Moving 424 mkIII Tape Tracks to DP-32SD

Chileguitar

Gear owned
DP-32SD
Looking for any recommendations for moving my old Tascam 424 mkIII Tape Tracks to my new DP-32SD...
I started moving them to my 2488 via the Tape Outputs from the 424 to the Inputs on the 2488 and was having good success except some of the track levels coming from the 424 were occasionally causing Overloads during the recording process.
I am planning to use the same process to move them to my new DP-32 but using the Dynamics Compressor on the inputs. I am not well versed with the use of Compressors and I was wondering if any of you would have any recommendations on whether to just use the factory default settings or to change them. The tracks that I am importing are acoustic guitars and vocals.
Thanks for any advice!

Any compression or limiting will compromise the signal to some degree, so I would try and avoid it if possible, especially as once you've added any processing during the recording, you won't be able to get rid of it. Could you not reduce the input level enough with the DP-32 Trim controls? You should also be using the 1/4" jack inputs (the XLR's are higher sensitivity for mic signals). If you create each song with a high quality 24-bit setting, you can get away with surprisingly low average recording levels, well away from the peak. General advice is an average of -12 or -18dB on the meters.
Once you've recorded everything as pristine as possible, you can then consider compression and EQ if needed, but the advantage is you can try different settings without damaging the master recordings.
Just my 2c.

Thank you Phil...
I will be using the 1/4" jacks and I will record at 24 bits; will probably use 48khz sampling too. I always record dry and add later when live recording, so I will do the transfer without any compression too. These are old tapes, but seem to be in decent condition so they should transfer well. I really appreciate the advice regarding the recording levels at 24 bits. I didn't realize that would enable lower levels. Thanks again!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Just a quick update...
I have been successfully transferring the recorded tape tracks from the 424 to the DP-32 using the 24 bit 48khz sampling without using any compression and without any loss of signal or any distortion. I have the input levels set so that no signal exceeds the recommended -12dbs. I've only about 20 more hours of recordings to transfer! :)

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.