10 or to Main directly.
With this, I was able to get my PC audio to my ears at a good level.

Now I wanted to add my mic input to complete my "simple interface" setup.
I plugged my mic into Channel 6, turned on phantom power, raised the fader, saw signal on the screen of the model12, but I did not get any signal on my PC. I tried Audacity and Discord for that. I tried to find any settings with which I could tell windows to listen to channel 6 but no luck.
I also changed the Channel 6 to PC Mode, now I would not see a level on the model12s screen and still nothing on my PC.
While trying to troubleshoot, I wanted to watch a video on "how to set up your model 12", then I noticed that I no longer hear anything while I was still seeing signal on the model12s meter.
When I cranked the volume of the headphones out and the main fader up significantly, I could hear a faint signal. But with heavy distortion.
I turned it off and on again, rebooted my PC, replugged the USB cord, nothing.
After some time, I started from scratch again, and managed to get a good signal on my headphones once more. After trying to add the mic input, I had the same ultra-quiet levels again with no way of restoring the good levels. I have not tried it since.

TL;DR:
I tried using my new model12 as a simple audio interface, and now I can neither hear my mic input on PC nor get a reasonable output level on my headphones.
Is my model12 defective? Did I buy the wrong tool for the job? If not, how would I go about my "simple interface" setup?

~Silo

Welcome to the forum.

I don't own one of these front-of-house mixers, but I'll try to take a stab at helping you sort this out.

"PC" mode takes a signal from your computer/D.A.W. and brings it into the mixer channel.
or
"Live" mode takes a signal from a microphone or line level source and brings it into the mixer channel.
or
"MTR" mode takes the incoming signal source and sends it to the related track on the SD card; and plays back the related track signal that's been recorded on the SD card.

"GAIN" knobs adjust the input levels for each channel.

If the Meter Screen level meters are moving, signals are being input to the unit.

The Fader adjusts the Channel send level signal that's routed to various Model 12 locations depending on which Selector Buttons are engaged (Main, Sub, etc.)

The "Tutorial and Informational Videos for Model-24-16-12" Sticky Thread has a video post showing how to route signals to the headphones.

Section 12 of the Model 12 Owner Manual describes the necessary software required, and how to interface the Model 12 and a computer using the USB port. The "USB Audio Mode" menu let's you choose either to have the inputs of channels 1–6, 7/8 and 9/10 and the output of the MAIN MIX L/R bus as input to USB channels 1–12; or to have the output of the MAIN MIX L/R bus as the input to USB channels 1–2.

According to the Owner Manual, The Model 12 Windows driver can simultaneously play ASIO output from a DAW and WDM output (e.g., Windows Media Player). The sample rates of both sources must be set to the same value for simultaneous playback to be possible. Moreover, in the Windows Sound Properties, the sample rate must also be set to the same value for both playback and recording.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer!
This does clear up some of the things :)

I was now able to get things "up and running"
I am now running Main Mix-> PC
PC -> 9/10 -> Aux1 -> Headphones
Mic -> Cha1 -> Main Mix
-> Aux1 -> Headhpones

With this setup I can hear my PC audio, and get my mic into discord or MS-Teams.
I can even EQ my voice a bit and I have a physical mute which is a big plus :D

I also managed to play one of my synths via Cha2 and listen to it via Aux1 :)

I guess I am slowly getting the hang of the routing on the Model12.

What I still do not understand is why the audio out was initially so so so low. I would guess it must have been a glitch in some software either on my PC or on the Model12.

When messing around with the settings I ran into situations where I did no longer hear my PC out but I was always able to get the sound back mostly by switching from and back to the Model12 as output in the windows settings.

---Edit---
Just as I wrote this I had another hickup where I would not get PC out audio (I also did not see in on the screen of the Model12)
I could not get it back until I turned the Model12 off and on again.
If I am not mistaken I only turned on phantom power when the hickup happened.

Not a big problem but annoying if this keeps happening especially for a 600+ piece of gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online

No members online now.