Mx 24242 with SSD harddrive

Hi Al,
some times ago I bought 4 IBM 10000 rpm 80 pin SCSI drives for my 2 MX. After first run I removed them all cause they are absolutely too noisy producing a real whistle.
Quite in contrast to the IBM, the WD SATA drives themselves are not heard, only very quietly the "Papst" fans inside the caddies (Papst is a very renowned German manufacturer of fan technology)

I find the higher speed drives do make too much noise, I had some 15,000 drives that I stopped using, with the 10,000 rpm drives some models are noisy some are ok, however if you have the drives in a good SCSI tower the noise is reduced a fair bit. Your right though that the best for low noise are the 7200 rpm drives.

By the way, my small sata drive turned up, when I get this working with the SCSI/sata adaptor I'll get a ssd and try that.

Alan

Hi guys,

I can report that I have a working combination of a ACARD SCSI-SATA converter and a 80 gig sata SSD drive. The drive is from IBM and works flawless. The only thing I had to do was shorting the jumper ET (external termination) and it works! I had to format the drive and the 2424 does that perfect. After that the recorder works as it should. The PSU produces less heat and the drive is of course super silent. I installed the drive as the 0 drive.
I think that it's essential that you use a drive with enough writing and reading capabilities. So the cheap ones will probably give problems.
If anyone wants to know the exact type of drive I'm using I will post it on the forum.

Then another question: I have a MMR8 recorder of which the IDE hard disk content is corrupted, Is the anyone that has the same recorder and can copy alle the files that are on the ide drive and mail them to me?

It's great that someone got an SSD to work, the Acrad ars 2160 seems a bit expensive so it would be good to get a AEC 7730 to work, especially as I had 2 in the cupboard. I also want to mount a 7730 on the back of a SATA caddy so that I can swap out drives quickly and this would be a great setup. I'll get around to it soon, I hope.

Alan.

Alan,

I have this 80 Gb ssd working in my mx. But what puzzles me is wich size of ssd the mx can see? what's the maximum? I there anyone who knows this?

In amongst discussions on the forum, spread all over the place LOL, some have managed to get drives up to 500 gig working, however you have to format Fat 32 on a PC and drop the TL _ project & TL _ import folders directly on to the drive via a PC. I have not got this to work but others have so it's probably something I have been doing wrong.

Then what happens is that the MX sees a 74 gig drive but you get the full drive capacity with the capacity only showing reducing when the drive gets below 74 gig.

I have (hopefully) attached some pages from the old Tascam forum before it went down that explains some of this.

Alan.

Attachments

• TASCAM Forums Member Supported -> Scsi To Ide Bridge.pdf
    331.6 KB · Views: 10
  • TASCAM Use Of Scsi-sata Bridge (aec7730a).pdf
    162.9 KB · Views: 11
I've finally bought a new Kingston SSDNow UV400 2.5" 120GB drive to test out with my Acard SCSI to SATA adaptor. :eek:

I was going to buy a 500gb SATA 3.5" drive a while back but they are priced half of what a SSD 120gb goes for!

It should be arriving Tuesday! Really hoping it works! :confused:

I'll post when I get it!

Kingston UV400 120GB SSD drive works fine. Formatted in Acronis Disk Director & the MX2424 mounted & installed the song files.

Only problem was that I had to give the ssd drive a name & letter so windows 7 could recognise it.

234 1/2 hours available for recording.

I'm going to look around for a 2.5" drive 5.25" caddy bay.

I'll perform some tests if anyone has any ideas?

I would test it by recording 24 tracks at once, can be nothing as it makes no difference to the amount of data. Record for about a minute, then hit play to drop it out of record, then hit record again, do this rapidly for a few mins, this is the test I do to newly installed scsi drives, soon show up "media too slow" if there is a problem. I would then put the 24 tracks into record for about an hour to see how it goes.

Good to hear it's working.

Alan.

Testing.......! The Kingston SSD has now passed Alan's test!

Meanwhile the caddy choices found so far are a 5.25" front bay removable SATA caddy, with 2.5" / 3.5" slots, drive working / disabled selected by front switches. Seems ideal for using both 2.5"/3.5" SATA disks with the MX2424.

Model ICY DOCK MB971SP-B DuoSwap 2.5" 3.5" SATA Enclosure Hard Drive SSD 5.25"

IcyDock-DuoSwap-MB971SP-B%20.jpg

Or maybe just a 2.5" to 3.5" drive adaptor enclosure to use with my existing caddy.

Model Startech.

25SAT35HDD.E.jpg

I ordered the Startech 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor as it should fit with my existing 5.25" caddy bay & drive trays.

The Icy Dock Dual drive would be ideal if you want to use both 2.5" & 3.5" sata drives & don't already have a 5.25" sata caddy bay.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have the acard 7730a and a Data Express OE100i-CSW160/B bay.
It doesnot work, I think because of jumper/termination settings.
The Data Express has a colored connector cable with 5 jumpers at the end.
The acard has 4 jumpers for scsi ID.

Can anyone help me out with these settings?

I also have a scsi HD wich does not work, here I am sure it is because of jumper/termination reasons.

I also could try to use the acard with an internal drive, but don´t find documentation for that...

thanks
klaus

Hi Klaus, the Data Express frame & caddy SCSI has the the jumpers fitted as follows on my machine.

On the backside bottom left of the frame there are two rows of 10 pins, the 7th pin on each row is connected to the row above / below.

On the PCB on the top right side. there are two sets of jumpers, both with three separate rows of 2 pins, the right set has no jumper, the left one beside has the top row jumpers across the top.

11 00
00 00
00 00

Nothing else has jumpers, including the removable caddy SCSI drive.

Try doing the jumpers as above, if it doesn't work take the drive out & connect directly to the MX2424 SCSI cable, hopefully this should get the machine to recognise the drive.

Once you get the DE caddy working, I'll check the Acard jumper settings.

Last edited:
Hi Carausius,
many thanks for the detailed infos!
I simply tried another bay, a CSW/B (no 160) and was able to mount a SCSI drive, without using the 5pin cable from the bay to the SCSI jumpers.

I then put the Acard in the bay, connected a 80 GB SATA drive, and was able to lowlevel format and initialize to FAT32. Recording and playback w/o problems.
I also formatted a 480GB Sandisk SSD in a Mac(!) to FAT32 with MBR partition scale, copied the file structure from the 80GB SATA to the SSD, and it works fine also.

So no need for a Windows computer or Acronis Disk software so far.

What I also tried was to format the SSD in Windows XP with the free H2format tool.
I then was able to initialize the SSD in the MX2424 to HFS+ (FAT32 failed), and record w/o problems. The SD2 files opened easily in Logic Pro X. So if someone has no 80GB HD, this is an easy option also. (This later did work also after formatting in with a Mac...)

After my initial problems, which seem to be caused by the wrong bay, I can say it was really easy to get a Sata drive and an SSD to work in the MX. Especially with the SSD and the quiet fans the MX makes zero noise. Great. (It is important to know, that the MX can format to FAT32 only with HD up to 80GB.)

One thing I would like to know still is: when do I need this 5pol jumper cable included in the Data Express Bay?

Many thanks to all who shared their knowledge to make this work!
cheers
Klaus

Last edited:
Good you got it working!

The 5 pin jumper on the Data Express bay backside is for choosing a hard drive number ID (identity) in your internal or external SCSI cable chain. There are two (or maybe more) connectors on the internal SCSI cable so that the drives & acard card c/w SATA both can't have the same ID position in the chain.

You could decide to connect to the internal SCSI cable to transfer data for backup if you take the SCSI drive out of the DE caddy & mount it inside the MX2424 for backup of files. Change the jumpers position on your drive for the SCSI ID position.

So ACARD / SATA on ID 1 & SCSI drive mounted inside the MX2424 on ID 3 position sharing the same cable.

Or connect the DE caddy & drive to the external SCSI port on the MX24. You will need a external power supply for this.

I took the SCSI drive out of the DE caddy & mounted it inside the MX2424, but it's not connected to the internal power & SCSI cables .

It's easier for me to just take a SATA drive out of the front caddy & connect it to a portable USB docking station caddy for quick backup with a laptop.

My Kingston SSD 120GB drive was formated with Acronis which does FAT32 up to 2TB, I think some of the SDD drives come ready formatted with small partitions at the disk start which causes the MX2424 to reject them. I've found these small partitions with Acronis when they didn't show up on Mac or WIndows!

It's great that you got a 480GB SDD working! I've not used above 160GB so far.

I'm wondering what the maximum drive size the MX2424 would support?

Last edited:
Thanks , Carausius!

I had a similar formatting problem with some USB sticks which had some software preinstalled, AFAIK I was able to solve that with windows disk manager. maybe I dont remember correctly... The sandisk SSDs dont have that problem.

I think, even 480GB is overkill for the MX ;-)

I really have to get back onto making this work at some point LOL, I just need time, my plan is to have the rack out system or rather 2 rack out SSD's (in a separate tower) so that I can have a SSD for each clients projects plus a back up SSD.

Alan.

Here's a cheap option for SCSI to SATA bridge adaptor, takes a 2.5" SATA HD or SDD drive, looks like it's inside a 3.5" frame c/w SCSI connection. Model ACARD ARS-2160 as mentioned as working earlier on this thread.

You could mount this inside the MX2424 3.5" frame above the front portable Data Express caddy, use it for recording & then back up your work to your removable SCSI caddy drive(s).
That would save wear & tear on your old SCSI drives.

Maybe not as useful as a SCSI to SATA bridge adaptor card but it is inexpensive, only $44.00!

https://www.bestkits.top/68-pin-aca...-sata-ii-adapter-for-25-sata-hdd-p-10449.html

I've just bought one to try out & I'll fit it inside my MX, so I can then use my removable front caddy for backing up & transferring material.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online