My new dp32s

Mike Lozano

Gear owned
DP32SD
Hi guys. I'm new here and I recently purchased a dp32sd. My concern is about all the negative posts I've seen about either the quality or other problems that others have had with it. I forked out a pretty good chunk of cash for this unit and I want it to work good for me for many years to come.
I'm definitely not new to the world of multitracking as I've been doing it for a living for more than 20 years. I have a Yamaha MD8 that I first started using for about 5 or six years and then I bought a Fostex VS160 16 track which is the one I was currently using until I bought my new Tascam. I record all the instruments myself and I have a full set of drums that I prefer to use instead of a drum machine. I love the fact that I can now plug in all my drum mics into the dp32sd and mix them to my liking. I can plug them in and leave them plugged in and still have inputs left over.
I of course also will be plugging in my guitars, bass and whatever other instruments I will use.
Please tell me that most of you don't have problems with your dp32sd!

Thanks.
Mike.

Welcome to the forum Mike! The DP machines are complicated, but actual problems with the machines themselves are extremely rare. Use an approved SD card (search the forum and select "site results" for a plethora of information on that), and watch all of Phil Tipping's tutorial videos before you do anything. Many of the negative posts are from inexperienced users being lazy and not reading the manual or watching the videos (honestly speaking), and at the first sign of "trouble" they run to the forum demanding solutions (sometimes their attitude is appalling). Don't let that throw you. There are plenty of people here who will kindly assist new users, but only if they put in the effort to learn the machine first. There are some quirky things like printing tracks with FX that are not obvious, but are well explained on the forum and in the videos. If you need further information with things like that, please ask. But I would say that considering your non-trivial past experience, you shouldn't have any issues at all. You are going to love that machine!

Just remember, before starting a new thread, search first and select "site results." We're looking forward to your contributions.

And yes, most of us have no problems with our DP machines....

What negative reviews:LOL:

When you look at what Amazon, or Sweetwater reviews on Tascam Dp 32/24 ; the reviews are incredibly positive.

Honestly, I've never read a single legitimate negative review on the DP 32. Sure the units have Pros and Cons, but a negative review from someone who just purchased one and knew what they were doing, I've never read not even one :LOL:

I belong to an automobile forum. It sometimes makes me feel like they are all junk. Actually one of the best quality vehicles on the planet. It is just that people speak up when things are not going well.

I have DP-24SD. I have used it a lot. The only problem I can recall was from not letting the little "recording" graphic stop before I went on to other tasks.

It is a great piece of equipment.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Mike, I've been a heavy user of my DP-24 for over 6 years.

I have never had a hardware issue or firmware failure.

I use only TASCAM tested SD cards. The only issue there was with the firmware update that caused an occasional file error, and once known and confirmed, TASCAM corrected that quickly with a new FW update.

Researching for my Tips stickies, I've become familiar with virtually all of the posted "problems" with the DP-24/32/SD. I haven't come across a single one that wasn't user ignorance, misunderstanding or error in one way or another, as mj said above.

My confidence in the reliability of my DP-24 is 100%.

And I'll second mj on something else: if you get to scratching your head over something, give us a shout. Between Phil Tipping's videos, the forum stickies, and the collective knowledge represented on this forum, we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the party! :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the helpful replies. I should point out that some of the negative posts were about popping and crackling sounds that some of the users complained about when they tried to cut and paste something when they were in 24 bit mode. Now that I think about it, it's more than likely because they didn't have the right type of sd card.
Anyway, today will be my first chance to actually have time to work with and record my first song with my new machine so wish me luck. I have a standalone reverb unit that I want to use for my effects so I hope I hook it up right. My previous recorder didn't have an effects send so we'll see how this one works.
I'm really anxious to start working with this new machine that has so many tracks that I know I'll never use them all! (Or will I??!) I have Mixcraft daw software on my computer but I quickly found out that working with that type of thing is not for me. I know daw programs have their advantages but to be blunt, they're a pain in the butt!
You guys have a great day.

Mike.

"My confidence in the reliability of my DP-24 is 100%."

Ditto. I'm at about the 5 year mark with my DP-32SD and have nothing but a positive experience to report. Like Mark - early on there were a couple of issues that seemed to be solved by newer firmware. They're *excellent* stand alone recorders - in my view. Easy to learn, easy to use, and reliable.

Reactions: Mike Lozano
I was a little dismayed when I first bought mine, compared to a Yamaha AW1600 I'd been using for years. Once I learned the mastering function I was sold on the unit.

Reactions: Mike Lozano
I just finished recording my first song on my new dp32sd. I hit a snag when I was trying to figure out how to assign tracks though. Turns out that the mic cord I was using doesn't work with my unit. It's basically just a 3 foot cord so I got one of my 20 foot mic cords and it works fine. I used all but a few tracks. It's funny because I've been using that 3 ft cord for a long time with no problem.
I'm a little dismayed though that you only have about 22 tracks that you can basically use. I tried recording something onto one of the stereo tracks in mono but it rendered that track unable to record anything else on it or you would end up overwriting that track. 22 tracks though is plenty for me, unless someone knows how to make it work so that you could have 32 individual tracks to work with.
Cheers all.

Mike.

Hi Mike -

The DP-32SD has 8 dedicated mono tracks and 12 stereo tracks - of which any or all can be set as mono tracks. So it is *technically* a 20 (mono) track recorder. However - with a little practice, imagination, and a solid understanding of track copying, importing/exporting via audio depot, and bouncing (limitless bouncing I might add).... ultimately your limits are your imagination.

It won't do much good to go into anymore detail without knowing exactly what it is that your trying to accomplish.

A simple example is this:

I often will record a mono gtr track... and then double that gtr part by recording the same gtr part on the next track over - say tracks 7 and 8. This can make for a thicker sounding gtr part. Once those are how I want them - I'll have two options to move those two performances to a stereo pair track. I can either export track 7 and 8 to say 21/22 (you have to do this one track at a time - but it's quick and easy).... or I can "Bounce" tracks 7 and 8 to 21/22 using Bounce mode.

Now I have tracks 7 and 8 available again for whatever I want.

You can do this all day long.

As I said - once you get the hang of it - your limits are pretty much your imagination.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Yes, I used to bounce tracks quite often with my Fostex. I was hoping the dp32sd had enough that I wouldn't have to do that, which it does.

Cheers brother.
Mike.

There's also the other 7 virtual tracks for each of the 20. Admittedly only one of the 8 is 'live' at any one time, but they're useful for 'parking' data while you record or bounce.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.