Monitoring on the DP-24SD

David Tucker

I just got my DP-24SD today (and I've watched most of Phil's videos), and I am having what seems like an unusual problem. When I am monitoring a signal that I am preparing to record, the volume is extremely low. If I crank everything up (trim, digital trim, channel fader, stereo fader, monitor level) I can get it in the headphones, but it distorts.

When I record audio with this setup and play it back, the volume is fine in the headphones.

I have tried this both through the headphone jack as well as with the monitor out (using a headphone amp), and I have the same results with both options.

Is the signal level of your source high enough? That's the first place to look. If you can crank up the trim and you still aren't seeing the "OL" light then you likely have a low incoming signal level.

Also, try a different input.

Last edited:
So - long story short, I only had headphones to test with, and while these are good headphones they apparently weren't compatible with the DP-24SD. I got some new ones (Sennheiser HD 380) and this issue went away. The different in levels was tied to the fact that I had to record the sound so hot to hear anything in the headphones. The fact that it was different between monitoring and playback wasn't the issue I thought it was.

So - long story short - if you experience this issue, you probably need to check the forums here to see if your headphones will work well with the unit.

New threads

Members online