MX gets stuck mounting volumes

Rob f

From
Sussex, UK
Gear owned
2 x MX2424. MCI JH428B
I'm just trying to transfer some files to newer media for Dave Blackburn. He sent me 2 disks. The first I can read no problems. The second gets stuck "mounting volumes. I've tried it direct in the MX & also in a Glyph rack & in neither case will it mount. Unfortunately these are drives Dave has not used for some time. Is there a way to check the drive that it's formaatted in an MX compatible way ? or even a way to interogate it. I have an ASSO scsi card but I don't have a machine that it will work in.

I have been doing the exact same thing for someone that gave me an MX they did not want any more on the condition I recover the wav files from the 4 hard drives he has. Same also that they have not been spun up for a while.

I off all OK,
2 off that would spin up and down not load, I persevered and eventually they loaded and I recovered the files.
1 off that spins up and down and just refuses to load at all.

I think the problem is that they had not been used for a long time, some of the files were created in 2002. The ones that eventually worked may have needed spinning up a few times to get some warmth in them and loosen the bearings or something (not very technical LOL). If you have multiple drives, try mounting only one drive at a time. Is the drive spinning up or dead? Has one of the standard factory pin outs fallen off?

My next step in the one that does not work is to try to mount it on a PC and see if I can get it to work.

Alan.

I think these files were created in 2002 or thereabouts too. The drive is spinning up & when I put it in my glyph rack the scsi i.d number stops flashing so its stable in the glyph, but even connected to that the mx doesn't see it. I have spun it up a few times and it doesn't play ball. The caddy is definitely good as I have used another drive in it with no issues. I'll try spinning it up some more tomorrow. Unfortunately although I have a scsi drive I don't have a pute that it will work in. However a friend of mine does, so I will pay him a visit next week & get some diagnostics done on the drive.

If you get a PC to mount it, you can copy off the wav files in the folders, this works fine as long it was either recorded in tape mode or it is continuous files in non-distruct. If it has multiple takes in non-distruct you get 100's of part track files, which is hard to import into other software. But if it mounts grab the files anyway as we can solve the fragmented files later, better to get them if you can.

Alan.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.