Mx 24242 with SSD harddrive

grabacionesdecampo

Gear owned
atr 60-8
Hello!
This is my first post in this forum and i would like to start with a big thank you to all the forum contributors!

I'm in the process to buy a mx2424, with Aes/ebu and analog cards.
The machine looks to be in good condition and the seller is so kind that he will lend me the machine so i can try it before i buy it (or not). Hopefully i would keep it and i can record music again without looking to a screen like i used to 15 years ago!

My main in concern is about the noise that machine can make.
As i read in the forum, the fan is not a big issue since it can be replaced with a Noctua silent fan.
But the Scsi drives seem to be very noisy. I have a dead quiet pc with ssd drives. So my question is about the possibilty to use SSD drives with some sort of SCSI to sATA converter, like i read in some posts in this forum.

Many thanks!

Hi, I am not sure about the SSD drives working, a few here have got the SATA drives to work, mine is still a work in progress.

Regarding the scsi noise, I always recommend removing all drives from the MX and using a separate tower for the drives, my tower has rack out caddy's. I have replaced the power supply fan in the tower with a Noctura fan, and the separate caddy fans have also been replaced with Noctura fans. Due to my tower being a heavy duty construction and due to the fact I made a removable baffle for the front it is not too noisy, but the higher speed 15000rpm scsi drives can wine a little, which is why I prefer the old 7200 rpm drives. You could make a drive case out of a silent PC case? I had a similar setup in the past.

However this setup is a whole lot quieter than having the drives in the MX.

Anyone out there used a SSD yet? I am also keen to know if it works out.

Alan.

Thanks Alan,

SSD in a caddy would be the nicest option if it works.

Searching for 2nd hand storage options, i found a couple interesting things:
The first one is some kind of SCSI raid with sATA discs inside. It seems to have a double power supply with fans and then some more fans inside. The one i saw listed in an add is the 8 hd version. It has a temperature/fan controller built in, so since i will use maximun 2 hds at a time, i guess i can put the fans running slow.
http://www.petastor.com.tw/datasheet/alnico 6.pdf
http://www.petastor.com.tw/al-6080.asp

Another option is a SCSI raid with 8 hd (Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 Ultra320 SCSI 73-GB). It seems to be noisy. I dont know if it is because of the SCSI drives or the fans.

But as i comment before the SSD caddy option would be the nicest solution.
Hopefully someone reading the forum has this setup and can comment!

Last edited:
it will take the strain off the powersupply. With a scsi data converter it schould work.

I've not used SSD drives with the Acard SCSI to SATA adapter so far, I don't actually see any reason why they wouldn't work as they are being used for recording in DAW's nowadays.

The major problem in using a SCSI to SATA bridge adapter is the expensive prices being asked recently for these products, from £150 upwards plus the price of the SSD drive which would be i'd guess around £40.

I've done a quick search & actually found some dedicated SCSI to SSD drives now being made such as

http://www.hsc-us.com/products/scsi/3.5-68pin-80pin-scsi.html

http://www.runcore.co/en/RC-SSDProductShow-261.html

http://redrocktech.com/products/scsi-drives

I don't know how much these cost but have emailed the companies to find out.

There's also Sandisk 80pin SCSI SSD drives which could be used with a 68pin connector. Yet again there's no prices available on these.

This is interesting, keep me up to date.

Also there are some SCSI / SATA cards around for about AU$100 at the moment, tempting to buy but I want to see how much the SCSI SSD's are first.

Alan.

So far I've had one quote of $500 LOL, seems that these companies are selling to military contractors for updating legacy SCSI storage systems! Maybe they will target the commercial market later?

Alan I've located a used 500GB SATA drive for £12 (the exact drive Stratos recommended) so I will finally give that a test by the end of next week.

I'm also interested in testing the SSD with the Acard adapter & am looking around for one to borrow or a cheap one to buy!

Wow, wouldn't that be nice to have a SCSI SSD drive in an MX2424!

Terry D.

Scsi to sata converters have worked in the past. As normal sata drives have been as fast as the early scsi drives used in the mx2424 for several years now. When you use a 128gb 2 1/2 inch ssd disk together with a converter this would result in way less stress on the powersupply, less noise, smooth operation. And low cost.

The MX2424 is, together with a touch screen a great stand alone recorder solution besides your analog desk of choice. It will take some work... But you will have a great experience in the end.

Yeah, I've read something ragarding the 'trim' being an issue on some older SSD. I know in other hd recorders (e.g. Alesis HD24) several users have been successfull using a SSD (via a PATA-SATA bridge, only a few of them seemed to work though).

Now, prices for the U160SCSI-SATA bridge required for the MX2424 are much higher than those for PATA-SATA. On the other hand, the weakness of a not very solid PSU, plus the heat and noise would definetly make it worth it when no external hd units can be used, or when a cool, silent working environmet is a must (and always desirable nonetheless). Hence my question, if, besides the calssic SATA hard drives, has anyone been successfull using a SSD in the TASCAM MX2424,

Seems to me, the more I read about this unit, that TASCAM decided too early discontinuing the MX2424, as there was still room for improvement and development. Yeah, I know, the market was heading towards the software-based DAWs, but still...

To Quote: On the other hand, the weakness of a not very solid PSU, plus the heat and noise would definitely make it worth it when no external hd units can be used, or when a cool, silent working environment is a must (and always desirable nonetheless).

I always point out that both my MX's do not have any internal drives, all my drives are in external towers (with multiple rack out caddies) which reduces the load on the power supply and internal heat. This setup is what I always recommend.

Back to the SSD, I have not been able to get SATA drives to work on my MX, I have tried several times and carried out all recommendations in threads, I think the problem may be that it works better with smaller SATA drives which are now hard to get. However I think that the future could be to try to use a SSD, so I may revisit this again soon, just need the time.

I agree, the MX was discontinued too early, the next in line the X-48 does seem to be a ripper, the mark 1 used an IDE drive and Mark 2 a SATA drive. I would buy one but the price of the Analog cards is still too high, and still use an analog console so I would need it/them. The MX is a really good piece of gear and I never regretted buying it.

Alan.

Hi Alan. Yes, getting an external tower with racks and caddies is one of the options I'm considering at the moment. Already have some SCSI U160 32Gb 68pin hard disks. Just wanted to ask if anyone got the SSD working (I know strados and some other users were succesfull with the SATA HD), so that could help me decide with way to go, if buying the pricey Acard SCSI-SATA bridge or getting the external SCSI rack way.

Cheers.

While searching for info on this machine I recently found what I think is a confirmation that SSD can work in the TASCAM MX-2424. In the description of a TASCAM MX-2424SE listed on ebay last year can be read the following:

Installed is an internal ACARD ARS-2160 Ultra160 SCSI to SATA II adapter for 2.5 SATA HDDs” which allows the use of a 2.5” SATA drive (80G SSD and ACARD included - a $350 value.) The ACARD and SSD Drive fit perfectly into the internal 3.5” HDD location. The SSD is configured to be the first drive of the system while the front tray drive is the second (and optional) drive. For those who prefer mechanical drives, the SSD and or the ACARD can be easily removed or reconfigured if desired, and the original style SCSI drive can be put back.

Link to the ebay list

There is no description of what SSD model is, but we can assume this user managed to make it work. Good news, nonetheless.

Last edited:
Thats great news, I could not see any reason why it would not work. I did not have any luck with my SATA drive setup, but I think the problem I was having was to do with the large drive size, 500 gig, if he is using a 80 gig drive that would solve the large drive miss behaving problem. I may invest in a ssd and give it a go. When I get time LOL.

What I was planing was to build a SATA drive bay (actually 2 bays) so that the SATA drives could be swapped out for different projects, you only need 1 Acard adaptor on the back of each bay. The Idea of 2 bays is for quick backups during recording, I back up as soon as a good take happens.

Alan.

I have been in communication with red rock regarding the SSD / SCSI system they have, looks like it will work OK but gee it's expensive. For information I have attached the conversation for information and a Link to Red rock SCSI: http://www.redrocktech.com/products/scsi-drives

Hi Alan,
We could provide solution but out products may be too expensive; $1295USD. We have not provided replacement for Tascam MX2424. We supply debug cable and if there are issues we can take SCSI bus capture and provide firmware updates. Can you supply model number of SCSI drive you are replacing or a picture of it?

Hi Wes,
I use various models and brands, but they are typical of Seagate models
ending in LW, largest 72 gig, 68pin U160

I have attached a copy of the original spec for drives for the machine, but
almost every drive out there exceeds the requirements. I also attached the
scsi set up for the machine, again the recommendations at the time we
limited by what was available.

Yes the price looks too expensive unless there is a cheaper option.
Cheers
Alan.

Hi Alan,
Our 68-pin LVD SCSI drive looks like it would work. Unfortunately we do
not have cheaper model.

Best regards,
wes

Nice discussion. I also want to install a acard scsi-sata adapter en buy a small ssd sata drive. But so far no one wrote that a setup like this really works. Technically it should work But I don't wanna spend a lot of money on something that doesn't.

My suggestion would be to get hold of the Acard SCSI to SATA adaptor and buy a cheap sata drive and get the drive working first, then if this is up and running try it with a SSD. I have not been able to get the setup to work with a SATA drive but many have, I think I have a problem with the format and the drive being way large, it seems to work with smaller sata drives better.

I do own a large stock of SCSI drives so it's not as urgent for me, on the subject of scsi drives, I usually just buy secondhand usually seagate drives, with LW on the end of the part number, LW in the seagate part number means 68pin. Try to get U160 drives as they seem to be a little more stable. You also need access to a computer with a scsi card as this is useful in case the secondhand scsi has a partition, the MX wont see the drive.

I have attached a couple of files that had us discussing this on the old Tascam forum a few years back, for anyones interest.

Some of the second hand drives I have picked up are almost brand new stock from companies that had scsi storage and lots of spare drives. I only pay about $5 to $20 max so if the drive is a dud nothing much lost. I was going to publish a list of model numbers that work well, I need to get back onto that.

Alan.

I just want to add a P.S there are heaps of 80 pin SCSI drives out there very cheap, some brand new,I think you can use 80 pin drives with a 68 to 80 pin adaptor plate, I am going to buy one soon and try it out, the 80 pin drives are a newer design and therefor made more recent and better designed, also more common. Remember scsi drives are still very fast, I'll let you know when I get a chance to try it out.

Attachments

• TASCAM Forums Member Supported -> Scsi To Ide Bridge.pdf
    331.6 KB · Views: 9
  • TASCAM Use Of Scsi-sata Bridge (aec7730a).pdf
    162.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.