My New SOP

Tom, thank you very much for weighing in on our discussion. I went ahead and bought that exact same card, because quite frankly I had been looking at it for sometime and considering it since its description perfectly matches many of the cards on the approved list although the part number doesn't exactly match. Your comment positively influenced me. So many of the cards on the approved list are UHS–1, so maybe my desire for a -2 is a bit paranoid.

Interesting to note, that there are many offbrand microSD cards here that support the same technical specifications as the SanDisk, and are only $5 or less. But of course, I did not risk buying any of those. Thanks.

Reactions: Lasvideo
I believe it was on the page I gave you a link for. ..
SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB up to 95MB/s UHS-I/U3 SDHC Flash Memory Card - SDSDXPA-032G-X46

Since getting the new card yesterday, I only experienced one soft error. I believe I know what happened.

It seems that if you have a mixdown file in the song folder, sometimes going into mixdown mode causes an error. This seems to happen when the files are copied on the PC.

Yesterday, I changed the filename of a mixdown file and copied it out to somewhere else. I got busy and forgot to change the filename back to the original. When I went back to mixdown mode, I got a file error. "Of course - what an idiot" I said, and changed the file name back.

No dice. The filename is now the same as it was before but the machine doesn't see it anymore. It won't go into Mastering mode even though there is a mixdown file there.

Other than that glitch, we are good with the new SD card.

Thanks Tom. There are so many cards that look identical but have different numbers that I wanted to know what it said on the package. I'll check mine when I get back home this afternoon.

....changed the file name back.No dice. The filename is now the same as it was before but the machine doesn't see it anymore. It won't go into Mastering mode...

mjk, something else could be at play. I've changed the SD card mix song name and changed it back a bunch of times.

The only reason the DP won't go into Master from Mixdown is if there is no {songname}.WAV file in the song folder.
Considerations:
  • The {songname}.WAV and {songwave_z}.WAV, if there is one, must always match.
  • The restored name(s) must match exactly the name(s) used last time the DP performed a save of the song
  • The restored name(s) must match exactly the song name as it appears in the Menu.
If all those are true, the DP should go from Multitrack to Mixdown to Master mode seamlessly after changing the name back.

I routinely use this procedure:
create song001.
record several tracks.
mix those tracks to song001.WAV, but do not Master it (no "_z" file created).
copy song001.WAV to computer and rename it songmix1.WAV.
do a second mix that overwrites song001.WAV on the SD card.

If I don't like mix2, I can rename songmix1.WAV back to song001.WAV on the computer and copy it back to the SD card from the computer, overwriting the second song001.WAV file on the SD card and restoring the original mix. I've not had any issues moving files back and forth. I've done that succesfully a bunch of times, and then gone on to a final Master.

I've also done the same directly on the SD card, saving a few mixes to choose from. Song001 renamed mix1 on SD card, Do a second mix, rename mix2, etc. All I need do is rename mix1 to song001, and go on to Master it.

Last edited:
hi Mark. sounds reasonable. but, let me ask you this question: did you ever turn the machine back on without changing the name back on a mastered file? i do have an associated zz file, and the mixdown file name was changed back to match it (without the zz of course).

i think once i started the machine, and it couldn't find the associated mixdown file that went with the zz file, it gave it up. i think that's the key to the issue, based on your additional information. once it's mastered and there is an associated zz file, it changes things. it would be interesting to find this out for certain.

Edit: After thinking about this more, I'm gonna delete this zz file and see if it will go into Mastering mode.

Last edited:
I believe it was on the page I gave you a link for. ..
SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB up to 95MB/s UHS-I/U3 SDHC Flash Memory Card - SDSDXPA-032G-X46

hi Tom, I went back and checked your link. At the bottom it said that there was a newer model, and, it turned out to be the one i have - part number matches mine:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extr...G-032G-GN4IN/dp/B01J5RHBQ4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

only difference i can see is V30 video spec.

you're right - the part number was there, i should have looked harder, sorry.

thanks Tom.

...did you ever turn the machine back on without changing the name back on a mastered file...
Yes, and the DP behaves as though no master file had been created and will not go to Master mode. Once the tracks have been mixed, the DP will always look for the {songname}.WAV file when trying to go into Master mode, and that name must be exactly the same as the name of the song as it appears in the Menu screen.

Mixing creates {songname}.WAV.
Mastering renames {songname}.WAV to {songname_z}.WAV
Mastering uses {songname_z}.WAV to create a new, mastered {songname}.WAV file that overwrites the original mixed {songname}.WAV file.

If you press the Re-do button in Master mode, it loads the _z .WAV file (the original mixed file) that can then be re-Mastered, again overwriting the current {songname}.WAV file. Thus the original mixed file is backed up and always available so that the original mix can be "mastered" as many times and ways as you like.

If you go back to Multitrack mode, then to Mixdown mode, and do a new mix, the previously mastered {songname}.WAV file will be overwritten by the the new mix file. If you first rename the previously mastered file to something else, you preserve that master. The DP then will create a new {songname}.WAV file for the new mix, and the process starts all over again when you enter Master mode.

The same is true if you do this with the mixed stereo file created in Mixdown mode. You can preserve copies of multiple mixes by renaming the file, and then choose which one you want to master by changing its name back to the original name and copying back to the SD card, thus overwriting the current mix file on the SD card.

Last edited:
The first line of your reply Mark, is what happened with me. However, changing the filename back did not restore things to normal. The rest of your post is quite clear, thanks.

I just don't get why the DP refuses to recognize the existence of the file when it is properly renamed.

mjk, just a thought.....did you retype or cut/paste when you changed the renamed file back to the original name?

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi Tom. When I changed the filename, I highlighted it, pressed F2 and added "M1" to the end of the filename (for Mix 1). When changing back, I reversed the process. I used the backspace delete key to remove M1 and saved the file. That of course changed the file's date/time stamp.

Phil, good question. positive. didn't change the file extension. i only added "M1" to the end of the name. then i removed it and saved it as such. i didn't even actually type the entire file name. oh well, it's gone now. i'll try an experiment next time and see what happens. thanks.

When I changed the filename, I highlighted it, pressed F2 and added "M1" to the end of the filename (for Mix 1). When changing back, I reversed the process. I used the backspace delete key to remove M1 and saved the file.
mjk, I think that's what you might be doing wrong.

Don't change the name using the DP. Pop out the SD card and use the computer to change the .WAV file names back and forth (as I described in my post #27), or copy the songfolder to the computer and make the changes there, preserving the original .WAV file on the SD card and then copying back to the SD card, which will overwrite the .WAV file on the SD card.

I think that when you used the DP to change the song name,you created a {songnameM1} folder with all the original files and original file names, but that doesn't change the name of the original .WAV file in the renamed song folder. Thus you get a mismatch.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Mark, I did it on the PC.

I just don't get why the DP refuses to recognize the existence of the file when it is properly renamed.

mjk, I went back to look at your post #25 that started us down this side road, and realized you wrote that after changing the {songname}.WAV file back to its original name, the DP gave you a file error when you tried to go into Mixdown mode.

That would indicate the {songname}.WAV file may have become corrupted at some point going back and forth between the new SD card and the computer, yes? (easy to test by trying to play the {songname}.WAV in any standard .wav file player)

If the {songname}.WAV became corrupted, the only solution I can see going forward is to use the USB port if you want to change the name of a {songname}.WAV file on the SD card, or move the file to/from the computer, to create/preserve alternate mixes or masters by changing the file name.

Other than that, I'll have to throw in the towel. :( I can't think of any other reason why the DP would fail to recognize a properly named {songname}.WAV file in either Mixdown or Master mode.

Last edited:
Mark, neither can I. But they did come out with a brand-new version of firmware to address this file error business. I haven't had the new firmware installed for very long, but I did do a couple things on it that have caused file errors before, but now it seems okay. I copied the file over to a Google Drive folder and it plays there. Then I just changed back the file name to the original and that's when I got the error on the DP machine. I'm chalking this up to the mysterious file error issue that was addressed by the new firmware update.

I know you put a lot of thought into this Mark, and it's appreciated.

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online