MSR-24 connection to balanced mixer

Paulvanrijswijk

Gear owned
MSR-24
Hi,

Hopefully someone here has got the answer to this situation.
I have a Tascam MSR-24 in perfect condition, I hooked this machine up to my 32 channel mixing desk (D&R Orion-X)
The Orion-X recording in and outputs are all balanced.
The Tascam MSR-24 is unbalanced.
I have just used mono-jack to -RCA but now there is a slight hum in the playback signal but there is no hum in the recorded signal on tape.

Is there anyone here who knows the best way to connect these two ?

I'm running an MSR16 with M3700 console which also have unbalanced connections. I find that on their own they're fine but as soon as I connect some outboard equipment it can introduce ground loop hum.
I solved the issue by ensuring all outboard in the control room is connected via a power conditioner from the same outlet. However I still encounter issues when some items in the live room are plugged into the mains and return to the console via the multicore patch. I always make sure that any monitor channels I'm not using are muted. This helps reduce the hum a lot.
Apart from that I would go through every bit of kit you have and unplug it from the mains just running the console and tape machine. Plug each piece of outboard in and see if you can isolate exactly whats causing the hum. If it hums with just the machine try using the same mains outlet and/or a power conditioner.

I use an unbalanced amplifier for my 5.1 surround outputs, and to convert them from balanced analog audio out to the amplifier’s unbalanced audio ins I use a TASCAM LA-81, which does 8 channels of balanced-to-unbalanced conversion very cleanly. Can recommend!

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.